Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Grad School Thoughts - Masters/PHD
dam three 12 pages paper a week and exams? that guy is insane.

So WGU is like ALEKS sort of they give u assements and then u just learn and retest till u get a high grade. Thats how i thought Kaplan was.
My Plan: Earn a MSML or a MBA at WGU!
(01-06-2018, 10:56 AM)BearEDU Wrote: dam three 12 pages paper a week and exams? that guy is insane.

So WGU is like ALEKS sort of they give u assements and then u just learn and retest till u get a high grade. Thats how i thought Kaplan was.

Yeah it's a lot to cram into 4 months or even 6 months.

A Masters degree isn't going to be something you test out of and have a bunch of retakes like some Bachelor's degree courses. You have to do papers and the capstone project at WGU is a group project. 

I don't know a lot about WGU but 6 months is doable with enough time and work. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...?tid=27800

Cool! well...I just finally decided to get an MIS from Hodges vs at Patten for their MBA IT. I will try and finish it in one term starting April or May when I get back from my trip. It’s 33-39 credits, 33 if you have taken undergraduate MIS & Project Management. I’ll save some cash for an MBA at WGU when their ACBSP accreditation changes from candidate to fully accredited status.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • BearEDU, quigongene
(01-12-2018, 04:28 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Cool! well...I just finally decided to get an MIS from Hodges vs at Patten for their MBA IT. I will try and finish it in one term starting April or May when I get back from my trip. It’s 33-39 credits, 33 if you have taken undergraduate MIS & Project Management. I’ll save some cash for an MBA at WGU when their ACBSP accreditation changes from candidate to fully accredited status.

hmm looking at hodges they have a Upower Masters that may work for me. Im considering of going to Hodges as well but need to do some research on the amount of work it will take.
Oh Snap, Hodges is ending their Upower program! They're ending a non-competitive competency program, oh wells. I am going to look at WGU for the win as I need to start after April, as I get back from my trip mid-April. I'll see what WGU offers then. May look for an ABET program from Excelsior, BSIT Cybersecurity. Was contemplating going to Hodges for MIS Cybersecurity directly instead.

Most likely going for a WGU BSIT - haven't decided from the three or so they have yet. I was looking at the BS Cybersecurity from COSC, Excelsior, TESU, and WGU. The WGU one seems the best as it provides industry certifications. Only thing is Excelsior's has ABET accreditation, anyways... can't have it all... or I will just wait it out for an MBA/MSML from WGU that's ACBSP in a year or so... decisions, decisions.

dam really sad that its ending! I was really drawn to their MPA Upower program 30 credits no capstone it seems. Sadly i dont know much about the work load is it pretty light? I wonder if i can apply now. My graduation date is march but my class ends 1/21/18
(01-18-2018, 12:36 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Oh Snap, Hodges is ending their Upower program!  They're ending a non-competitive competency program, oh wells.  I am going to look at WGU for the win as I need to start after April, as I get back from my trip mid-April. I'll see what WGU offers then.  May look for an ABET program from Excelsior, BSIT Cybersecurity.  Was contemplating going to Hodges for MIS Cybersecurity directly instead.

WGU's MS in Cybersecurity & Information Assurance seems great for you, or their MS in IT Management. Probably possible in 6 months.

(01-18-2018, 02:03 AM)BearEDU Wrote: dam really sad that its ending! I was really drawn to their MPA Upower program 30 credits no capstone it seems. Sadly i dont know much about the work load is it pretty light? I wonder if i can apply now. My graduation date is march but my class ends 1/21/18

Patten MBA doesn't have a capstone either, very possible to finish it in 8 months for $3800 (should be cheaper than Hodges as everything is included and you have two extra months to finish). Hodges has a final examination, if someone fails, lol... they'll have to take that final again, for Patten there isn't a cumulative final.

The few things that draws me to Hodges was, 1) Non profit, 2) Their MIS has the least requirements to finish, 3) Their Upower pricing
However, the main drawbacks to the courses are that they're very writing intensive and presentations are required for each course. Otherwise, WGU and Patten have a leg up on Hodges as all materials are included in their programs, Hodges are extra.

BearEDU, if you currently work in public admin OR non profit organizations, then the MPA would be a good choice. You'll have to finish each course in 2.5 weeks or less (closer to 2 weeks/course, non stop for 6 months to get it at $3500+extra expenses). I suggest Patten MBA for everything else, as it's completion rate would be easier - you can try to finish 1 course every 3.5 weeks and all materials are included in the tuition of $3800/8 months

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Muldoon
(01-18-2018, 12:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 02:03 AM)BearEDU Wrote: dam really sad that its ending! I was really drawn to their MPA Upower program 30 credits no capstone it seems. Sadly i dont know much about the work load is it pretty light? I wonder if i can apply now. My graduation date is march but my class ends 1/21/18

Patten MBA doesn't have a capstone either, very possible to finish it in 8 months for $3800 (should be cheaper than Hodges as everything is included and you have two extra months to finish). Hodges has a final examination, if someone fails, lol... they'll have to take that final again, for Patten there isn't a cumulative final.

The few things that draws me to Hodges was, 1) Non profit, 2) Their MIS has the least requirements to finish, 3) Their Upower pricing
However, the main drawbacks to the courses are that they're very writing intensive and presentations are required for each course. Otherwise, WGU and Patten have a leg up on Hodges as all materials are included in their programs, Hodges are extra.

BearEDU, if you currently work in public admin OR non profit organizations, then the MPA would be a good choice. You'll have to finish each course in 2.5 weeks or less (closer to 2 weeks/course, non stop for 6 months to get it at $3500+extra expenses). I suggest Patten MBA for everything else, as it's completion rate would be easier - you can try to finish 1 course every 3.5 weeks and all materials are included in the tuition of $3800/8 months

I currently work for a non profit organization that's why the MPA appealed to me. But a MBA would work as well. Hmm Im split between should I jump right in or wait to refresh my mind a bit lol I've been running like crazy since July 2017 and my class ends on Jan 21st. I think you know since how many PMs I sent you haha.

I was originally considering patten bc of union discounts. But I saw your thread about hodges and their MPA program made me reconsider. I also saw some threads about patten diploma or something regarding the name?? I have to go back and look at it.

Tbh I'm just really looking for an easy masters to get an extra checkmark for myself and for jobs it's extra 10k in salary difference if I was ever looking to get promoted to be a manager the pay between a ba and a masters is 10k difference.

Is patten all self study competence based as well? You seem to have done super extensive research lol.

For Hodges the writing intensive part is it more than tesu bsba capstone I wonder.

Also the MPA doesn't look math intensive lol while the pattern one has two classes on math
I kind of go back and forth between WGU or Patten MBA, WGU feels a safer bet, with a clearer path, altho it will perhaps take 2 terms and is almost double the cost.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grad Degrees with generous credit transfer NotJoeBiden 8 532 03-02-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  PhD for as little as $1290,66 p/a at a top 150 school. Personherebb9 44 6,841 01-25-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Tireman4
  Online MS Biological Sciences - 8 Months - Automatic Admission to Medical School Captainrekt000 4 555 12-07-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  PhD - Swiss School of Business Research? michaeladsmith2 15 2,382 10-23-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Has anyone tried esneca business school? aquickquestion 8 1,804 10-06-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  ESC Clermont Business School DBA durain 9 1,693 08-02-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: durain
  Texila & UCN - Masters/PhD Programs bjcheung77 5 2,883 06-13-2023, 04:21 AM
Last Post: ZoeRo
  EdS/Phd Hybrid/Online School Psychology programs? nyvrem 7 2,322 09-02-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  funding sources for Law School without six figures of loan debt EducationSeeker 8 1,190 07-28-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Montpellier Business School Online DBA, AACSB durain 14 3,485 06-14-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: durain