Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Bachelors
Hi All,

After my BSBA in GM , I decided I want to do a BA degree in Liberal Studies at another cheap online university. I have all of the credits already to satisfy this requirement at TESU, but because of their second degree policy they want me to pay all of the fees again and do 24 semester credit hours after my graduation BSBA GM on Dec 15th, 2017.

Would it be possible to transfer all credits from TESU  to another university and get the BALS or BS Liberal Arts? I've been trying to search for Universities that are as flexible as TESU and accept all of my credits but I have not been able to find one so far. I was going to start working on  MBA in Finance at Patten University but my employer now requires two Bachelors in these areas.

In addition, I completed:

English 103: Analyzing and Interpreting Literature  - Study.com
Business Ethics - SL
Introduction to Religion - SL

http://www.tesu.edu/studycom/BA-Degree-i...tudies.cfm

I should have read the second degree policy before taking the courses. 

Any of the experts here can help me find a university that I can easily transfer all of my credits and take maybe 1 or 2 courses max to graduate from the second degree? It does not have to be a BALS but it has to be a second bachelors degree.

I'm stuck right now and I want a way out to quickly start working on the MBS. ;-)

I appreciate all the feedback you can give me. 

Thank you

TCK
So your employer REQUIRES 2 bachelor's degrees, but won't accept a master's in lieu of the 2nd bachelor's? I've never heard of such a thing. Wonky.

I think all schools that allow a second bachelor's will have some kind of similar policy - meaning you can't just transfer all of the credits from a first degree, and change it to a second one at their school.

Patten, WGU, EC, COSC - will all have different requirements. But, it may still be fairly quick to get the second bachelors. They will take your credits. It's just a matter of how they will fit into the next degree.

If you need a 2nd bachelor's quickly, you might consider contacting WGU and Patten, and see how the credits fit into the plans. Patten has the BA in Psychology with a concentration in Industrial-Organizational, which might be a good fit. If they would take a block transfer of your Gen Ed's, and a lot of your management courses would come into the concentration, that would only leave the Psych courses to take. Study.com has a lot of them, and then you'd just take the rest with Patten. You can't beat the price.

Unfortunately, I think it would probably take just as long to get the 2nd BA as it would to just get the MBA.

Again, that's a really strange requirement at your company. Very strange.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hi dfecore,

Yeah it's upsetting since I just want to continue into the MBA in Finance right away.

The BA in Psychology with concentration in Industrial Organization seems like good fit but if I do it at Patten then how would that impact the MBA in Finance? I'm going to contact them today. Maybe I can do both at the same time and finish faster. I have a discussion today at work to understand more about the nonsense. I really want to dive in the MBA of Finance right away.

Thank you
You could Shmoop your way to an English degree from TESU. Youd still have to do all the required courses but you could knock out all the English degree concentration requirements (minus non-western lit) in less than 2 months. Youd still have to source non-western lit if you didn't want to take it at TESU and TESU requires a capstone. You could try to do it all simultaneously and have it completed in 3 months max I would guess.
(09-22-2017, 09:59 AM)22gunsonfire Wrote: You could Shmoop your way to an English degree from TESU. Youd still have to do all the required courses but you could knock out all the English degree concentration requirements (minus non-western lit) in less than 2 months. Youd still have to source non-western lit if you didn't want to take it at TESU and TESU requires a capstone. You could try to do it all simultaneously and have it completed in 3 months max I would guess.

That's a very good suggestion.

But again I question the premise - why would a company value a second degree in a completely different field over an MBA?  That just honestly doesn't make ANY sense!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you, they have allowed me to work on the MBA first as long as I also achieve a second bachelors. I'm trying to find the fastest way and it seems to be Patten. At the same time I need to figure it out for second bachelors and knock it all out both as quickly as possible. I will concentrate on getting into Patten for MBA in Finance. Once I have a good rhythm I will deal with the second bachelors. Thanks much for the input.

I would like to take two courses and transfer the 6 credits to Patten. Anyone has experience completing fast the MBA at Patten? Any suggestions?
I wouldn't suggest you start your MBA and reverse transfer these courses if possible toward a second degree. Kill two birds with one stone.

(09-22-2017, 12:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 09:59 AM)22gunsonfire Wrote: You could Shmoop your way to an English degree from TESU. Youd still have to do all the required courses but you could knock out all the English degree concentration requirements (minus non-western lit) in less than 2 months. Youd still have to source non-western lit if you didn't want to take it at TESU and TESU requires a capstone. You could try to do it all simultaneously and have it completed in 3 months max I would guess.

That's a very good suggestion.

But again I question the premise - why would a company value a second degree in a completely different field over an MBA?  That just honestly doesn't make ANY sense!

I feel HR people sometimes are highly irrational people.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • sarg123
(09-22-2017, 02:03 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: I wouldn't suggest you start your MBA and reverse transfer these courses if possible toward a second degree. Kill two birds with one stone.

Assuming you meant "would suggest", I would be very careful following that advice. Not saying it can't work, but make sure both schools are OK with doing it that way. Starting the Master's courses before the bachelor's degree, but finishing it afterwards might trigger that same sort of rule for the Master's where they insist you earn the credits AFTER the second bachelor's is awarded. It's also possible that the act of reverse transferring courses would make them not usable for the Master's. These rules are designed to prevent you from using the same set of courses for two different degrees, double dipping as it were.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I would get in contact with Patten and see how many courses you require to finish your BA in Psychology with them, if it's going to take more than 30 credits. You may want to get the BALS with a concentration in Psychology or another Liberal Arts, or no concentration at all.

First, check with TESU in regards to getting the 2nd BALS with them, I think it's just 24 credits and you can finish it in 3 months or by taking the Capstone at the same time as X Shmoop courses (non-proctored!). Last thing to do is compare the cost and time it would complete either degree...

Here's a quick breakdown, you should "research" this more. Decisions, Decisions...
TESU finish in 3 months: Capstone, Residency Waiver, Graduation Fee + 3 months of Shmoop/1 month Study.com
TESU cost: $1098 + $1800 + $332 + $88 (x3) + $200 = $3,694

Patten finish in 8 months: $2,632 + misc fees for graduation/application, etc, let's say $3000 tops
It seems Patten will be cheaper but not as easy and it's slower
Further to this, JSD did a review of Patten and it was "unfavorable".

If I were in your shoes, I'd stick with an easy/quick BALS and forgo the cost savings.
The Psychology degree should be harder than the English Lit/misc Shmoop + Study.com courses
It's up to you, I would reconsider going to TESU for the BALS and also review JSD's review.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-22-2017, 02:52 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would get in contact with Patten and see how many courses you require to finish your BA in Psychology with them, if it's going to take more than 30 credits.  You may want to get the BALS with a concentration in Psychology or another Liberal Arts, or no concentration at all.  

Patten will accept 90 credits max, so it will definitely be at least 30cr.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 257 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,367 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 858 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,509 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 3,347 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  East Central (OK) Accepts 90 credits transfer for Bachelors bjcheung77 2 754 04-05-2022, 12:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How can I speed up my bachelors? arcangel27 29 2,509 03-15-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: arcangel27
  Most common majors (Bachelors) bjcheung77 14 1,617 01-31-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  EdX Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate degree expansion bjcheung77 3 1,104 01-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Free Bachelors Degrees for Union Member letterchaser202 32 3,758 11-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wow