Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General StraighterLine Questions
Hi forum!  I'm currently enrolled in the StraighterLine American Government course, hoping to complete it this week.
I have some general questions that aren't really answered through the SL FAQs I could find, so if anyone who's done an SL course could give me some help that'd be fantastic.

1. Regarding the final proctored exam, is there an opportunity to retake it if my grade isn't passing?  Can't find any information about this on their website.
2. What are some good study methods/resources for the types of questions StraighterLine asks?  I find often times they ask obscure questions that weren't covered in the study material and I'm unsure of how to prepare for that.
3. How is the StraighterLine tutoring program?  I apparently have 10 free hours but am not sure of the practicality of their tutor system.

Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Jack
(01-12-2018, 05:16 PM)jmclep Wrote: Hi forum!  I'm currently enrolled in the StraighterLine American Government course, hoping to complete it this week.
I have some general questions that aren't really answered through the SL FAQs I could find, so if anyone who's done an SL course could give me some help that'd be fantastic.

1. Regarding the final proctored exam, is there an opportunity to retake it if my grade isn't passing?  Can't find any information about this on their website.
2. What are some good study methods/resources for the types of questions StraighterLine asks?  I find often times they ask obscure questions that weren't covered in the study material and I'm unsure of how to prepare for that.
3. How is the StraighterLine tutoring program?  I apparently have 10 free hours but am not sure of the practicality of their tutor system.

Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Jack

(1) final - no, you only get one attempt. Remember, you don't have to pass the exam, just the course. Your exam is only worth 20-30% (I can't remember) but it's possible to pass (or super close to it) and still fail your exam but pass the course.

(2) They will recycle questions for the final, so pay really close attention to the questions on the quizzes/tests. You'll see them again! Every quiz you do will mark the correct answer, so even if you miss it the first time, you don't have to miss it twice Wink

(3) Not used it!
1) You can easily pass most courses with a low score on your final exam. Many courses you could theoretically even get a 0 on your final exam and still pass the course. Accounting I, and college algebra for example only count the final exam as 20% of your final grade. While I wouldn't recommend doing this as it may raise some red flags, it's possible to go into most SL final exams confident you'll get credit regardless of your score. Just make sure you do the quizzes along the way carefully to put yourself in this advantageous position.

2) Agreed with cookderosa to review the questions on past quizzes as a way to study for the finals. This is especially useful in the math courses. If you don't know how to solve an equation, it's well worth figuring out right after the first graded quiz because later graded quizzes will build upon this understanding. The final exam is also likely to feature such questions.

3) Not sure about the tutoring program. As stated before due to the SL courses being graded so heavily on coursework, I was virtually never in doubt I'd pass any of the classes. Though there were sometimes concepts I didn't understand in the math and science classes, I was confident enough with the rest of the material to be comfortable skipping over the especially difficult stuff as the return on investment wasn't worth it for me. Hopefully someone else can answer provide insight into this.
(01-13-2018, 07:27 AM)CamXoai Wrote: While I wouldn't recommend doing this as it may raise some red flags, it's possible to go into most SL final exams confident you'll get credit regardless of your score.

I just want to emphasize that you don't have to pass the final, you have to pass the COURSE. There are no red flags to worry about because you're not doing anything wrong! The wording of the red flag comment freaked me out a little because it suggests that you can get "caught" or that you're breaking some kind of rule, but in this case, you're making up rules that don't exist and implying others follow them.
Hi, I'm sorry if my post was ambigious or misleading. That certainly was not the intent. I agree with cookderosa that you don't need to pass the finals and it's not unethical if you bomb it for some reason. It also was not my intent to be a control freak and insist others do everything the same as I have. If it appears that way I apologize.

Just pointing out it could look suspicious if you always get 100% on the rest of all your courses and fail all the finals with a sub 50% score. Of course it doesn't matter if its just an ocassional bad test. I can't confirm or deny if others have had any problems doing that. Just trying to help avoid a potential headache by considering things from an examiner's perspective. In any case, you should be fine. My post was simply trying to help. Please take what is useful from it.
(01-13-2018, 10:56 PM)CamXoai Wrote: Hi, I'm sorry if my post was ambigious or misleading. That certainly was not the intent. I agree with cookderosa that you don't need to pass the finals and it's not unethical if you bomb it for some reason. It also was not my intent to be a control freak and insist others do everything the same as I have. If it appears that way I apologize.

Just pointing out it could look suspicious if you always get 100% on the rest of all your courses and fail all the finals with a sub 50% score. Of course it doesn't matter if its just an ocassional bad test. I can't confirm or deny if others have had any problems doing that. Just trying to help avoid a potential headache by considering things from an examiner's perspective. In any case, you should be fine. My post was simply trying to help. Please take what is useful from it.

There are no examiners. It's a computerized process. Calculators don't have feelings or suspicions, so your scores -whatever they are- total 70 and equal pass or they don't.

You, of course, can aim for any score you want! If you aim high, I hope you hit your goals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 93 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,677 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 262 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 2 369 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 666 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 414 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 581 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Linked University Questions for Sophia jdubley 8 1,287 09-28-2023, 10:21 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,121 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore