Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you ever felt embarrassed by your lack of a degree?
snazzlefrag Wrote:Spazz,

The vast majority of undergraduate degrees require a total of 30-60 credits for a major. That leaves 60-90 credits unaccounted for. Are you suggesting that if a school is not one of "these liberal arts schools you attend" (nice jab Spazz), all those remaining credits will be labs/lectures that correspond to your major?

Am I misunderstanding you? Virtually every college in America is going to require you to obtain a liberal arts education, to some extent, as part of your degree.

Coming from England, I can tell you that to us Brits...EVERY American University is a 'liberal arts' college. In Britain you usually ONLY study subjects directly relating to your degree title, for three years straight...and then you get your degree in that subject. If you are reading Math....that is EXACTLY and ENTIRELY all you will read, for three years!

You are a math major of some kind, right? I find it hard to believe that RIT requires you to earn ALL 120 credits in math subjects and related "labs/lectures". No history? No humanities? No social science?

Here is a quote from the very first paragraph of the RIT School of Science catalog (this school encompasses the math department):
http://www.rit.edu/%7E932www/ugrad_bulle...fs/cos.pdf[INDENT]"Undergraduates in the College of Science receive a unique education, one that emphasizes the applications of science and mathematics in the professional world while providing a comprehensive liberal arts education in the humanities and social sciences."

[/INDENT]So my question is this: What the heck are you talking about?

Please THINK before you post a message to the board Spazz. Just take a second or two to read over what you write, and see if it is a sensible, reasonable, and well thought out thing to say. If it isn't, don't press the button to submit your post to the board.

Remember, if what you have written smells like a piece of crap, you are most likely talking out of your ass.

For all your academic snobbery, you appear to lack maturity, insight, wisdom, and basic common sense.

If you can't manage to come up with anything productive, supportive, encouraging, or even just basically rational to say, then by all means, don't say anything! In so doing, you will do yourself, the members of this board, and the venerable Rochester Institute of Technology, a great service!

Thanks,
Snazzlefrag

Uhhh??? WHAT school only has 30 major requirements? Most schools in the United states are not Liberal arts schools so they do not have many of these "bullshit" classes. (I never said liberal arts schools are bad, that is something you assumed) I will say that most schools do have between 15-30 credits of classes considered bullshit, but fundamental to their curriculm (Oral comm, Specialized ENG, etc) This is because of the high school system in the US is so below average, that we have added 1 year to reteach everything that you were supposed to learn in highschool. Hence why British University is only 3 years instead of the US 4 years.

One of the admins made a post about how opinions are welcome but insults are not (I believe this was you, but anyway).

You should take your own advice and stop these direct attacks (academic snobbery, you appear to lack maturity, insight, wisdom, and basic common sense.).

You are in no position to make these assumptions. Not only because you attend an online school with no status in society, but I have probably achieved more in the last year, then you have in your entire life.

Maybe you should stop reading this forum and start focusing on society to get the big picture. People generally look down on distance learning and specially testing out of subjects. Like I have explained before it is very superficial, but now I realize that YOU are very superficial. You obviously have a hard time seeing reality while in your little bubble.

Messages In This Thread
Have you ever felt embarrassed by your lack of a degree? - by spazz - 08-30-2006, 11:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 541 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 488 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 528 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
Shocked Businesses Are Shutting Down Due to Lack of Workers!!! LevelUP 37 3,013 08-10-2021, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 950 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,567 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,665 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,634 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  For Sale: Southeastern US Bachelor Degree Granting College bjcheung77 6 1,953 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: lillingworth