Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critique my degree plan! (TESU BSBA in CIS)
(08-09-2017, 05:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Everything fits as planned.  the only issue is that the Ethics course is only 2cr, meaning you'll have to make it up in the Gen Ed Electives area.

Saylor courses that may work in the AOS:
CS101: Introduction to Computer Science I >> COS-101
CS102: Introduction to Computer Science II >> CIS-103
BUS206: Management Information Systems >> CIS-201
BUS303: Strategic Information Technology >> CIS-301
CS301: Software Engineering >> CIS-351
CS402: Computer Communications and Networks >> CMP-354

Here's a Study.com course that is supposed to fit into the CIS AOS:
BUS 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising >> MAR-441

Ed4Credit is similar to SL, and has:
Managing Information Systems >> CIS-301

Yes, you can do the free courses for Free Electives.  Add the Cybersecurity for Business Professionals (CIS-344 2cr comes into AOS or Gen Ed) and Sophia's Developing Effective Teams as well (HRM-299).

As for enrolling at TESU, the sooner the better.  There is no real purpose in waiting.

Just want to update that TESU says those last four Saylor courses will fit the AOS. That, along with the Study.com affiliation, is going to save almost $2000, so thanks for the tips everyone! Only thing now is that the NFA Fire Service Supervision course is not accepted as a general education elective, so I will need to make that credit up somehow. Worst case scenario I will just add another StraighterLine course since they are so cheap and easy.
(09-17-2017, 03:38 PM)Tolpeko Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 05:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: CS402: Computer Communications and Networks >> CMP-354

Just want to update that TESU says those last four Saylor courses will fit the AOS. That, along with the Study.com affiliation, is going to save almost $2000, so thanks for the tips everyone! Only thing now is that the NFA Fire Service Supervision course is not accepted as a general education elective, so I will need to make that credit up somehow. Worst case scenario I will just add another StraighterLine course since they are so cheap and easy.

I tried this Saylor when it first came out and gave up within a couple weeks. Granted I was given credit for a class I didn't think would fit my AOS from an old transcript that I sent it late. But, man that class was going to be one massive headache from the beginning.

Also the initial feedback of the class from seasoned networking professionals were all saying that test answers were wrong, and extremely poorly worded.

There should be an old thread somewhere about it.

I just want to give you a heads up of what you are possibly getting yourself into.

I strongly recommend Digital Mmarketing from Study.com or CSU Global at 250 a pop.

I can't speak for the other Saylor courses.
TESU BSBA (Dual Degree)
Computer Information Systems
General Management

Completed June 2017

For those wondering:
CIS AOS-
TEEX- Bus for IT + IT Professional = 4 UL
Study.com- Digital Marketing = 3 UL
University- Hardware Support Esentials = 4 LL C
Ed4credit- MIS = 3 UL C
SL- C++ Programming 4 UL
CSU Global - System Analysis & Design = 3 C

Gen Man AOS-
Study.com- HRM, Digital Marketing,
SL - Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Organzitional Behavior.
DAU- Contact Administration, Defense Procurement Management

[-] The following 1 user Likes yb1's post:
  • Tolpeko
(09-19-2017, 06:38 AM)yb1 Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 03:38 PM)Tolpeko Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 05:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: CS402: Computer Communications and Networks >> CMP-354

I tried this Saylor when it first came out and gave up within a couple weeks. Granted I was given credit for a class I didn't think would fit my AOS from an old transcript that I sent it late. But, man that class was going to be one massive headache from the beginning.

Also the initial feedback of the class from seasoned networking professionals were all saying that test answers were wrong, and extremely poorly worded.

There should be an old thread somewhere about it.

I just want to give you a heads up of what you are possibly getting yourself into.

I strongly recommend Digital Mmarketing from Study.com or CSU Global at 250 a pop.

I can't speak for the other Saylor courses.

My husband was one of those who was super annoyed by the course, and gave up.  You can't win when the answers are wrong!

Luckily, there's a TECEP for that one.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Tolpeko
Good to know, thanks. I might look into the TECEPs instead.
I wound up trying Saylor's CS402 anyway since it's free to look at the course and only $25 for the exam. I just did the practice exam about a dozen times (multiple accounts so I didn't have to wait forever), and it is pretty easy once you learn the answers (including the BS incorrect/poorly worded ones). The direct credit exam is much harder and includes a lot of stuff that isn't on the practice exams, but I was still able to grind out a passing grade of 76%. I have no networking background so I think this could be an option for someone who wants cheap credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tolpeko's post:
  • camjenks
Congrats! That's awesome! I haven't taken it yet, but makes me want to take the course just for fun and review of some topics.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-23-2018, 10:14 AM)Tolpeko Wrote: I wound up trying Saylor's CS402 anyway since it's free to look at the course and only $25 for the exam. I just did the practice exam about a dozen times (multiple accounts so I didn't have to wait forever), and it is pretty easy once you learn the answers (including the BS incorrect/poorly worded ones). The direct credit exam is much harder and includes a lot of stuff that isn't on the practice exams, but I was still able to grind out a passing grade of 76%. I have no networking background so I think this could be an option for someone who wants cheap credits.

Yeah, the problem is the person who has years of experience and knows the answers to these.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Update: I just finished the capstone (squeaked out an A), and now I am finished! I did not keep an exact total, but I estimate the whole degree cost about $5500 and took me about a year, going at a leisurely pace. A motivated person could definitely do this much faster. Here is the plan that I used: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Thank you to all who have contributed to this site and this thread. There is no way I would have ever gotten a degree the normal way!
[-] The following 4 users Like Tolpeko's post:
  • !=scholar, Jep, karaloehrer, TacticalTechie
(08-09-2017, 10:25 AM)Ideas Wrote: It is not too late to get the Study.com affiliation. You can also get the Guardian Scholarship, making the Study.com courses free. With the affiliation, you don't have to do the cornerstone course Smile

Still valid?

Thx
(01-24-2019, 02:44 PM)slmartin Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 10:25 AM)Ideas Wrote: It is not too late to get the Study.com affiliation. You can also get the Guardian Scholarship, making the Study.com courses free. With the affiliation, you don't have to do the cornerstone course Smile

Still valid?

Thx
Unfortunately not. There is still a tuition discount for Study.com affiliates though.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,110 36 minutes ago
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,872 5 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 8 541 5 hours ago
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 171 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 173 Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,092 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 168 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 521 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,279 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 169 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM