Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options for someone who's going to be on a ship for 9 months!
Collegelady2 Wrote:I think its rather messed up if you ask me.

You know, in this instance, I'm ok with it. This is the kind of thing I want my tax dollars used for. The fact that a prisoner is trying to educate themselves, when there is really no incentive other than to better themselves... And if they want to be productive members of society when they get out (and most do), then a better educated person is much more likely to not live off of the government than one who isn't.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:You know, in this instance, I'm ok with it. This is the kind of thing I want my tax dollars used for. The fact that a prisoner is trying to educate themselves, when there is really no incentive other than to better themselves... And if they want to be productive members of society when they get out (and most do), then a better educated person is much more likely to not live off of the government than one who isn't.

As someone who was a counselor in a prison and taught penology, I can speak to this. It's cheaper to provide inmates with skills that will keep them out of prison. It also benefits the public by reducing the number of people who will be victimized. Most of my clients relapsed (started drinking or using drugs again) and/or went back to selling drugs because they couldn't find a job after getting out of prison.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:As someone who was a counselor in a prison and taught penology, I can speak to this. It's cheaper to provide inmates with skills that will keep them out of prison. It also benefits the public by reducing the number of people who will be victimized. Most of my clients relapsed (started drinking or using drugs again) and/or went back to selling drugs because they couldn't find a job after getting out of prison.

Is that criminal any more likely to be able to pass a background check to get that job whether educated or uneducated
Collegelady2 Wrote:Is that criminal any more likely to be able to pass a background check to get that job whether educated or uneducated

There are a lot of employers who give second chances and many occupations aren't barred from hiring felons. The problem is that many of these jobs require training if you don't already have work experience. Some of the jobs require licenses or certifications. Barbering, welding, and truck driving were some of the more popular occupations some of the inmates wanted to pursue, but most inmates in Texas don't get the chance to take college courses or receive vocational training while incarcerated. However, most of them will qualify for grants upon release, so we're paying anyway.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Seems we went way off shore on this post! The sailor has a lot of reading options but very little testing options unless his vessel has a testing officer on board. Some people here test by learning the bare minimum to pass and move on to the next thing others spend a lot of time learning so they can apply their knowledge in the future. If someone is going to be on a ship for six months or more, the person should set their goals as to what degree they want and focus on. Then determine what General Education credits they'll need if they apply to a college not part of the big three and begin while they are on board to focus on a topic and work towards those goals. 4 REA books on board wouldn't take up much room and if focused on for a few hours each week the information would be in long term memory by the end of the tour and a series of tests could be taken with little review needed a laptop or cellphone with Itunes U and a series of lectures and a set of headphones could supplement anything an REA book didn't. A few weeks on shore and they'd have 12 credits on their transcript and the GI bill would be still available to them once they got out.
As for prisoner education, prison is boring and anyone with any initiative to do something for themselves needs to be encouraged to make a go of it. It is hard to be a productive member of society once you have a record because a lot of people don't want to take risks with people with a past so the cycle is hard to break free from. A lot of convicted criminals are intelligent people who with a better hope might be contributing to society instead of contributing to its demise.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
EI2HCB Wrote:A few weeks on shore and they'd have 12 credits on their transcript and the GI bill would be still available to them once they got out.
I can't emphasize this enough - GET THE EDUCATION WHILE YOU'RE AD. Use the TA for your degree (you can still combine that with the fast/cheap credits via CLEP, DSST, Study.com, whatever), but GET THE DEGREE. You might use it for advancement, or you might just hang onto it for when you get out. Then when you get out, instead of wasting those GI Bill dollars on undergrad scutwork, you can use it for a great masters, or a second degree, etc...but you have a lot more options post-service if you come out with a degree in hand. Don't wait. Max out your TA. It's worth it!!
dfrecore Wrote:You know, in this instance, I'm ok with it. This is the kind of thing I want my tax dollars used for. The fact that a prisoner is trying to educate themselves, when there is really no incentive other than to better themselves... And if they want to be productive members of society when they get out (and most do), then a better educated person is much more likely to not live off of the government than one who isn't.

I should have been more clear on this - I said (and most do), I meant (and most do get out) rather than (and most do want to better themselves) - because that part I don't know about.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Collegelady2 Wrote:Is that criminal any more likely to be able to pass a background check to get that job whether educated or uneducated

I've worked at plenty of jobs where I didn't need a background check. And I've worked in accounting, finance, compensation, etc.

I'm pretty sure my auto mechanic is a former felon, and I really don't care, as long as he does a good job on my car, and gives me a fair price.

Also, plenty of former felons can open their own businesses, where they won't need a background check at all.
dfrecore Wrote:I've worked at plenty of jobs where I didn't need a background check. And I've worked in accounting, finance, compensation, etc.

I'm pretty sure my auto mechanic is a former felon, and I really don't care, as long as he does a good job on my car, and gives me a fair price.

Also, plenty of former felons can open their own businesses, where they won't need a background check at all.

Wow thats pretty amazing I don't remember the last time I did a job that didn't require a background check.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Bill for independent and distance learning options BBryant165 1 1,321 08-20-2020, 12:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Best options to finish my CCAF bthompson1638 8 10,131 08-04-2020, 10:36 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  7 months of post 9/11 after completing masters subhuman 4 2,249 02-08-2018, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. Silly_Me 18 5,321 06-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  6 more months to happiness larry7crys 14 3,784 08-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Munkin
  Excelsior Enrollment Options for Military... trasyrincan 3 2,225 01-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku