Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to bed at 3am , HELP!
Hi I just started college and I'm trying to change my sleeping habits since 12th grade I've been sort of a night owl and lately it's been getting worse. I've been going to bed at 2 am and 3am and waking up 12pm/1pm. Even when trying to get to bed at around 10 - 11pm I tend to have an energy spike. Has anyone experienced this?
Haha you just described my schedule until I was about 27.

I would still do this today as a 30-something if I could get away with it, but a more normal work schedule and kids wont let that happen Wink
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
What are you doing at 2am? Online? Scrolling social media? Gaming? If so, those habits have to be replaced. If you can get off screens and do something else like read a book, journal, doodle, draw, or even wash dishes or fold your laundry etc, you’ll begin to change your habits. Id also start scheduling things in the morning hours so it forces you to get up. Then you’ll be more tired at night.

I’m an insomniac so I have to take melatonin.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
Make sure you dim the lights and turn down the sound at night. Prehistoric man didn't stay up late because there was nothing to stimulate him at night. You need to limit the late night stimulation, too.

Also force yourself up in the morning to exercise.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Great advice on limiting the light and forcing the early rise with exercise. I tend to go to bed around 1am and up around 7am but would much rather have a sleep schedule of 11am - 7am. School, forums and my love for movies keeps me up a little later - I am not sure if I'm willing to give any of them up at the moment Wink
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
(01-09-2018, 09:54 AM)originalamyj Wrote: What are you doing at 2am? Online? Scrolling social media? Gaming? If so, those habits have to be replaced. If you can get off screens and do something else like read a book, journal, doodle, draw, or even wash dishes or fold your laundry etc, you’ll begin to change your habits. Id also start scheduling things in the morning hours so it forces you to get up. Then you’ll be more tired at night.

I’m an insomniac so I have to take melatonin.

I usually study and listen to music.
https://justgetflux.com has helped me
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nixi's post:
  • keepsingin
My contribution to this thread is alike to the blind leading the blind lol, but I do have a few suggestions I've picked up dealing with insomnia. For one, small doses of melatonin taken irregularly (along with the other suggestions mentioned above) can help reset the circadian rhythm for some people. It's important to know what you're doing with melatonin or it can have the opposite effect and mess up your sleep cycle even further, so be well informed on it before trying it. I've had the same sleep issues you mentioned for years and years and melatonin is the only good-for-you remedy I've found that has made a noticeable difference for me.

Due to my schedule, I have to work on my laptop at night, and so I recommend using blue-light-blocking glasses for night-time computer/phone use if you're in the same boat. Find them on Amazon, they're a little pricey but worth it. Also, if you're going to listen to music at night, it should be relaxing music, not stimulating, or you're undoing all your other efforts! None of these are quick fixes but it can get better, so keep at it...best of luck to you dealing with this!
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
The only thing that helped for me was having kids. Forced 6am rising by an early bird just about killed me, but even now (he's 13), I still get up around 7am most mornings because I need to get them going and off to school. Being forced to get up in the mornings has been the cure for me. I'm too tired most nights to stay up past midnight even though I'm a night owl.

BTW - I have a night owl child, plus she required a LOT of sleep (13 hours most nights right up until she started HS and we stopped homeschooling), and she also forces herself to wake up early even on mornings she doesn't go to school, so goes to bed at a decent hour as well. She kind of just trained herself to do this, realizing that a night owl schedule isn't the best for her peace of mind and fitting in with the rest of society.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
This is very common. Nothing to worry about actually. You know, it's hard to just switch and change your ways immediately.
I would work in setting your time management and slowly adapt to the times you want to set up/plan to have for the day.
Sometimes studying/working these hours is like working a p/t graveyard job, it takes getting used to...
Just like when you change back to a 9-5. Get a calendar/schedule and place/set your times accordingly.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]