Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vent- Ashford U
(01-13-2018, 07:12 PM)Ideas Wrote: At Ashford, did you ask for more info? At a school I attended, their online evaluation didn't give much detail, but an advisor could email me different details.

Yes.  This is a big part of what's irritating me.  They won't talk to me.  Registrar's office (which is who handles the evaluation) won't talk to me; they say I need to talk to my academic advisor.  But she doesn't know anything, because she's not the one who does the eval. 

It turns out the school I did my AAS with just rolled out two new bachelors programs.  (They're completely new this term.)  I think that even if they won't transfer in any of my other credits, I still come out ahead with them, because of course all of their own credit counts.  If they'll take my non-traditional gen ed credits in transfer, I should need 45 remaining credits or fewer.  So I'm thinking to see if it's too late to just enroll there and just quit dealing with Ashford.

But there's still the matter that they're nationally-accredited, not regionally.  Once I've completed the degree, will that matter?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
I wouldn't do the NA degree, especially because it will probably cost you more and take longer. I think APU would accept most of what you have, or all. Excelsior might too.

(01-13-2018, 08:24 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: ...

But there's still the matter that they're nationally-accredited, not regionally.  Once I've completed the degree, will that matter?

It depends on what you want the degree to do for you. If you just want to get employed, the answer is "probably not." Many employers are fairly oblivious to the issue of national vs regional accreditation. If you want to go onto to grad school, the same issues you've been dealing with on your credits will happen again with trying to find a grad program that will accept an NA bachelor's... but you could always get an NA Master's.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • a2jc4life
A shout out to TESU for actually having an eval that you can understand, and shows where everything came from. It's about the only thing they do 100% awesomely, but it seriously makes up for a lot of the deficits they have because if you know what you have, you know what you need! Sorry, tangent, but TESU does get so much shade thrown at them by us (me included) that I wanted to say something nice about them for once! :-P
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • a2jc4life, jamshid666, mudball
(01-13-2018, 08:24 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: [quote='Ideas' pid='250234' dateline='1515888772']

Yes. Especially in your field. - But that's for another day.

I am not sure that I'm feeling especially articulate right now, but if I could try and encourage you a bit. I was EXACTLY where you are, and reading comments from others in this thread brings it all back. I remember hitting a few speed bumps during my AA/BA process.

Getting through the classes was always the LEAST of my headaches, it was ALWAYS the "process" happening somewhere outside of my control. This or that person's hand in my completion/success in some office somewhere.

On the other side of this, with my degree(s) in hand, I want to tell you that 50% of people who start won't finish (ever) and I believe it's because of the B&#LSH$T of a broken system. When I meet college graduates, I no longer am *impressed* by their knowledge or smarts, I'm impressed by their tenacity. College is just about jumping through the hoops and not letting them wear you down.

Whatever you decide, don't stop. Just keep going- that's the only way.
I'm pretty sure the cost will be lower at ACHS than Ashford. I'm positive it will take less time. I'm pretty sure that even if they take none of my outside credits, I still have fewer than 60 credits left to take, which is more than I can say for Ashford. I'm still looking into the other options, but so far everyone I've looked it will take either my ACHS credits or my other credits, but not both. And no one is taking any of the credits I tested out of ACHS, which is not a problem *at* ACHS.

The only reason I want the bachelors in the first place is because I want to enroll in this: http://hawthornuniversity.org/MSHN/mshn-...rview.html and it's a master's program so they won't take me without a bachelors degree. (I have asked them if they'd consider waiving that requirement and taking me on a probationary basis, 'cause you never know unless you ask, right? But they said no.) It isn't accredited at all right now, so I can't imagine they'd refuse to accept the BS from ACHS, but I'm also hoping they'll be accredited by the time I'm ready to enroll; they've been in process for a while now.

The only difference it makes in my state is whether or not I can use the designation "nutritionist," and the regionally-accredited bachelor degrees wouldn't allow for that, either, because they're in the wrong AOS.

dfrecore, I have no issues with TESU. They were actually my original plan, that bombed when I discovered about national vs. regional accreditation. They will take 0 of my 66 credits in transfer, because of the accreditation discrepancy. Sad

(01-14-2018, 10:04 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 08:24 PM)a2jc4life Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 07:12 PM)Ideas Wrote: But there's still the matter that they're nationally-accredited, not regionally.  Once I've completed the degree, will that matter?

Yes.  Especially in your field.  - But that's for another day.

I am not sure that I'm feeling especially articulate right now, but if I could try and encourage you a bit.  I was EXACTLY where you are, and reading comments from others in this thread brings it all back.  I remember hitting a few speed bumps during my AA/BA process.  

Getting through the classes was always the LEAST of my headaches, it was ALWAYS the "process" happening somewhere outside of my control.  This or that person's hand in my completion/success in some office somewhere.  

On the other side of this, with my degree(s) in hand, I want to tell you that 50% of people who start won't finish (ever) and I believe it's because of the B&#LSH$T of a broken system.  When I meet college graduates, I no longer am *impressed* by their knowledge or smarts, I'm impressed by their tenacity.  College is just about jumping through the hoops and not letting them wear you down.

Whatever you decide, don't stop.  Just keep going- that's the only way.
Thank you.  I needed that!  And I totally agree.  I just told my husband last night that I don't mind taking the actual classes; I hate dealing with the politics. Tongue

Let me back up a little here. Marketable is good, obviously, but that isn't my primary goal. My primary passion is educating consumers about health, so the greatest value of a credential, for me, is something that will communicate to readers that I'm not just another mom with a computer. (Not that "just a mom" with a computer can't really know her stuff in MY mind, but that's not reassuring enough for everyone!) And I need a bachelors degree of some kind in order to enroll in the masters program I want, which I also don't have a specific end in mind for. I just want to do that program because it's of interest to me.

My *original* plan was to transfer everything possible into TESU, do some PLA, and hopefully be a good ways through a degree in Liberal Studies with LDAS concentration (or whatever they call it when it's LDAS) in "health communications" or some such. All my official education (and some independent study) is in holistic health, but most of my experience is in writing, editing, Wordpress management, basic web design, etc.

So I'm definitely open to something other than holistic health. I'm just somewhat limited in what my credits would apply to. (I don't want to do a business degree, though. Nothing wrong with it; it just sounds less interesting to me than a trip to the dentist, so I don't see myself being able to stick it out for the remaining classes if they're all business.)
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

I remember ACHS from a few years ago, I thought it was strange that they offered Associate degrees and it jumped to a Masters. It’s good they finally have two new programs in the Bachelors arena, I see a few of the requirements are business and a mixed set of online courses. Reach out to them and see what can be done.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
This seems to be very common among natural health-oriented schools. I think they lack the resources to provide as much by way of general ed courses. The two new bachelors programs don't even have all of their courses available yet. (I think there are only two of the newly-required courses available this term.)

I'm checking with them, and also with APU & Liberty. Possibly Excelsior, although it's not cheap to apply there, and I think they look "iffy" with regard to taking my courses, from what I see on their site. If Liberty will take them, Liberty could be an excellent option for me, though. They have an Interdisciplinary Studies option that should allow me some flexibility. And they're almost local to me, so if I have to storm someone's office to get logistics dealt with, that isn't outside the realm of possibility. Wink

Does anyone know if they take ACE credit? I haven't found that on their site, so far.
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

https://study.com/directory/school/Liber...ransferTab
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Yup, they take ACE. Here's their SL Equivalency : https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor Vent Lima845 4 885 06-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: davewill