Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harvard Extension School Liberal Arts Bachelor's Degree
(07-08-2019, 11:54 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: I am not sure where to post this question so I am posting it in the General Forum.  Does anyone have any experience or background information regarding younger adults going to Harvard Extension School for the Bachelor of Liberal Arts degree?  I heard about Extension School within the last year and have limited knowledge of it. My son will be a High School Senior next year so he is going to take 12 College Credit Plus classes (early College from state of Ohio - not AP) during the next calendar year (inc. this Summer).  As we have already have invested a good amount of money in his private religious school, we are looking at various options including the traditional 4 year route.  Depending on the aid he would get, we are encouraging him to take a combination of College Credit Plus classes, Community College classes (they would be free), and CLEP classes and then earn his Associates degree.  We are looking for the best combination of lower cost to free courses and the best ROI for his degree so we are keeping options open.

Typically, the Harvard Extension Liberal Arts degree requires individuals to be working adults and have to be a minimum of 21 years of age. However, I have heard of some home schooled teens getting special permission to attend this program.  If he takes 2 years of Community College and gets his Associates Degree, he would just turn 21 before the Fall of his Junior year.  I would curious to hear about experiences with the HES Liberal Arts program and if anyone 20-30 year old children or even teens who attended?  He does not have the grades to get into Harvard in the regular route so this might be an option to get an Ivy League degree for $30k or less. Opinions welcome.

Thanks,

Education Seeker

I do know at least one homeschooled teen who did that degree, however, that was before the age restriction, and like your plan, it included an associate's through the community college first.
As a homeschooled parent who is pretty convicted that all my kids have degrees (or three) I think that it's a 2-part problem, not a 1-part problem about where to go to school
Part 1- finishing a degree in something. You can check the box, no question. And while I would never suggest someone pursue a $200,000 liberal arts degree to check the box, if you can do a work-around and do something like the big 3 for under $10k, that's one option, but the other side of the coin is that Harvard's name does have value, so I like "check the box" but not if it means debt. I think anything in this category has to be funded by savings, pell grants, scholarship, dual enrollment, etc.
because....
Part 2- they need an occupation. A liberal arts degree just delays that decision a bit, but there still has to be a decision at some point. I am a huge fan of a trade credential + a bachelor's degree (not necessarily in that order) because the bachelor's degree keeps you from hitting barriers that will pop up for those who only have their trade credential. As an example, if your son liked welding, he could complete his bachelor's in anything (business, management, etc. make sense, but liberal arts is fine) while learning his trade.
I realize that this is not the traditional path, however, the traditional path doesn't work. Traditional path = 6 years of college with only a 50% graduation rate and 30K student loan as well as another 30k borrowed by most parents and still no trade or degree most of the time. I think you have to be smarter. Focus on the endgame, which I think should include something they can do for a job PLUS a degree that keeps them climbing UP the ladder.
The days of a college degree being a golden ticket are gone. The college degree is now a filter. Having it means getting through one more level - but they still have to know how to do something. If he doesn't know what he wants to do, he can start working + volunteering + job shadowing + taking free classes through the adult education dept at the community college. Find out what this kid likes and help him find a career that matches.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harvard Extension School Liberal Arts Bachelor's Degree - by cookderosa - 07-10-2019, 02:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,613 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,456 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 771 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,702 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd