Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan – BS Math Major at Excelsior
*****Note: Excelsior is currently considering whether to continue to offer GREs for credit. Be sure to check with Excelsior about this opportunity which may still be available! Also check the policies at Charter Oak and Empire State, if you plan to take the Subject GRE for credit.*****
See the GRE thread for more recent info: http://degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5898

Please see my final transcript/degree plan posted here - http://degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.p...#pid139048

This is going to take more courage to post than I expected.

Less than a year ago, I found out that Texas A&M is offering a Master’s in Biostatistics program entirely online. That is the degree that I want so now I just need a Bachelor’s degree and I would like to major in math.

If I had to create my dream college plan of what I really want to learn at the undergraduate level, this would be it.

Is it possible that in just these 15 “easy” steps I could have a degree?

Will Excelsior accept this much testing for credit toward a degree?

I realize that some of my credits overlap with credits for the GREs (I’m doing that on purpose to make sure I have a good foundation for the GREs) and that I may not get full credit for the GREs, so I may have to plan to take some extra exams. (I also need some computer courses which are prerequisites for the Master’s program.)

I am planning to study for 1 month for 3 credit tests, 2 months for 6 credit tests, 1 year for GREs, and 2 years while studying for other exams for the 12 credit language tests. I expect this to take at least 5 years to complete. I want to create a good foundation for the Master’s program.

Any comments would be appreciated. Am I understanding how to put together a degree plan correctly? I feel like I may be missing something important. I will check with Excelsior about my plan, but I wanted to know your thoughts.

Thank you all for creating such an excellent support network for the college exam process!

NAP

Bachelor of Science Degree for Math Major at Excelsior College

Requirements: 120 credits total with 30 upper level credits

Written English Requirement: 3 credits

General Education Requirement: 24 credits
(I chose the 9/6/9 credit combination of Humanities, Social Sciences/History, Natural Sciences/Math)

Additional Arts and Sciences Electives: 33 credits
Total Arts and Sciences: 60 credits with 21 upper level

---Major Option (or Depth Requirement 1):
30-33 credits in single arts and sciences discipline with 15 upper level, plus Research and Writing in the Major (I am going to do this even though it is not required for a Math major so that I will have it as a foundation for the Master’s program.)

---Depth Requirement 2:
12 credits in a single applied professional or arts and sciences discipline with 3 upper level

---Area of Focus (optional):
21 credits in a single applied professional or arts and sciences discipline with 6 upper level

Applied Professional Credits or Additional Arts and Sciences: 59 credits with 9 upper level, plus Information Literacy 1 credit

**Note: If enrolling after July 1, 2010, there is a new capstone course requirement for Bachelor's degrees in the school of Liberal Arts.

My Degree Plan

English Composition I course – 3 credits *

Humanities:

Spanish I course – 4 credits *
French CLEP – 6/12 credits
German CLEP – 6/12 credits
+ Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP – 6 credits *
Research and Writing in the Major EC course – 1 upper-level credit (optional for Math majors and non-majors)

Social Sciences/History:

US History I CLEP – 3 credits *
US History II CLEP – 3 credits *
+ Civil War & Reconstruction DANTES – 3 upper-level credits *
+ American Government CLEP – 3 credits * (political science and does not count toward history depth)
+ may need one more history exam to complete a depth in history

Natural Sciences/Math:

College Algebra II course – 3 credits * (unknown if credit overlaps with Math GRE)
Astronomy DANTES – 3 credits *
Chemistry CLEP – 6 credits *
Biology CLEP – 6 credits *
+ Natural Sciences CLEP – 6 credits *
+ College Math CLEP – 6 credits * (credit overlaps with Math GRE)
PreCalculus CLEP/ALEKS – 3 credits (credit overlaps with Math GRE, using as preparation for Math GRE)
Calculus CLEP – 3 credits (credit overlaps with Math GRE, using as preparation for Math GRE)
Statistics DANTES – 3 credits
+ instead may do Intro to Statistics ALEKS – 3 upper-level credits (For non-math majors, this would count towards a depth in Math.)

Other:

Information Literacy EC course – 1 credit *
+ new non-credit orientation requirement *

+ NFA Q318 - Fire Service Supervision – 1 credit *
+ NFA Q118 - Community Safety Educators – 1 credit
+ NFA Q137 - Hydraulic Calculations – 1 credit

*****Note: Excelsior is currently considering whether to continue to offer GREs for credit. Be sure to check with Excelsior about this opportunity which may still be available! Also check the policies at Charter Oak and Empire State, if you plan to take the Subject GRE for credit.*****
See the GRE thread for more recent info: http://degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5898

Major Option/Depth 1/Area of Focus:

Math GRE – up to 33 credits with up to 21 upper level

Depth 2:

Biochemistry GRE – up to 30 credits with up to 18 upper level

Area of Focus/Depth 2:

Computer Science GRE – up to 30 credits with up to 18 upper level
+ Intro to Computing DANTES – 3 credits * (unknown if credit overlaps with Computer Science GRE)
+ Information Systems & Computer Applications CLEP – 3 credits ** (credit does NOT overlap with Computer Science GRE)
+ Management Information Systems DANTES – 3 upper-level credits ** (credit does NOT overlap with Computer Science GRE)
+ possibly ICDL - up to 7 credits (unknown if credit overlaps with Computer Science GRE or Intro DANTES)
more computer courses (Basic/C++/Fortran) as prerequisite for master's program (plus could complete a depth in computing)

How does this look?

--
started studying for exams 1/09 with 10 credits from previous coursework
* = Associate in Science Degree completed 4/10 and conferred 6/10 - http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post79686
** = done toward Bachelor's degree (total of 66 credits so far!)
+ = add to original plan
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Messages In This Thread
Degree Plan – BS Math Major at Excelsior - by NAP - 02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Degree Plan - BS Math Major at Excelsior - by NAP - 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,205 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,675 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,871 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,778 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,008 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,965 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,326 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,686 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero