Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPA CBE besides Hodges
This was a good discussion.

Sanantone that's exactly why I don't like it because it sounds like someone's last name.

Don't get me started with UMUC. I'm from Maryland. I don't know why they can't call it Maryland State University, or Maryland State College.
Everyone around here knows of UMUC. My experience is most people are neutral. Some that have met that go just put University of Maryland on their resume.

I don't judge but that's a grey area and I can understand why people don't like UMUC grads trying to claim they are UMD grads.

Videogamesrock- that is awesome. I could get behind that. 18 months though. but I love the class load and it would be under 11,000.

Ransomsoul- very true. With the different classification of school names. Hodge's is known but unknown. Lol basically if you are from that area in Florida

When I tell people about TESU they say oh I thought that was a highschool, few people seem to know it is in New Jersey based on their knowledge of Edison.

I did have an HR rep who knew the school personally and knew people in a military hospital that we're attending it. He had a long 10 minute story about how he's been to Edison house and everything.

When I told someone Hodges once I got the "what's Hodges, where's Hodges, confused reaction" I did take a couple courses there in undergrad. I didn't like the format. I think the MPA would be different though. I'm thinking

Dave - that is very true in fact the only story I have heard seems positive.

It is hard to type long posts with my phone.

Jsd- that sure does sound like something that should be the name of a location in Dragon Quest - the uprising of the old republic - where our protagonist Musician Henry Rollins will need to gather a knight, ninja, the wizard, and a con artist to confront the evil queen of the west and give back the land to Princess Bella
TESU BSBA (Dual Degree)
Computer Information Systems
General Management

Completed June 2017

For those wondering:
CIS AOS-
TEEX- Bus for IT + IT Professional = 4 UL
Study.com- Digital Marketing = 3 UL
University- Hardware Support Esentials = 4 LL C
Ed4credit- MIS = 3 UL C
SL- C++ Programming 4 UL
CSU Global - System Analysis & Design = 3 C

Gen Man AOS-
Study.com- HRM, Digital Marketing,
SL - Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Organzitional Behavior.
DAU- Contact Administration, Defense Procurement Management

(01-02-2018, 08:54 PM)RANSOMSOUL Wrote: There are Ivy League School Names (Jr got accepted into XXXX = Wow! Graduated from XXXX= Impressive!)
Top Sport School Names (Did you catch any games?= Nice! Where you there when XXX was there? Sweet!)
State Power School Names (Ohio vs Michigan = Fun! UCLA vs USC=Once was fun Wink

Then there are just a bunch of names, some we know for good reasons and some for bad reasons (quality of coursework, degree options, cost/high/low). The only schools that I would classify as having a bad name would be schools that are hard to say - if someone asks 'what school' after every time you share the name, this might be a bad name and all schools with bad reputations would definitely be a bad name.

Hodges University's name fits in that classic no negative/positive impact space with the majority of other school names.

yb1 doesn't like the name Hodges because it sounds like a persons last name; this shows how we all have different perspectives on things.  I'm from New England so to me Brown U, Harvard U, Yale U are all local Ivy Leagues, all with last names. Even many New England state schools are named after people, it is just common for the area. One of the reasons I started looking at Hodges for the MPA is because it has a simple to understand proper name format. Its Naples FL location doesn't hurt either as Naples, FL is a very popular vacation/retirement destination area for where I live. So people may not know the name Hodges here, but when I say it is a University located in Naples FL it tends to give people a sense of familiarity.

Arkansas State remains my second choice; it was originally my first - it is an excellent program.  I prefer the courses in the program of Hodges better, I prefer the competency based model, and the lower cost has made Hodges the front runner for me. I'm planning on enrolling shorty after I finish my bachelors later this year (thanks to this forum for making that possible!)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Ideas
That's awesome allvia! I like Hodges's appeal in that area as well, their MPA and MIS programs are what I am looking at. For me, ultimately, I have decided for an MIS vs MPA to further enhance my "resume". I'd like to get into management maybe in the next 5 years, or later, anytime before I hit the big 50.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Ideas
Alliva more than likely I'll be going to Hodges. I already applied and have been accepted. So I might be starting in February.
TESU BSBA (Dual Degree)
Computer Information Systems
General Management

Completed June 2017

For those wondering:
CIS AOS-
TEEX- Bus for IT + IT Professional = 4 UL
Study.com- Digital Marketing = 3 UL
University- Hardware Support Esentials = 4 LL C
Ed4credit- MIS = 3 UL C
SL- C++ Programming 4 UL
CSU Global - System Analysis & Design = 3 C

Gen Man AOS-
Study.com- HRM, Digital Marketing,
SL - Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Organzitional Behavior.
DAU- Contact Administration, Defense Procurement Management

[-] The following 1 user Likes yb1's post:
  • allvia
(01-14-2018, 01:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's awesome allvia!  I like Hodges's appeal in that area as well, their MPA and MIS programs are what I am looking at.  For me, ultimately, I have decided for an MIS vs MPA to further enhance my "resume".  I'd like to get into management maybe in the next 5 years, or later, anytime before I hit the big 50.

You know you would have to enroll ASAP if you have not? https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...?tid=28484

I am going to miss out on their MIS Sad But I'm not sure I would want to rush and be in a program that was ending.

Well there goes my MPA Sad I don't finish my bachelors until later this year.

From: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...?tid=28484

"Unfortunately, Hodges University will no longer be offering classes in the UPOWER format starting in February 2018. All the programs that are currently offered in the UPOWER format will transition into the traditional format where each course meets on campus or online for the duration of either 7-1/2 weeks or 15 weeks. The cost structure is also different as you would be paying per credit hour."
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Oh Snap! That goes a competency program, oh wells. I am going to look at WGU for the win as I need to start after April, as I get back from my trip mid April. I'll see what WGU offers then. May look for an ABET program from Excelsior, BSIT Cybersecurity. Was contemplating going to Hodges for MIS Cybersecurity instead.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
how easy is it to apply? do you know how the course work will be like? I finish all my classes in Jan 21 2018 graduate march 2018. I was thinking of taking some time off to rest till April but if this program is ending dam..

This program dont have a capstone compared to WGU right?
My Plan: Earn a MSML or a MBA at WGU!
(01-18-2018, 02:06 AM)BearEDU Wrote: how easy is it to apply? do you know how the course work will be like? I finish all my classes in Jan 21 2018 graduate march 2018. I was thinking of taking some time off to rest till April but if this program is ending dam..

On another post it said it's a writing-intensive program.  So if you have to write multiple long papers, I wouldn't think that would be an advantage over a single capstone course where you have to write a single long paper.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
(01-18-2018, 01:03 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 02:06 AM)BearEDU Wrote: how easy is it to apply? do you know how the course work will be like? I finish all my classes in Jan 21 2018 graduate march 2018. I was thinking of taking some time off to rest till April but if this program is ending dam..

On another post it said it's a writing-intensive program.  So if you have to write multiple long papers, I wouldn't think that would be an advantage over a single capstone course where you have to write a single long paper.

Yea I saw that post. I'm really split between trying to get into hodges or patten. Only issues is its been a really long time since I did math and patten has two math courses for their MBA. I need to try to look up peoples experiences with those courses and how hard is it.

I'm a bit better with the writing now because of the bsba capstone. I average about 15 pages a week...went way over that 4 pages for the case study lol.

Are you planning to get your masters as well and what school were you thinking?
My Plan: Earn a MSML or a MBA at WGU!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSA Hodges Removing UPOWER Format Febuary 1st, 2018 yb1 1 1,499 01-18-2018, 12:43 PM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Hodges or certificate? DavidHume 10 2,683 01-14-2018, 10:26 PM
Last Post: DavidHume
  Hodges University - Admissions Counselor scoriae 3 1,542 01-11-2018, 11:41 PM
Last Post: scoriae
  Hodges University: Competency-Based Master's Programs sanantone 22 4,115 04-18-2016, 03:28 PM
Last Post: hmsmark1977