Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Graduated!/UMPI Degree Plan For Fiancé
I always meant to do an “I did it!” post with my finalized degree plan, costs, and a HUGE thank you to this helpful group as I graduated with my Bachelor’s of Science in Business Administration in General Management from Thomas Edison State University last year on 12/11/2020 but I imagine my catalog is outdated. This invaluable resource has truly changed the course of my life and I wouldn’t be where I am today without happening upon this forum. If you have contributed anything to this space, I have probably read it and taken a ridiculous amount of notes from it, so I greatly appreciate everyone here. Anyways, here I am, asking for help again as my fiancé is embarking on his own journey to get his bachelor's degree.

Working backward, ultimately my fiancé is looking to get his secondary/single subject teaching credentials in California. There’s talk, not an official offer, from his alma mater private high school looking to hire him as a chemistry or math teacher (pre-degree and pre-credential) this upcoming Fall 2022 if he runs their baseball program. There isn’t necessarily a rush to finish a degree but I think having his bachelor’s completed or mostly completed could help with salary negotiations and increase his chances as a candidate. We would also like to get him started in the process of getting credentialed so he has more options in the future, potentially a move to the public sector. I got email confirmation that the local teaching credential school will accept a UMPI bachelor’s as I was concerned about the transcript having most credits labeled as “CR” (Credit) and not graded. One day, we would love to go after our Master’s degrees together at Western Governors University. I’m looking into WGU’s Masters of Arts in Teaching in Mathematics Education (Secondary) leading to licensure as a possibility for him but the teaching credential process is a whole other world for me to learn about and we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. I am primarily focused on getting his bachelor’s out of the way.

As for our priorities, it’s the classic battle between time and money when going about this process and this time around, we are looking to save money as we plan on getting married next year. I recently jumped back into researching on this forum and it looks like UMPI is the way to go. So far, I am assuming his best course of action would be pursuing a Bachelor’s of Arts in Liberal Studies in Management as he has completed 90+ lower-level credits from various sources so he’d hopefully only need to do 30 credits at UMPI. Just to hit every box on what you need to know, my fiancé is 25 years old and although he applied for the FAFSA, we are prepared to pay out of pocket.

I attached a Google Sheet link below with a tab of completed credits and another tab with a degree plan I’ll fill in once I find out some more information. If possible, can you let me know if I am heading in the right direction and if I am missing anything?

Also, can we pause UMPI in between terms like Study.com? I can’t seem to find information on this. Let’s say we pay for and complete one term, can we hold off on paying and enrolling into the second term if we wanted to take a few months off? I ask because my fiancé’s baseball coaching job has on and off seasons throughout the year so we would like to plan which terms on UMPI’s academic calendar we would like to participate in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y9V2MiSfshQPRRTLrWk2eVX5tq0na5aojauGR6nuN2k/edit?usp=sharin

Messages In This Thread
I Graduated!/UMPI Degree Plan For Fiancé - by karaloehrer - 11-23-2021, 06:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 9 148 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 580 9 hours ago
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,143 11 hours ago
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,894 Today, 12:31 AM
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 186 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 190 Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,102 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 522 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,289 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 470 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP