Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Grad School Thoughts - Masters/PHD
(01-18-2018, 12:38 PM)posabsolute Wrote: I kind of go back and forth between WGU or Patten MBA, WGU feels a safer bet, with a clearer path, altho it will perhaps take 2 terms and is almost double the cost.

Haha, that's what I tell people as well... the reason I wanted Hodges was for their MIS program, but I can't start it until May. So, that's out of the question. For the others, I would recommend calling in ASAP, like today to see if they can get admitted... otherwise, choose Patten/WGU. It's an easier choice now for me, instead of three schools, it's now dropped down to two. The Hodges is an "in between" MIS I wanted to get before heading into WGU's MBA IT (when it gets ACBSP).

For BearEDU, If you're looking for a good Masters program and competency based, you may want to take the WGU MSML in 1 term. A few members are taking it and some have finished it already in 1 term for cheap/easy/fast. You can take a month or two off and start it in April, after you have been conferred and graduated from TESU. They will not admit anyone until they have paper in hand - I think Hodges is the same thing, they're both very strict on all rules/regulations in regards to any policy in their catalog.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-18-2018, 12:57 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 12:38 PM)posabsolute Wrote: I kind of go back and forth between WGU or Patten MBA, WGU feels a safer bet, with a clearer path, altho it will perhaps take 2 terms and is almost double the cost.

Haha, that's what I tell people as well... the reason I wanted Hodges was for their MIS program, but I can't start it until May. So, that's out of the question. For the others, I would recommend calling in ASAP, like today to see if they can get admitted... otherwise, choose Patten/WGU. It's an easier choice now for me, instead of three schools, it's now dropped down to two. The Hodges is an "in between" MIS I wanted to get before heading into WGU's MBA IT (when it gets ACBSP).

For BearEDU, If you're looking for a good Masters program and competency based, you may want to take the WGU MSML in 1 term. A few members are taking it and some have finished it already in 1 term for cheap/easy/fast. You can take a month or two off and start it in April, after you have been conferred and graduated from TESU. They will not admit anyone until they have paper in hand - I think Hodges is the same thing, they're both very strict on all rules/regulations in regards to any policy in their catalog.

Yea I'm going to call in tomorrow. I'm trying to avoid having to to do a capstone lol but it seems like a single capstone paper is eaiser.

is the MSML easier than MBA? I see that MSML requires you to work with a business it seems for the capstone

Nice I see no math in the msml lol I feel better now and it's close to a MPA.

Thanks, I feel less stress about Hodges now seeing this option. I'm not sure about patten cause I read mixed reviews about it. I just know WGU has a huge reputation it was actually the first school I looked at years ago.

What's your opinion between the two? Regarding course work and ease?
My Plan: Earn a MSML or a MBA at WGU!
I am almost done with my BSBA double concentration, thinking of doing the WGU MS Accounting, but may change that.
Basically, I am looking into the MBA or MSML from WGU as well. There are a few courses that overlap from this page.
MBA is geared for the private sector and MSML is geared for public or non-profit leadership and management positions.
WGU MBA vs MSML link: https://www.wgu.edu/blogpost/mba-vs-ms-m...leadership
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
Yep seems like need to have degree on hand first before you can apply to Hodges. I guess I will have a couple of months to figure out Patten vs WGU. Going to do a MSML most likely at WGU to get that checkmark and if anything a MBA is only 6 courses from MSML in WGU. So thats something I can consider later on. Now time to figure out financial aid! You guys applying for financial aid for graduate schools?

MSML i think there is math in this course Big Grinata-Driven Decision Making

There is group work for MSML in one of the tasks just not in the capstone.

Some people are worried about the WGU audit https://www.wgu.edu/oig-audit-report. I think WGU was targeted because they are the most well known but it affects every CBE program depending on what happens next to WGU.
BearEDU - WGU is my first choice, it's got so many people such as Obama and Gates showing their interest in the school. The OIG is just an Audit, it's not like they're going to shut down WGU just because of the findings from the audit. Even if they find faults, they'll have recommendations to get past those minor shortcomings if any. Haha, I like that - the MSML and MBA combo for the win!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-20-2018, 12:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: BearEDU - WGU is my first choice, it's got so many people such as Obama and Gates showing their interest in the school. The OIG is just an Audit, it's not like they're going to shut down WGU just because of the findings from the audit. Even if they find faults, they'll have recommendations to get past those minor shortcomings if any. Haha, I like that - the MSML and MBA combo for the win!

Lol yea definitely the moment I sent ppl that link with their quotes ppl just go oh wow =). Makes you feel like u are attending an ivy league school.

Im about 80% sure I'm going to WGU for my MSML. Just waiting for the graduation from TESU. My capstone ends in about two days. Thank you guys for pushing me to take the capstone early instead of waiting a month.
(08-21-2017, 12:41 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Patten Tuition: anyone got a corp discount code for $1900/4 months? http://patten.edu/admissions/online-tuition/
Patten Online Degrees List: http://patten.edu/patten-online/online-degree-programs/
The Patten MBA has 7 concentrations, I am thinking of going for the Finance option
Do you know more about Patten's corp discounts (or any other ways to make Patten cheaper/better)? Does a corp code only save $96 per term?
I'm back to strongly considering the Patten MBA. My concentration would be IT or Finance. WGU's ITM is third on my graduate program list right now.
I'm still sad about Hodges MIS being gone though, although I don't think I would have been ready for a while.

(01-18-2018, 05:19 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: Basically, I am looking into the MBA or MSML from WGU as well.  There are a few courses that overlap from this page.
MBA is geared for the private sector and MSML is geared for public or non-profit leadership and management positions.
WGU MBA vs MSML link: https://www.wgu.edu/blogpost/mba-vs-ms-m...leadership

Oh, I wish they would have an MPA instead of MSML.

What are your top reasons for not considering Patten's MBAs, if you know?

(01-19-2018, 12:07 PM)BearEDU Wrote: I guess I will have a couple of months to figure out Patten vs WGU. Going to do a MSML most likely at WGU to get that checkmark and if anything a MBA is only 6 courses from MSML in WGU. So thats something I can consider later on. Now time to figure out financial aid! You guys applying for financial aid for graduate schools? 

Have you gotten closer to deciding Patten vs. WGU? I'm thinking Patten for myself.

I was thinking of taking out a loan, but I think that would delay my start. It just seems like there would be paperwork and problems. Also I don't think I can get a federal loan for Patten because you have to apply for the loan through the FAFSA process? "Patten University does not participate in federal student aid programs." That is a downside for Patten for me, but I think I might (try to) race and finish in 1 term. So a $2000 degree is a big upside, and they do have their 4 installment option for only an extra $84 in fees.

I feel like the Finance concentration at Patten might take me longer than the IT concentration, but I'm going to research about careers in Finance.

You know, I'm looking again at Patten and WGU and I'm trying really hard not to go for Patten...

WGU year cost 7500$. No way I can do it in 6 months..
Patten 8 months cost 4000$
Patten has no capstone, no group work

But..
Patten is a for-profit :/
Patten reviews are average..

And I'm canadian, so the cost for me is:
9464$ vs 5047$ = 4417$ between the 2..
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(02-20-2018, 10:51 AM)posabsolute Wrote: You know, I'm looking at Patten and WGU and I'm trying really hard not to go for Patten...

WGU year cost 7500$. No way I can do it in 6 months..
Patten 8 months cost 4000$
Patten has no capstone, no group work
But..
Patten is a for-profit :/
Patten reviews are average..

You think you can definitely finish in 8 months? What about 2 months of self-study and try to finish WGU in 6 months?

I think many of Patten's mediocre and negative reviews are from students who want more instruction and less self-study.

My tentative plan is Patten, but I can't decide on a concentration yet. I am interested in 3 concentrations. I would try to do 3 months of self-study before enrolling, and complete in 4 months. I would make sure to have less going on in my life. I feel that because of having the BSBA knowledge, 4 months is doable for me even without studying in advance.

Yeah there is no way for me, Sometimes work is insane and I can't touch my courses for a week, plus the whole aligning the capstone at the right time makes it almost impossible.

I'm not 100% sure about the 8 months but I'm pretty sure I can do it.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grad Degrees with generous credit transfer NotJoeBiden 8 532 03-02-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  PhD for as little as $1290,66 p/a at a top 150 school. Personherebb9 44 6,820 01-25-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Tireman4
  Online MS Biological Sciences - 8 Months - Automatic Admission to Medical School Captainrekt000 4 555 12-07-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  PhD - Swiss School of Business Research? michaeladsmith2 15 2,359 10-23-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Has anyone tried esneca business school? aquickquestion 8 1,801 10-06-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  ESC Clermont Business School DBA durain 9 1,692 08-02-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: durain
  Texila & UCN - Masters/PhD Programs bjcheung77 5 2,883 06-13-2023, 04:21 AM
Last Post: ZoeRo
  EdS/Phd Hybrid/Online School Psychology programs? nyvrem 7 2,320 09-02-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  funding sources for Law School without six figures of loan debt EducationSeeker 8 1,190 07-28-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Montpellier Business School Online DBA, AACSB durain 14 3,483 06-14-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: durain