Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nations University call
(10-18-2017, 07:47 PM)rlw74 Wrote: I I happen to know Liberty University takes Nation's credits. But I don't know if Liberty has an MDiv program or what it looks like.

I really like what I'm seeing on Liberty's site about their MDiv. However, I believe it would be $15,400 after transferring in the MTS credits, if they ended up accepting all 36. They allow 37.5 in transfer. So that is hard to justify compared to getting the MDiv at Nations U's low tuition rates. But I am interested in looking at some other MDiv programs to see what's out there, especially RA or low cost programs.

Edit: Oh, I didn't realize Liberty is RA! I'm really interested.

(10-19-2017, 12:02 AM)Ideas Wrote: Ideas
(10-18-2017, 07:47 PM)I really like what I\m seeing on Liberty Wrote: I really like what I'm seeing on Liberty's site about their MDiv. However, I believe it would be $15,400 after transferring in the MTS credits, if they ended up accepting all 36. They allow 37.5 in transfer. So that is hard to justify compared to getting the MDiv at Nations U's low tuition rates. But I am interested in looking at some other MDiv programs to see what's out there, especially RA or low cost programs.  Edit: Oh, I didn't realize Liberty is RA! I'm really interested.

Ideas, I have a similar, "Idea".  If during the Nations MTS journey, I decide Liberty's MDiv would align better with my goals (which are still forming), I'll transfer.  This is the Liberty program I like most http://www.liberty.edu/media/1270/MDCI-MDV.pdf  Since Nations charges one year at a time, I estimate part time MTS will be at least 2 years for me, more likely 3.  If that means I take an extra 1-2 classes that won't transfer, so be it - more knowledge and/or an easy A on the other side.  Plus it creates a surplus to cover for non-transferable classes (see my research below).
Since I'm a veteran, Liberty drops down to $275/credit, plus first responders get an additional discount <-Looking at Civil Air Patrol which also has a part time chaplain track (great way to start chaplaincy).  I submitted the following using Liberty's Transient Request Form and emailed to gradtransfer@liberty.edu.  M1, M2, M3, M4, M11, MRS226, MRS140, MRS326, MRS419, MRS520, MRS622, MRS633, MRS701, MRS718
Out of that whole list, Libery confirmed these classes that transfer:
M2= NBST 520
M3= THEO 530
M4= NBST 610
MRS 226 = OTCL 520
MRS 326 = NGRK 520
MRE 718= GLST 525

Not sure why so few came over.  I'm sure there is an appeal process.  Also, Liberty has, "ICE", tests which allow you to test out of theology classes you already know.  If anyone would like to submit more Nations classes for review, the form is attached.  Please report back what you find out.
JB

Attached Files
.doc   FRM_Grad_Transient_Request_(RTTAC)_online.doc (Size: 346.5 KB / Downloads: 6)
(10-20-2017, 12:48 PM)jb111 Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 12:02 AM)Ideas Wrote: Ideas
(10-18-2017, 07:47 PM)I really like what I\m seeing on Liberty Wrote: I really like what I'm seeing on Liberty's site about their MDiv. However, I believe it would be $15,400 after transferring in the MTS credits, if they ended up accepting all 36. They allow 37.5 in transfer. So that is hard to justify compared to getting the MDiv at Nations U's low tuition rates. But I am interested in looking at some other MDiv programs to see what's out there, especially RA or low cost programs.  Edit: Oh, I didn't realize Liberty is RA! I'm really interested.

Ideas, I have a similar, "Idea".  If during the Nations MTS journey, I decide Liberty's MDiv would align better with my goals (which are still forming), I'll transfer.  This is the Liberty program I like most http://www.liberty.edu/media/1270/MDCI-MDV.pdf  Since Nations charges one year at a time, I estimate part time MTS will be at least 2 years for me, more likely 3.  If that means I take an extra 1-2 classes that won't transfer, so be it - more knowledge and/or an easy A on the other side.  Plus it creates a surplus to cover for non-transferable classes (see my research below).
Since I'm a veteran, Liberty drops down to $275/credit, plus first responders get an additional discount <-Looking at Civil Air Patrol which also has a part time chaplain track (great way to start chaplaincy).  I submitted the following using Liberty's Transient Request Form and emailed to gradtransfer@liberty.edu.  M1, M2, M3, M4, M11, MRS226, MRS140, MRS326, MRS419, MRS520, MRS622, MRS633, MRS701, MRS718
Out of that whole list, Libery confirmed these classes that transfer:
M2= NBST 520
M3= THEO 530
M4= NBST 610
MRS 226 = OTCL 520
MRS 326 = NGRK 520
MRE 718= GLST 525

Not sure why so few came over.  I'm sure there is an appeal process.  Also, Liberty has, "ICE", tests which allow you to test out of theology classes you already know.  If anyone would like to submit more Nations classes for review, the form is attached.  Please report back what you find out.
JB
Nice work with getting those transfer classes looked at. That is very valuable information. Even if only those six transfer over that is still a huge savings - $960 for 6 classes (18 credits) vs. $275 a credit hour x 18 credits. That is a savings of almost 4k. It would be worth it to start with Nations just for that fact alone.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes rlw74's post:
  • jb111
Liberty has a block pricing option, which is a great deal if you can do 15 credits per term. It's something like 15 credits for the price of 9 credits. I believe it brings it under $200/credit!

This is a little off topic. Personally, I am only interested in degrees that have some focus on counseling. Liberty has a pastoral counseling option, but I feel like there might be a better option for me personally than doing the MTS at Nations and then MDiv at Liberty (or Nations). Because I'd be willing to not get an MDiv which has so many credits, and get "only" an MA (or other Masters) in pastoral counseling or similar. I searched hard for another Masters for myself, but I'm not finding much that is very appealing. There are many Masters with only around 33 credits, and more that have about 60 credits. But many of them are expensive, won't take NA credits, need some in-person, some of them require you to go slower (no self-paced), etc.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • jb111
(10-20-2017, 02:12 PM)Ideas Wrote: Liberty has a block pricing option, which is a great deal if you can do 15 credits per term. It's something like 15 credits for the price of 9 credits. I believe it brings it under $200/credit!

This is a little off topic. Personally, I am only interested in degrees that have some focus on counseling. Liberty has a pastoral counseling option, but I feel like there might be a better option for me personally than doing the MTS at Nations and then MDiv at Liberty (or Nations). Because I'd be willing to not get an MDiv which has so many credits, and get "only" an MA (or other Masters) in pastoral counseling or similar. I searched hard for another Masters for myself, but I'm not finding much that is very appealing. There are many Masters with only around 33 credits, and more that have about 60 credits. But many of them are expensive, won't take NA credits, need some in-person, some of them require you to go slower (no self-paced), etc.

Yeah I saw the block pricing but would be hard pressed to handle so much (maybe skip showers, sleep and eating).  Here's a thought I've entertained: MTS at Nations, then transfer to Liberty and do something like this: http://www.liberty.edu/online/masters/pa...ounseling/ (requires internship) OR http://www.liberty.edu/online/masters/human-services/  Only 30 credits.  I guess it truly depends on our career/personal goals.
Another possible consideration is getting the MTS and then going for a doctorate level program after that. Many of the doctorate level programs want you to have an MDiv but some don't. I would be very interested in doing that except for 2 things: the cost (although there may be the rare program which I would find worth the cost), and that I don't feel like I can commit to anything too big. Edit: I like the idea of doing a dissertation and the other coursework, but I just don't know what else is going to come up in my life.

I figure that my thoughts on that are applicable to this thread, but I'll add some of my personal brainstorming too...

The MTS is such an amazingly appealing program, but I wonder if I need to pass on it for a different Masters. It seems like I will end up doing at least 2 Masters eventually, since I'm kind of avoiding the doctorate level stuff for now, but I still feel like I have to make the right choice, in case I stop after 1. If only there were more time!

Edit: Also because after doing 1 Masters I might really want to move to the next level, instead of a second Masters. However, I would have to pick the right one that gets me into the doctoral program I want most. So I'm kind of planning 3 things... which Masters gets me into the doctoral program, which Masters is best if I only have 1, and... which is best in combination with a second Masters. Because I'm finding a lot of degrees where the combination works for me, but by itself doesn't so much.

• jb111
(10-20-2017, 02:39 PM)Ideas Wrote: Another possible consideration is getting the MTS and then going for a doctorate level program after that. Many of the doctorate level programs want you to have an MDiv but some don't. I would be very interested in doing that except for 2 things: the cost (although there may be the rare program which I would find worth the cost), and that I don't feel like I can commit to anything too big. Edit: I like the idea of doing a dissertation and the other coursework, but I just don't know what else is going to come up in my life.

I figure that my thoughts on that are applicable to this thread, but I'll add some of my personal brainstorming too...

The MTS is such an amazingly appealing program, but I wonder if I need to pass on it for a different Masters. It seems like I will end up doing at least 2 Masters eventually, since I'm kind of avoiding the doctorate level stuff for now, but I still feel like I have to make the right choice, in case I stop after 1. If only there were more time!

Edit: Also because after doing 1 Masters I might really want to move to the next level, instead of a second Masters. However, I would have to pick the right one that gets me into the doctoral program I want most. So I'm kind of planning 3 things... which Masters gets me into the doctoral program, which Masters is best if I only have 1, and... which is best in combination with a second Masters. Because I'm finding a lot of degrees where the combination works for me, but by itself doesn't so much.
Good thinking.  If one were to do Liberty's DMin, a MDiv would have to be complete 1st http://www.liberty.edu/online/doctoral/ministry/  Does not require dissertation but does require hefty thesis.  These guys don't appear to be accredited but interesting http://isdet.com/free-doctoral-programs-...etheology/
Please keep us posted on your research - it's an interesting path.
JB
(10-20-2017, 02:34 PM)jb111 Wrote: Yeah I saw the block pricing but would be hard pressed to handle so much (maybe skip showers, sleep and eating).  Here's a thought I've entertained: MTS at Nations, then transfer to Liberty and do something like this: http://www.liberty.edu/online/masters/pa...ounseling/ (requires internship) OR http://www.liberty.edu/online/masters/human-services/  Only 30 credits.  I guess it truly depends on our career/personal goals.

Thanks. I am interested. The grad programs that aren't through the divinity school are kind of expensive at $565/cr (or more for some people), but I would do the minimum credits at Liberty. Unfortunately certificates don't allow transfer credits, so they are too expensive.

I see they only have about a dozen grad courses for ICE. Also if earned through ICE, it doesn't count as a resident credit. Edit: Which is to be expected, but that would have been nice if it counted.

I wish they wouldn't put "100% online" when there's an internship. I guess that means it can be done without visiting the school. It can't be done from home. It also says a faculty member has to supervise; I guess they supervise from a distance.

• jb111
I wrote about this on another thread or post last year, but don't recall...
Has anyone tried using their "international address" on their application?
I've got another address, a second residency and its not within the 25 nations.
If I use that address, does that allow me to take the courses tuition free?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • HistoryMaker, jb111
The irony of lying to get out of paying for a cheap Divinity degree is pretty funny.

The point of the tuition leniency in the undeveloped nations is to provide opportunities for people who otherwise couldn't afford it. Not to game the system with a second residency or international forwarding address. 

But I'm not the divinity student, so I don't know... maybe the church doesn't look down on lying Tongue
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • davewill, jb111, sanantone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 194 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 707 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,854 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,099 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 492 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,311 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 366 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,636 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 661 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 14,281 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel