Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Initial Questions About BA History (T
(08-14-2019, 12:39 PM)natshar Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 10:14 AM)historicalarsonist Wrote: So after doing a little bit more research, just wanted to share with you guys the preliminary plan I developed with classes I absolutely need to take or know I want to take right now:

- Two Vietnam Courses @ Study.com (considerable overlap between the two as mysonx3 pointed out, makes sense to take them together)
- English Comp I & II @ Study.com (for the 6 credits of English composition gen requirement)
- Communications 101 @ Study.com (for the communications gen ed requirement)
- Calculus I @ Saylor (I believe I have already fulfilled quantitative reasoning with my GED math credit so this would just be an elective? Regardless, just want to take for fun)
- Soviet Union DSST (Plan to take prior to Sept. 30 for free retake eligibility)

I decided on the above to try and maximize the number of tests I could potentially take at Study.com this month (5 total, 2 + 3 extra for $70 each). I also definitely know I want to do Calculus, so adding it through Saylor (with the intention of self-studying via other sources) and the Soviet Union DSST (for the aforementioned free retake), and this is what I have in the works for right now. Does anyone see any issues with this initial plan? After this month, plan would probably be to put Study.com on hold and work on CLEPs/other sources.

Also, quick question - is there any particular way you guys recommend going through the Study.com courses? I haven't run into any issues, but I was a bit thrown off by the way the website seems agnostic to whether you take the quiz after each lesson or simply come back to it later. Is there a general consensus about taking the quizzes now vs. after you finish the chapter (or whole course)? What about the chapter practice exams? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Sound like a good plan. Some notes.
  • Doing 5 Study.com courses in one month is a lot. So don't get mad at yourself if you are not able to complete 5 in a month.
  • If you are good are writing or near a test center, I would recommend CLEP for English Comp instead. There is one CLEP exam that is worth 6 credits (comp I and II). There is also another clep exam that is worth only 3 (Comp I) but all multiple choice and no essay. If you know your stuff it might be worth it do the 6 credit one and just get it done way faster. If you think you need the practice with writing, though then do study.com just be aware it could take long with all of the essays you have to write. Study.com could be good though if you think you need the practice.
  • Yes the Calc would come in as a GE elective. If you like math while you are at it why not add a math associates for free. This wouldn't take any extra work or extra credits, just take math courses for some of your GE/free electives. CSM is the best course out there fun too, only $39. ALEKS is only $20 and if you can do statistics, and your choice of either pre calc or trig. College math CLEP is also supposedly easy as well and is worth 6 credits. Outside of the algebra and calculus, you'd only need to take 12 credits in other math and you can take math that is easier than calculus. Maybe even use CSM, CLEP and ALEKS as way to study for Saylor Calculus.
  • I'd recommend doing the free ethics course to get the ethics requirement done. You might be able to finish it in a day or less it all depends on the person. Also, do the free sophia courses, you finish them both in a day as well.
  • Plan study.com carefully as 90 credits the max from study.com and you can also only do 5 exams a month max as well.

1. You are definitely right about 5 courses on Study.com being a lot, but it's more of a high aspiration than a hard requirement. I'll have to see how it goes, and then potentially adjust my goals in the future. I am confident that I have a reasonable probability of completion though.

2. I am super confident in my writing, but also super rusty. It's been over 7 years since I've written an essay. Although I feel it's like riding a bike, I would like some practice prior to taking a bunch of classes with writing assignments. I think it will probably make life a bit easier.

3. Pardon my ignorance, but could you explain what the benefits are of getting an associate along with a bachelor's degree? I wasn't that even aware that it was an option, but it sounds like I will basically stumble into one. In my preliminary plan for the rest of my gen ed electives, I have already planned on taking discrete math, statistics, etc.

4. Good recommendation on the ethics course, I will definitely use that for this requirement.

5. I was aware of this credit max, but wasn't too worried about it because I doubt I'll hit the 90 credit max on Study.com alone. I already have preliminary plans to take a lot of CLEP exams as well as a few SL/DSST and even a couple at TESU (to hit the 16 credit requirement for residency waiver). I will keep this in mind, however.

As always, thank you a ton for the wealth of information. It makes the process so much easier and assuring.

(08-14-2019, 01:04 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: I think for your "final" transcript at EC and TESU the grade will not be shown, it will just be P/F. Only COSC shows external grades to some extend and only if it is direct, not through ACE. I'm not sure about the policies, but be sure to check if it is really important to you. (Or do you just don't want C's on your transcript, but P's are fine?)

Yeah, I think you basically nailed it. I was always self-conscious about GPA stuff in school, and I don't think that ever went away. If it's P/F, then that's that. If not, I would definitely like to avoid low percentages showing up on my transcript as much as possible.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Initial Questions About BA History (T - by historicalarsonist - 08-14-2019, 01:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 810 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Lightbulb TESU - Course Transfer Questions mweichert 12 1,021 02-15-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 618 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  French international student questions about TESU BACS azuki 19 1,818 11-03-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  International students would like to ask some questions. Ron9 4 772 11-02-2023, 11:25 AM
  Study.com Transfer to TESU Questions Carnation 14 1,630 11-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  few questions about TESU sekiflying 3 431 08-20-2023, 11:13 AM
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 429 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  Two questions regarding to 1. TESU second degree and 2. bachelor to master program lylx1981 5 1,601 05-17-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Henry_Patterson
  Testing out of History & Civics and Ethical Leadership requirements? WHOASIS1 6 794 03-31-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore