Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Real "Big 4" is Here!
(12-20-2017, 11:04 PM)cardiacclep Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 03:30 PM)davewill Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 03:46 AM)jsd Wrote: Save your breath to pump their tires when they can deliver a bachelor's. Or even just an associates without traditional credits.

They're fantastic for what they are: A great alternative route to an AAS. But they still require more traditional credits for that AAS. Not even an AA/AS, let alone BA/BS.

I would recommend them in all sorts of situations, and I think they're one of the greatest new discoveries this forum has uncovered over the past year or whatever.. but they're not in the same league as the Big 3.

No, definitely not. Associate's degrees have such a limited usefulness that most folks are better off skipping one and going right to a bachelor's. I would only recommend one if it's no pain on the way to the bachelor's, the associate's has a definable value to the students career, or the student simply cannot finish a bachelor's in a timely manner.

Agreed. The only associates that are worthwhile are specific career focused associates like nursing, IT or trades.

That's not really true. This might be different across regions, or maybe even industries. In my state, 60 credits qualifies me to work as a substitute teacher, a tutor, or for various administrative positions. It's not a catapult into the middle class, but it certainly opens doors to fields or positions I wouldn't be qualified for without at least an AA. I've worked in offices and restaurants for the last 15 years and when promotions are on the table, generally a Bartender with an AA will be promoted to bar manager over one without, all things being equal. There are also a lot of entry level jobs that will list an associate's as a prerequisite if someone has other related experience. Many of the positions at the local community college are worded that way. It's not worthless - for many of us starting out at the bottom socioeconomically, that climb from 20k to 28k in earnings is HUGE - as well as the nod of respect that comes with having completed SOME kind of degree.
(01-21-2018, 03:34 PM)daelaria Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 11:04 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: Agreed. The only associates that are worthwhile are specific career focused associates like nursing, IT or trades.

That's not really true. This might be different across regions, or maybe even industries. In my state, 60 credits qualifies me to work as a substitute teacher, a tutor, or for various administrative positions. It's not a catapult into the middle class, but it certainly opens doors to fields or positions I wouldn't be qualified for without at least an AA. I've worked in offices and restaurants for the last 15 years and when promotions are on the table, generally a Bartender with an AA will be promoted to bar manager over one without, all things being equal. There are also a lot of entry level jobs that will list an associate's as a prerequisite if someone has other related experience. Many of the positions at the local community college are worded that way. It's not worthless - for many of us starting out at the bottom socioeconomically, that climb from 20k to 28k in earnings is HUGE - as well as the nod of respect that comes with having completed SOME kind of degree.

Quick question - when you say 60cr qualifies you to be a substitute, is that an actual AA, or just 60cr?  Because there is a difference.

Also, the talk here was of the limited usefulness of an AA.  It MAY be good for some people, and those people usually come on here and ask about them because they actually need an AA for a particular reason.  We are happy to help them get one.

But for someone who doesn't need one, and just thinks that an AA might be useful in some way, we try steering them to actually complete the BA (especially because some of the Big 3 require a capstone course for an AA, or the same price for the Residency Waiver as a BA, in which case the AA becomes fairly expensive).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Fire, police, substitute teaching may have a 60 hours of college hours requirement, but not specifically an associate's degree. If a person has that many hours, filing for graduation is a good idea. For $10-25 they can have an associate's degree. Sure, the ultimate goal should be getting a bachelor's degree. For many who have struggled to get the 60 hours, completing the baccalaureate degree might be a long way off with life getting in the way more than once. The difference between just 60 hours and 60 hours including a degree is that the associate's degree holder gets to say she or he finished a degree program. That can sound good in an interview.

I encourage people to get the associate's degree on the way to getting a bachelor's degree if it is convenient to do so.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
(01-21-2018, 05:35 PM)clep3705 Wrote: Fire, police, substitute teaching may have a 60 hours of college hours requirement, but not specifically an associate's degree. If a person has that many hours, filing for graduation is a good idea. For $10-25 they can have an associate's degree. Sure, the ultimate goal should be getting a bachelor's degree. For many who have struggled to get the 60 hours, completing the baccalaureate degree might be a long way off with life getting in the way more than once. The difference between just 60 hours and 60 hours including a degree is that the associate's degree holder gets to say she or he finished a degree program. That can sound good in an interview.

I encourage people to get the associate's degree on the way to getting a bachelor's degree if it is convenient to do so.

Ah, but there are many people who have 60cr and are nowhere close to an AA (except now maybe the BOG AAS).  I had 75 credits but no AA and would have had to take a lot of classes to get one, even a general one.  60cr almost certainly does not equal an AA for most people, I don't think (between moving, changing schools, changing majors).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
That's why I always include the caveat about people for who the associate's has a definable value, or who have any doubt about finishing the bachelor's promptly. An associate's is definitely MUCH better than just a high school diploma.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • daelaria
(01-21-2018, 09:03 PM)davewill Wrote: That's why I always include the caveat about people for who the associate's has a definable value, or who have any doubt about finishing the bachelor's promptly. An associate's is definitely MUCH better than just a high school diploma.

20 Highest Paying Associate Degree Jobs in 2018
https://www.geteducated.com/careers/high...egree-jobs

Air Traffic Controller, Salary: $122,410
Radiation Therapist, Salary: $80,160
Nuclear Technician, Salary: $79,140
Radiologic & MRI Technologist, Salary: $58,960
Computer Programmer, Salary: $79,840
Nuclear Medicine Technologist, Salary: $74,350
Dental Hygienist, Salary: $72,910
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(01-22-2018, 12:08 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(01-21-2018, 09:03 PM)davewill Wrote: That's why I always include the caveat about people for who the associate's has a definable value, or who have any doubt about finishing the bachelor's promptly. An associate's is definitely MUCH better than just a high school diploma.

I've heard through the grapevine by a friend who is an air traffic controller, that you will probably not get hired if you only have an AA.  She said it's a pretty rigorous screening process, it took MONTHS to get through it all, there's a lot of competition, and then after she got hired, she got sent to a very small airport out in podunk, middle of the country USA, and definitely does NOT get paid $122k.  She thinks she will make this in 5 years after she's moved several times to different, progressively larger airports.  Oh, and did I mention that you'll have to move all over the country, probably not to the area of your choice, several times?  So if you're married, hopefully your spouse is up for moving to middle of nowhere Kansas, and trying to find a gig there that pays the bills.  Let's not even mention the stress, and extremely high burnout rate.

Just to say that no, a BA is not a REQUIREMENT for some positions, but chances are high you won't get hired without one.  And that this is certainly not the starting salary for some of these positions.
(01-21-2018, 05:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-21-2018, 03:34 PM)daelaria Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 11:04 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: Agreed. The only associates that are worthwhile are specific career focused associates like nursing, IT or trades.

Quick question - when you say 60cr qualifies you to be a substitute, is that an actual AA, or just 60cr?  Because there is a difference.

Also, the talk here was of the limited usefulness of an AA.  It MAY be good for some people, and those people usually come on here and ask about them because they actually need an AA for a particular reason.  We are happy to help them get one.

But for someone who doesn't need one, and just thinks that an AA might be useful in some way, we try steering them to actually complete the BA (especially because some of the Big 3 require a capstone course for an AA, or the same price for the Residency Waiver as a BA, in which case the AA becomes fairly expensive).
It used to be an associate's of any kind. Now in some parts of the state, you can get the job with just 60 credits even if you haven't matriculated - but in other areas, the requirement for a 2 year degree is still in place.

I definitely understand the distinction you're mentioning. I've been a lurker around here since 2013 so have seen a lot of different iterations of this conversation. I felt discouraged originally from pursuing an AA a few years back, but through my own research realized it's the safer option for ME in case I genuinely can't finish a BA (but hopefully that's not the case). My dissent isn't criticism - just another experienced voice in the mix for those who may be reading and not yet speaking. Smile
(01-22-2018, 02:48 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 12:08 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

I've heard through the grapevine by a friend who is an air traffic controller, that you will probably not get hired if you only have an AA.  She said it's a pretty rigorous screening process, it took MONTHS to get through it all, there's a lot of competition, and then after she got hired, she got sent to a very small airport out in podunk, middle of the country USA, and definitely does NOT get paid $122k.  She thinks she will make this in 5 years after she's moved several times to different, progressively larger airports.  Oh, and did I mention that you'll have to move all over the country, probably not to the area of your choice, several times?  So if you're married, hopefully your spouse is up for moving to middle of nowhere Kansas, and trying to find a gig there that pays the bills.  Let's not even mention the stress, and extremely high burnout rate.

Just to say that no, a BA is not a REQUIREMENT for some positions, but chances are high you won't get hired without one.  And that this is certainly not the starting salary for some of these positions.

I bet an AA with a few years as a USAF Air Traffic Control job experience is 10x than a just a BS.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Almost no one pays college sticker prices. Colleges are getting real about tution. LevelUP 0 332 10-06-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Why Divergent Thinkers Beat Geniuses in the Real World LevelUP 1 398 01-20-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Credit Providers that uses real textbooks? msa145 4 1,013 04-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  Any other aspiring (or certified) real estate appraisers on the forum? dexter1326 6 2,856 12-06-2018, 10:36 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  Transferability of real estate credits StoicJ 2 1,171 04-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  Studying for Introductory Psychology is a Real Challenge mikeclark99 5 1,466 10-23-2016, 08:53 PM
Last Post: mikeclark99
  CA Real Estate Broker humboldtjake 8 1,756 05-17-2016, 07:01 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Researching is Real World Experience for a Researcher sanantone 18 2,339 11-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How similar are the real CLEP exams to the practice tests? mseldomridge 16 5,836 05-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Last Post: EI2HCB
  Reasonably priced online or self-paced real estate classes? SDO 8 1,662 03-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Last Post: DSH2007