Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nations University call
(10-24-2017, 08:17 PM)sanantone Wrote: South African Theological Seminary is cheap and probably much less of a hassle than UNISA.

https://www.sats.edu.za/

In the U.S., ATS accreditation is considered the "gold standard" for seminaries. I checked out some of the schools on this list. The top ones have some of the cheaper online programs out there.

http://collegeandseminary.com/seminary/t...s-in-2015/

Thanks. I have looked at at least 10 on that list, but I'll look at the rest Smile

I was a little scared off from SATS because it is more Christian-focused and has both a "mini-thesis" and project. I will add it to my short list, but below Nations U.

One thing that interests me about UNISA is they have a Pastoral Therapy concentration, although I don't know if it requires local in-person work.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • jb111
(10-24-2017, 08:01 PM)Ideas Wrote: If you or anyone have thoughts about Nations U versus a foreign school, I would be interested. I only looked at a few so far, but UNISA would be one of the only ones I'd seriously consider. I want to know more about UNISA's MTh programs, but it seems like I would have to apply to get more info. Based on a post from a couple years ago, I guess it might be around $2500 if completed in 2 years.

I really struggled to understand tuition, accreditation and the exact curriculum at those foreign schools.  I also was not sure whether there would be any communication challenges.  I'm very interested to hear what you find.  MDiv is not a must for me but it opens doors.  Liberty remains my fallback.
(10-24-2017, 09:25 PM)jb111 Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 08:01 PM)Ideas Wrote: If you or anyone have thoughts about Nations U versus a foreign school, I would be interested. I only looked at a few so far, but UNISA would be one of the only ones I'd seriously consider. I want to know more about UNISA's MTh programs, but it seems like I would have to apply to get more info. Based on a post from a couple years ago, I guess it might be around $2500 if completed in 2 years.

I really struggled to understand tuition, accreditation and the exact curriculum at those foreign schools.  I also was not sure whether there would be any communication challenges.  I'm very interested to hear what you find.  MDiv is not a must for me but it opens doors.  Liberty remains my fallback.

South Africa is an English-speaking country unless you're talking about a different kind of communication problem.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jb111
(10-24-2017, 09:25 PM)jb111 Wrote: I really struggled to understand tuition, accreditation and the exact curriculum at those foreign schools.  I also was not sure whether there would be any communication challenges.

Yeah, it's kind of worrisome if it's hard to even understand tuition. I don't understand it at UNISA. Some schools were easier regarding tuition.

I'm not sure if I will keep looking into foreign programs.

UNISA supposedly also requires a lot for admissions to a Bachelor's program. I'm not sure I'm willing to do any extra undergrad work to get in the Masters program.

University of Pretoria seems to be around $1400 something per year and have many theology degrees, but I don't see a way to get more details. Clicking on academic programs seems to have a dead link. However, I did find that some require intensives.

I looked at more U.S. programs but didn't find anything that interests me.

• jb111
Different kinds (mostly imagined on my part) like communication with the professor or admin staff.  Plus I have enough challenges trying to understand American instructions :Smile I'm taking the TESU capstone and feel I've got to reread each assignment 3-4 times before it fully sinks in.
(10-25-2017, 05:21 AM)jb111 Wrote: Different kinds (mostly imagined on my part) like communication with the professor or admin staff.  Plus I have enough challenges trying to understand American instructions :Smile I'm taking the TESU capstone and feel I've got to reread each assignment 3-4 times before it fully sinks in.

It is difficult to apply for admission as an international student. There used to be an authorized company that would help Canadians and Americans enroll, but it looks like they shut down.

You can try contacting them.

http://www.iaci-canada.com
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jb111
On the "sister forum", there is a thread where jmcl and chasisaac posted about courses. The thread has "Nations University" in the title. That first course sounds like so much work, but others should be less work. It seems like Nations added a lot more writing (and maybe other work) in order to get their DEAC accreditation.

(10-25-2017, 05:21 AM)jb111 Wrote: Different kinds (mostly imagined on my part) like communication with the professor or admin staff.  Plus I have enough challenges trying to understand American instructions :Smile I'm taking the TESU capstone and feel I've got to reread each assignment 3-4 times before it fully sinks in.

I worried about communication too. However, I would rather have a foreign school with good customer service than domestic school without.

• jb111
(10-26-2017, 08:21 AM)Ideas Wrote: On the "sister forum", there is a thread where jmcl and chasisaac posted about courses. The thread has "Nations University" in the title. That first course sounds like so much work, but others should be less work. It seems like Nations added a lot more writing (and maybe other work) in order to get their DEAC accreditation.

Wondering if the first course is a, "Test", to see if we can handle future material.  I'm not thrilled about a lot of writing but guess that's typical in a masters?
(10-26-2017, 09:10 AM)jb111 Wrote: Wondering if the first course is a, "Test", to see if we can handle future material.  I'm not thrilled about a lot of writing but guess that's typical in a masters?

Chasissac thought so. That particular course seems to have more than most Masters courses. I'm just guessing from what they said and my general knowledge.

I don't mind writing on interesting topics, but I mind when it's busywork.

• jb111
Like my army days: dig a hole, fill it in, etc...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 199 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 712 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,858 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,103 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 493 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,315 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 369 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,638 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 662 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 14,289 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel