Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pell grant?
(11-21-2019, 11:40 AM)mikepro Wrote: Can you use your Pell grant for any of these services SL/SDC etc etc? My employer has tuition reimbursement that can pay for my actual tuition so would like to use pell grant for these

Pell Grant and Tuition Reimbursement are different funding sources. If I understand your question, you're hoping to use a Pell to pay for your classes and then ALSO get your company to cut you a check? Double-dipping? That will be tough since any type of billing documents are going to show that your Pell Grant has been applied to your tuition.

Here's the thing, you need to figure out if you want to go fast or you want full funding - the one that is more important to you will determine the best strategy for you to use.

For instance, say you want FAST. In that case, you can do (roughly) the first 90 college credits (3 years) in 1 year and it will cost you about $3,000 cash. This was the approach I took with my degrees from Thomas Edison. Since CLEP is currently free, you could do that for much less money now as well, but people who quickly knock out credits are usually testing out.

Now, say you want FREE. In that case, you can do your entire degree using a Pell Grant by taking classes - but that will follow a traditional timeline. This was the approach my husband took with his degrees since he has had employer reimbursement twice. This requires an initial investment for your first semester,'s tuition but then if you're disciplined, every reimbursement should then be used to pay for the NEXT semester, which is what we did. That way you're fully funding at the start when tuition is due.

Messages In This Thread
Pell grant? - by mikepro - 11-21-2019, 11:40 AM
RE: Pell grant? - by BrighterFuture88 - 11-21-2019, 11:47 AM
RE: Pell grant? - by davewill - 11-21-2019, 06:25 PM
RE: Pell grant? - by dfrecore - 11-21-2019, 07:16 PM
RE: Pell grant? - by allvia - 11-22-2019, 09:24 AM
RE: Pell grant? - by dfrecore - 11-27-2019, 04:30 PM
RE: Pell grant? - by cookderosa - 11-28-2019, 07:57 AM