Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changes to CLEP credit values -- standard practices?
As many of you have heard, ACE changed its credit recommendation for the Humanities CLEP from 6 credits to 3 a couple months ago. (Which blows my mind, by the way. I've taken 14 CLEPs and this was the most difficult one by a long shot.)

Anyway, my school, up until last week, had been granting 6 credits for it. During the time they were evaluating my score, they changed their published master list of CLEPs to reflect the ACE recommendation of 3. Today I found out they gave me 3 credits for the exam.

I understand schools are allowed to do this, but since I'm a new student, I'm not sure what the "standard practices" are for situations like this. My biggest questions are:

1. Are schools typically expected to follow their published credit equivalencies at the time the score is submitted for evaluation?
  2. My larger concern --- can a school retroactively downgrade my other 6-credit CLEPs to 3 after they've been evaluated and posted to my transcript? 
I've reached out to my advisor, so I'll hopefully hear back from her tomorrow. But I want to hear about others' experiences so I can gain an understanding of what's considered above-board.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pursuing BA in Communications at SNHU (Started July 2017)
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
(10-24-2017, 09:30 PM)greencouch Wrote: As many of you have heard, ACE changed its credit recommendation for the Humanities CLEP from 6 credits to 3 a couple months ago. (Which blows my mind, by the way. I've taken 14 CLEPs and this was the most difficult one by a long shot.)

Anyway, my school, up until last week, had been granting 6 credits for it. During the time they were evaluating my score, they changed their published master list of CLEPs to reflect the ACE recommendation of 3. Today I found out they gave me 3 credits for the exam.

I understand schools are allowed to do this, but since I'm a new student, I'm not sure what the "standard practices" are for situations like this. My biggest questions are:

1. Are schools typically expected to follow their published credit equivalencies at the time the score is submitted for evaluation?
  2. My larger concern --- can a school retroactively downgrade my other 6-credit CLEPs to 3 after they've been evaluated and posted to my transcript? 
I've reached out to my advisor, so I'll hopefully hear back from her tomorrow. But I want to hear about others' experiences so I can gain an understanding of what's considered above-board.

Question 1- yes, but not for the reason you stated. When you enroll, you do so as a student under a catalog. That catalog is your framework for earning your degree- it's the soup to nuts criteria you'll follow (colleges change policies all the time, some every year, so it's not realistic or fair to expect a student's degree process to change - that's why you lock in when you enroll.) If you weren't enrolled, rather you only applied, it is unlikely that you'll make any headway....but.... it is common for colleges to award credit based on what it was when the student took it. So, since the VERSION you took was 6 credits, and WHEN you took it, your college awarded 6, you can explain to your advisor as much. Know that the ACE catalog shows this date range for 3 credits: 3/1/2015 - 11/30/2018, and the PREVIOUS date range as being worth 6, so if you're talking about pre 3/1/2015 you're going to have an easier time in my estimation.

Question 2- that's possible, but is very sketchy. They can claim an error was corrected, but again, if you can show your version matches a version "worth" more credit, you can put a little evidence behind your words. Honestly, it is something I would press forward on if I were in your shoes, but if they do change all your exams, you'll have to decide where the line in the sand is for you. 3 credits? 6? 12?
I'd probably be a p.i.t.a.
Very helpful!  Thank you!
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
ACE didn't change that recommendation way back in 2015 did they?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Welp, I'm a little pissed. The advisor told me that they updated their credit equivalencies based on ACE's recommendations. However, after digging around the metadata of SNHU's CLEP credit table, they didn't alter their credit equivalencies until a week after I submitted my scores for evaluation. I've reached out directly to the registrar to make my case. I understand schools have the prerogative to update their credit tables. But when it comes to enrolled students, they should honor the values publicly-advertised at the time scores are submitted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes greencouch's post:
  • a2jc4life
Update:  The registrar responded quickly. I was worried because I figured a quick response would = instant shutdown of my request. But to my surprise, they've decided to honor the exam for 6 credits. I'm super happy with how they handled the situation.
[-] The following 5 users Like greencouch's post:
  • a2jc4life, cookderosa, davewill, jsd, sarg123
Great news, good on them for honoring it.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • greencouch, sarg123
Always good to hear a positive update!
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
[-] The following 1 user Likes a2jc4life's post:
  • greencouch
Great outcome!! Good for you for pressing the issue. Lots of students would have accepted the 3 and moved on. You saved big bucks with that email! Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,532 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,956 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 246 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
Question Should a 10-Point Grading Scale Be The Standard? Ares 6 481 02-07-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 742 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 698 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 484 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 532 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  2D Cad/Technical Drawing Credit Eligible Courses flamewerks 0 332 10-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: flamewerks
  Cheap-ish (Biblical) Hebrew and Greek credit rachel83az 7 643 08-22-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain