Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG, I need glasses! What would you do?
(09-29-2020, 04:22 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Instead of going local, order glasses through Zenni. Zenni's been really good to me and they're super cheap compared to local glasses. The only thing you'll need, which your prescription probably doesn't have, is your PD or pupil distance. You can measure this yourself or you can go back to the eye doctor and insist they do it for you.

With Zenni so cheap, you can order multiple glasses for the same price as a single pair. You can order bifocals AND progressives AND individual glasses and still pay less than you'd pay at your local optician. This way you can discover for yourself what works best for you.

Word of advice: pay extra for the anti-oil coating. It makes cleaning your glasses sooooo much easier. I think it adds an extra $5 or $10 to each pair at Zenni but it will literally save you hours of work over the life of your glasses. My first pair of glasses was local and they wanted to charge something like $30 for that coating so I said no. The lack of coating makes them awful to wear because they need constant careful cleaning. And they don't even fit as well as the ones I got at Zenni.

Rachel83az, I'd support your suggestion for Zenni, but with a caveat.
I got progressives and love them, but I got them at... Costco? When I wanted to try Zenni, an optometrist who didn't sell glasses and didn't have a dog in the fight said that buying progressives online could cause problems with the lens having the three parts in the correct place for an individual's pupils. I don't think it was the PD; I think it was something else and it's specific to each size of lens and frame. (I think I'm remembering this correctly.)

How did I solve it and buy at Zenni? I looked for glasses from them that were as close in size and shape to what I'd gotten from ?Costco? and they work like a charm.

As most of you may know, there's a big Italian monopoly that produces something like 75% of ALL frames and a large percent of the lenses. They also own many of the ... what's the term when you own the chain? I mean like you own the coal mine, you own the train line, and you own the steel mills. Whatever that term is, that company's like that, too. This monopoly owns many of the eyeglass chains and optometry chains.

Don't you wonder why your cell phone can get more and more advanced, but the price doesn't increase significantly? And glasses, which really don't evolve much cost an outrageous price? Blame that Italian monopoly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LongRoad's post:
  • rachel83az

Messages In This Thread
RE: OMG, I need glasses! What would you do? - by LongRoad - 09-30-2020, 10:37 AM
RE: OMG, I need glasses! What would you do? - by studyandpass5 - 09-30-2020, 02:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Pair of Prescription Glasses! Add-ons available... bjcheung77 7 1,233 05-12-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Vle045