Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to Rewrite History...Good Idea or Bad Idea?
Ok a little update, so for you old-timers around here, you know I landed here 3 1/2 yrs ago after losing my job because I didn't finish my ADN nursing degree at EC. The then new President at my school at that time felt a nurse was needed to teach the program that I developed, started and grew over 6 yrs at the school. BTW, they have never found anyone to replace me and the program that averaged 96 students a year under me has dwindled to less than 20 a year with part-time, non-nurse instructors who don't last more than a semester or two! I still teach for them one class a year as an adjunct. I was ok for part-time work, but not full-time, go figure!

Fast forward to this week and I have an appt with the new President (new as of Feb.) at that same school to try and sell some new programs and myself. I now come prepared with not only my AS degree, but two bachelor's and a master degree along with a grad certificate and another certification almost done. I'm feeling much more confident I hope that this President isn't strictly focused on the paper on the wall, but in what I have to offer as a person and an instructor. Yes, my wall is now full of paper, but I'm not sure that has changed me as a person or instructor. I have had some great opportunities since I left with my current school as well as a few promotions so it has been a learning and growing experience for which I'm grateful.

If you have a few extra spots in your prayers and thoughts send a good one my way this week. I would love to go home! I really love this school and feel that I made such a great contribution while I was there. Students still ask for me, so I would love to make this transition and come full circle. It would be gratifying to make this circle and come back in a positive way and turn that hard, dark time in my life into a shining example of the good that can come out of adversity. It is the only job I have ever lost in my life, and I was doing a great job...their words. I hope that if this turns around it will be an inspiring story for others that might be in a similar position. Wish me luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Marianne,

Wonderful News, a great opportunity for you to make a solid contribution! Kudos!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Wooooooowwww that's interesting!! You know my story, and we share such similar paths, I can't help but imagine what it would be like taking over my old program too ;p Well, this will be interesting for you to say the least!! Have you thought of what you'll say? As I was reading it, I thought you might be able to look like a team player (as opposed to an ousted ex-employee) by saying what a positive experience it has all been...how it you had ignored your education and lost sight of the value and how amazing this has all been and how it's been for the best and you're so excited to come back as the new-and-improved Marianne!
***as an applied science teacher too, you and I both know that's a bunch of horse shit, but the academic deans are all school with little to no industry experience so they don't have a clue about occupational skill let alone value them***

Anyway, I hope you get it. You're so friggin qualified now, whoever your dept chair is better fear for their job Smile Go get em!!!
Marianne,

All the luck in the world to you!
Sounds like the new president might be intimidated now, perhaps you'll replace him down the road, heh.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
You have my best wishes and prayers..

Also you have re-inspired me to keep moving forward..I have twice now been denied upper management jobs because of no degree.
So with only 30 credits to go I am almost there..
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
In a really weird speech, someone once said something like, "If you sit by the side of the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will pass by." Seems like that's happened to you. My best wishes are coming your way, but you won't need anything. You'll wow them.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 666 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 751 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,750 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 690 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  Windows 11 Home Upgrade - Pretty Good bjcheung77 3 869 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Kids Idea Tank Alpha 0 761 04-02-2021, 07:50 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,667 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Shocker - Common Core not giving good outcomes dfrecore 16 2,700 04-24-2020, 02:18 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Is a psychology or history degree useless? missbootyfull 6 1,994 08-12-2019, 12:51 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  where's a good place to relocate if you're in tech ? nyvrem 9 2,016 03-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Last Post: alab21