Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S.A.L.U.T.E Veterans National Honors Society
Greetings to all,

This is my first post so please excuse any newbie mistakes.

I am happy to report that I graduated from Excelsior College with a B.S. this summer. I am proud of this accomplishment, considering the sacrifices and hardships many of us (and our families) endure during our military careers. By the same token, I am equally excited about my recent induction into the S.A.L.U.T.E Veterans National Honors Society.

I didn't know the benefits of joining an academic society until recently. I wanted to share this bit of information with my Battles who may be unaware that induction into a post-secondary academic honors society has the potential boost to your military and/or civilian resume (I'm retiring soon). I've included a link to an article that I believe dissects the value of academic honor societies with great clarity.

Are College Honor Societies Really Worth It?

***Note: I did not qualify for acceptance into a traditional Greek Honors Society because I did not meet the minimum credit requirement; although I did meet the GPA requirement. I suspect many of our Battles may run into the same issue considering the fact we transfer bulk credits. The S.A.L.U.T.E Veterans National Honors Society provides Service Members the opportunity to be inducted into an academic honors society based on GPA and without regard to a total credit requirement. If you don't qualify for a traditional Academic Honors Society, this Veteran's Honors Society is a great alternative.

Induction into an Academic Honors Society such as S.A.L.U.T.E would make a great bullet for Military Evaluation Reports (NCOER's, EPR's, etc...)

Home - SALUTE National Honor Society for Veterans

I hope this helps someone.

Regards,

1SGM.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1578[/ATTACH]
I agree the S.A.L.U.T.E Veterans National Honors Society for Veterans is a great deal!:hurray:

What is Battles?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Life Long Learning Wrote:I agree the S.A.L.U.T.E Veterans National Honors Society for Veterans is a great deal!:hurray:

What is Battles?

Plural for Battle. Short for the term Battle Buddy.

Example: A military member or veteran is my Battle. A group of military members or veterans are my Battles.

:patriot:
OK, I do understand battle buddy. I did three decades myself. Did you apply directly to SALUTE or through Excelsior?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I appreciate your service, Battle. I did not apply through Excelsior because their SALUTE Chapter is closed. I applied to the National Chapter at Colorado State University and was accepted.

-1SGM.
Very Cool and Congratulations.cheersmate

1SGM Wrote:I appreciate your service, Battle. I did not apply through Excelsior because their SALUTE Chapter is closed. I applied to the National Chapter at Colorado State University and was accepted.

-1SGM.

EC Students,

***Update: The Excelsior College SALUTE Chapter is up and running now.

Cheers!
Anyone know where to check tosee if this is a 'recognized' honor society for FedGov application purposes?
Pursuing TESC BSBA CIS: ~100/120

CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology: April 2014

CLEP: Humanities, A&I Lit, SocSci & History, Intro Sociology, English Comp, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Management, History of the US I/II, Intro to Computing

DSST: InfoSys & Comp Apps, Intro to the Modern Middle East, Management Information Systems, Fundamentals of Cybersecurity, Human Resource Management, Principles of Supervision, Western Europe since 1945

AMU: Public Speaking, History of Explosive Ordnance Disposal, College Algebra

ALS (CCAF): Leadership/Management I, Managerial Communication I, Military Studies I

Sophia: Microeconomics

Straighterline: Accounting I/II

TECEP: English Comp I/II, Computer Concepts & Applications, Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics, Strategic Management (March 2017 Semester)

TESU OL: Python Programming (March 2017 Semester), Systems Analysis & Design I (March 2017 Semester)
Honor Society is 1 of 3 ways you can get a gs7 instead of the standard gs5 for 4 year degree holders. The society will normally have to be part of the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS), which SALUTE isn't. The other two ways to show superior academic achievement are:S.A.A. is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership.

Class standing -- Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses.
Grade-point average (G.P.A.)-- Applicants must have a grade-point average of:
3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or
3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.
Do you have to attend Colorado State to join the society?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best and Worst Colleges for Veterans sanantone 9 5,481 09-05-2023, 03:20 AM
Last Post: AUDACITY4U
  National University Alpha 0 1,385 04-29-2021, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  New Benefit for Veterans Receiving Disability jamshid666 3 2,666 10-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Last Post: tesu-acct-student
  Free Coding bootcamps for veterans: VET TEC program through the VA MNomadic 10 4,225 06-22-2019, 09:21 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Certificates in Services for Veterans Jonathan Whatley 1 1,871 06-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Busch Gardens or SeaWorld free for veterans MNomadic 0 1,364 05-20-2019, 11:35 PM
  Trump moves to cancel student loan debt for disabled veterans decimon 11 5,835 05-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Last Post: frank.f.franky
  Free Splunk Training for Veterans jamshid666 3 3,785 04-26-2018, 05:45 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  T-Mobile and Fourblock launch online mooc program for veterans MNomadic 0 1,960 04-18-2018, 02:45 PM
  Only 722 total veterans in top 36 most highly selective colleges! Life Long Learning 3 2,065 03-03-2018, 12:14 AM
Last Post: dfrecore