Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity
(11-18-2020, 04:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just wondering why are you looking for a PhD in Biblical Studies, what's your end goal?  And also curious if you're looking for similar alternatives?  If other alternatives are acceptable, what would that be?  I'll check your other thread, it may lead me to more questions and answers! But by skimming through this thread, I would refrain from any non accredited degree program for now until you dig deeper...  If you were up for an ED with focus in Christian Ministry, I would have recommended you this, but it's 3 years and 16K : https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Doctorates

End goal? - Several: (well, two)

1. I enjoy the academic challenge, have the time (5 days a week/10 hr days), and have several Bible related topics I would like to pursue through advanced research. 
2. I would love to teach at a seminary online, asynchronously. Even better would be a position as a mentor like at Redemption Seminary or CES where you are assigned a certain number of students and you follow them through their entire program. Redemption wants a PhD to do this and, although they currently accept unaccredited, they won't if they receive accreditation in the future. I don't think CES will ever get accreditation. 

That's it. Those are my two main goals for pursing a PhD. I'm not doing it for money or fame. In fact, I would absolutely love to toil away quietly as a modern hermit academic in a seminary somewhere, penniless, spending my days reading and writing and conversing with students about the biblical minutia. But, sadly, I think those days are gone (if they ever existed to begin with). 

I have looked at alternate PhDs from EDs to ThDs to DMins. Even the PhD in Biblical Studies is slightly off topic from my real research interests (Death, Consciousness, Afterlife, Persecution, Christian Philosophy). 

Unfortunately the Evangelia University ED won't cut it. 1. It's nationally accredited (which isn't a deal breaker but keep reading). 2. It's way off topic. 3. It's $16k. 4. It takes 3 years.

Liberty University's PhD in Bible Exposition is Regionally accredited, is closer to topic, only takes 2 years, and is $14k all in. But, I really can't afford that, which is why I would settle for a Nationally accredited seminary if the price were similar to NationsU. Unfortunately, even though there are seminaries that do have that price point, they are ALL unaccredited.

Personally I have no problem with unaccredited seminaries. My research has revealed many have the same rigor in curriculum. Yet, the problem lies with the huge limitation those degrees will have in securing and keeping employment in the future. This leaves me in no man's land in between RA (outpriced) and No accreditation (no legitimacy or employment opportunity in the long run).

Kind of a catch 22.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity - by isaachunter - 11-18-2020, 05:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,737 537,210 9 hours ago
Last Post: Thorne
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 199 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 712 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,858 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 493 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,315 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Utah Eccles Master of Business Creation (MBC) Jonathan Whatley 0 193 03-29-2024, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 369 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 610 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,638 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner