Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nations University call
(10-21-2017, 06:13 PM)jsd Wrote: The irony of lying to get a Divinity degree is pretty funny.

The point of the tuition leniency in the undeveloped nations is to provide opportunities for people who otherwise couldn't afford it. Not for you to game the system with your second residency or international forwarding address. 

But I'm not the divinity student, so I don't know... maybe the church doesn't look down ob lying Wink

BJ may have big ministry in the future Smile  I won't judge.  Note: They allow you to do $80 payments over the year.  For an accredited degree, this is about as painless as it gets.
I'm pretty sure I will enroll in MTS at Nations U Smile I don't plan to go on to an MDiv.

I will aim to complete it in 1 year. I believe if you go over 1 year by a little, you pay for the entire second year. It's still cheap at 2 years, but I can try. Normal speed seems to be 2 years full-time, and I'm used to working fast. My only worry is some of the material being slower to read or if exams require much too much rote memorization (versus understanding/application).

I would rather wait 6-12+ months before starting this, but I don't want to miss the lower pricing.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • jb111
(10-22-2017, 09:50 AM)Ideas Wrote: I'm pretty sure I will enroll in MTS at Nations U Smile I don't plan to go on to an MDiv.

I will aim to complete it in 1 year. I believe if you go over 1 year by a little, you pay for the entire second year. It's still cheap at 2 years, but I can try. Normal speed seems to be 2 years full-time, and I'm used to working fast. My only worry is some of the material being slower to read or if exams require much too much rote memorization (versus understanding/application).

I would rather wait 6-12+ months before starting this, but I don't want to miss the lower pricing.
Same here on the pricing. If paying monthly, you may get a refund on the portion of the $960 not used.
I seem to recall them being very reasonable. Good luck. I'm hoping we can do a progress thread on the board.
JB
[-] The following 1 user Likes jb111's post:
  • Ideas
Ideas - if you aren't completely married to one particular master's degree path at a particular school and you start it and change your mind you lose thousands at another school. If you start the MTS and change your mind it is only $960. That is less than one credit at some schools. And worse case scenario you might be able to transfer whatever you have. A lot of seminaries are not accredited and will take credit from other religious degrees. I personally wouldn't go that route but its not unheard of. It depends on what you plan to do with the degree.

I also see a lot of utility in that it is more non-denominational - even though the Church of Christ started it. Unfortunately if you plan to pastor what you might run into in a denomination is that if you want to be in a Southern Baptist church they will want a degree from a Southern Baptist seminary; Methodist will want a Methodist seminary, etc. At least with a non-denominational degree you might be able to move around a bit more. Many of the professors are from different denominations and the textbooks are used in multiple seminaries so you can always pitch that aspect.

I personally wasn't planning to start a master's degree anyway for a while so this isn't cutting into time that I would have spent on something else. I'm going to try for a year too. I don't know if that is possible but we'll see.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes rlw74's post:
  • jb111
From what I've seen, it's quite common for people to complete MDiv programs outside of their denomination. The problem that someone might come across is that they won't be ordained by their denomination or church without ATS accreditation. I know one group stopped endorsing Liberty graduates as chaplains, and I believe some people have had issues with becoming ordained.

The Church of Christ is not a true denomination; it's an association of independent churches that share basic beliefs. So, it shouldn't be hard to find an independent Church of Christ to ordain you since you don't have to go through a board with all these strict rules.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jb111
(10-22-2017, 12:49 PM)rlw74 Wrote: Ideas - if you aren't completely married to one particular master's degree path at a particular school and you start it and change your mind you lose thousands at another school. If you start the MTS and change your mind it is only $960. That is less than one credit at some schools. And worse case scenario you might be able to transfer whatever you have. A lot of seminaries are not accredited and will take credit from other religious degrees. I personally wouldn't go that route but its not unheard of. It depends on what you plan to do with the degree.

I also see a lot of utility in that it is more non-denominational - even though the Church of Christ started it. Unfortunately if you plan to pastor what you might run into in a denomination is that if you want to be in a Southern Baptist church they will want a degree from a Southern Baptist seminary; Methodist will want a Methodist seminary, etc. At least with a non-denominational degree you might be able to move around a bit more. Many of the professors are from different denominations and the textbooks are used in multiple seminaries so you can always pitch that aspect.

I personally wasn't planning to start a master's degree anyway for a while so this isn't cutting into time that I would have spent on something else. I'm going to try for a year too. I don't know if that is possible but we'll see.

Yeah. I think they let you drop out and pay less, like dropping out around 6 months would be $500. It's not completely prorated by month, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't make someone pay the other $480 or so. ($25 fee in the beginning.)

I have plenty of other stuff already scheduled for Dec-May Sad I wanted to do at least one or two classes during most of June 2018 -Dec 2018. But MTS is only 12 courses, so it should be easy to get a rough estimate of whether 1 per month is reasonable on top of whatever else we're doing.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to skip the non-credit "Orientation to Research and Writing" course? If not, it's 13 courses. It is much shorter than the others?

Yeah, I also want non-denominational which isn't so common!

• jb111
(10-21-2017, 05:49 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I wrote about this on another thread or post last year, but don't recall...
Has anyone tried using their "international address" on their application?
I've got another address, a second residency and its not within the 25 nations.
If I use that address, does that allow me to take the courses tuition free?

Nations University is a non-profit organization that depends on donations and its low tuition to fund operations. If we encourage large numbers of people in developed nations to game the system, then this could lead to financial problems for Nations. Accreditors also pay attention to the financial health of schools and will place a school on probation and eventually pull accreditation if the school's financial house is not in order.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jb111, jsd
(10-22-2017, 02:54 PM)rlw74 Wrote: Does anyone know if we're allowed to skip the non-credit "Orientation to Research and Writing" course? If not, it's 13 courses. It is much shorter than the others?
Hi!  I asked and the orientation course does not track progress.  Rather it's more of a click around on whatever area you need refreshing in.  There is no block from advancing.  If one of you finishes the MTS degree in one year that would be amazing!  I certainly will try my best since money is time Smile
JB
[-] The following 1 user Likes jb111's post:
  • Ideas
(10-23-2017, 01:55 PM)jb111 Wrote: If one of you finishes the MTS degree in one year that would be amazing!  I certainly will try my best since money is time Smile
JB

Are you pretty sure you'll continue onto an MDiv afterwards? I originally thought I would, but now I don't. That means MTS would be my only/highest degree in the field. I'm feeling a little worried about it being NA. I'm feeling like I would rather pay more to get RA, but not a lot more. I don't think it's possible to find one in the price range I'm thinking, except for at a foreign school.

If you or anyone have thoughts about Nations U versus a foreign school, I would be interested. I only looked at a few so far, but UNISA would be one of the only ones I'd seriously consider. I want to know more about UNISA's MTh programs, but it seems like I would have to apply to get more info. Based on a post from a couple years ago, I guess it might be around $2500 if completed in 2 years.

• jb111
South African Theological Seminary is cheap and probably much less of a hassle than UNISA.

https://www.sats.edu.za/

In the U.S., ATS accreditation is considered the "gold standard" for seminaries. I checked out some of the schools on this list. The top ones have some of the cheaper online programs out there.

http://collegeandseminary.com/seminary/t...s-in-2015/
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jb111, jsh1138

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 2 60 55 minutes ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 681 4 hours ago
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,790 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,087 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 492 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,281 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 365 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,628 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 655 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 14,279 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel