Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vent- Ashford U
(01-14-2018, 10:12 AM)a2jc4life Wrote: I'm pretty sure the cost will be lower at ACHS than Ashford. I'm positive it will take less time. I'm pretty sure that even if they take none of my outside credits, I still have fewer than 60 credits left to take, which is more than I can say for Ashford. I'm still looking into the other options, but so far everyone I've looked it will take either my ACHS credits or my other credits, but not both. And no one is taking any of the credits I tested out of ACHS, which is not a problem *at* ACHS.

The only reason I want the bachelors in the first place is because I want to enroll in this: http://hawthornuniversity.org/MSHN/mshn-...rview.html and it's a master's program so they won't take me without a bachelors degree. (I have asked them if they'd consider waiving that requirement and taking me on a probationary basis, 'cause you never know unless you ask, right? But they said no.) It isn't accredited at all right now, so I can't imagine they'd refuse to accept the BS from ACHS, but I'm also hoping they'll be accredited by the time I'm ready to enroll; they've been in process for a while now.

The only difference it makes in my state is whether or not I can use the designation "nutritionist," and the regionally-accredited bachelor degrees wouldn't allow for that, either, because they're in the wrong AOS.

dfrecore, I have no issues with TESU. They were actually my original plan, that bombed when I discovered about national vs. regional accreditation. They will take 0 of my 66 credits in transfer, because of the accreditation discrepancy. Sad

(01-14-2018, 10:04 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 08:24 PM)a2jc4life Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 07:12 PM)Ideas Wrote: But there's still the matter that they're nationally-accredited, not regionally.  Once I've completed the degree, will that matter?

Yes.  Especially in your field.  - But that's for another day.

I am not sure that I'm feeling especially articulate right now, but if I could try and encourage you a bit.  I was EXACTLY where you are, and reading comments from others in this thread brings it all back.  I remember hitting a few speed bumps during my AA/BA process.  

Getting through the classes was always the LEAST of my headaches, it was ALWAYS the "process" happening somewhere outside of my control.  This or that person's hand in my completion/success in some office somewhere.  

On the other side of this, with my degree(s) in hand, I want to tell you that 50% of people who start won't finish (ever) and I believe it's because of the B&#LSH$T of a broken system.  When I meet college graduates, I no longer am *impressed* by their knowledge or smarts, I'm impressed by their tenacity.  College is just about jumping through the hoops and not letting them wear you down.

Whatever you decide, don't stop.  Just keep going- that's the only way.
Thank you.  I needed that!  And I totally agree.  I just told my husband last night that I don't mind taking the actual classes; I hate dealing with the politics. Tongue

Let me back up a little here. Marketable is good, obviously, but that isn't my primary goal. My primary passion is educating consumers about health, so the greatest value of a credential, for me, is something that will communicate to readers that I'm not just another mom with a computer. (Not that "just a mom" with a computer can't really know her stuff in MY mind, but that's not reassuring enough for everyone!) And I need a bachelors degree of some kind in order to enroll in the masters program I want, which I also don't have a specific end in mind for. I just want to do that program because it's of interest to me.

My *original* plan was to transfer everything possible into TESU, do some PLA, and hopefully be a good ways through a degree in Liberal Studies with LDAS concentration (or whatever they call it when it's LDAS) in "health communications" or some such. All my official education (and some independent study) is in holistic health, but most of my experience is in writing, editing, Wordpress management, basic web design, etc.

So I'm definitely open to something other than holistic health. I'm just somewhat limited in what my credits would apply to. (I don't want to do a business degree, though. Nothing wrong with it; it just sounds less interesting to me than a trip to the dentist, so I don't see myself being able to stick it out for the remaining classes if they're all business.)

I know I'm not telling you something you don't already know, but states regulate this field (nutrition/wellness/health/medicine) heavily (falling under the helm of public protection) which *technically speaking* to do what you're trying to do- you don't even need a degree. It's worth pointing out that though I have a Masters of Science degree in Nutrition from an RA college, I can't call myself a Nutritionist in almost every state - I'd be practicing medicine without a license.
(01-14-2018, 10:04 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Getting through the classes was always the LEAST of my headaches, it was ALWAYS the "process" happening somewhere outside of my control.  This or that person's hand in my completion/success in some office somewhere.  On the other side of this, with my degree(s) in hand, I want to tell you that 50% of people who start won't finish (ever) and I believe it's because of the B&#LSH$T of a broken system.  When I meet college graduates, I no longer am *impressed* by their knowledge or smarts, I'm impressed by their tenacity.  College is just about jumping through the hoops and not letting them wear you down.
I have less experience with it, but I came to the same conclusion. Especially when taking actual classes. (ACE, etc seems like less risk and so much faster and cheaper.)
Although if a student never moves/transfers, they might not have to jump through hoops.

[-] The following 2 users Like Ideas's post:
  • a2jc4life, cookderosa
If you are looking into applying at Excelsior, (aka EC) as many here suggest, be aware there is No application fee (aka Free to apply) because you have completed two Study.com courses - making you eligible for their partnership program. Your only cost would be for transcripts to be sent to Excelsior where applicable.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • a2jc4life
If you're looking to get an unaccredited masters, then why not get an unaccredited bachelors?

Make sure you research your state laws on marketing unaccredited degrees (especially in health-related areas), and check to see if they have a list of banned schools.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • a2jc4life
Even if I were getting an NA Masters, I would want my Bachelors to be RA. Unless I was certain I was never going to apply for jobs that require an RA Bachelors. Even then, I would want an RA Bachelors if it didn't cost much more time/money.

Hopefully APU or Liberty will be just as easy as ACHS. Probably easier, faster, and cheaper because of ACE.

I think having a similar major at APU is better than "Interdisciplinary Studies". Public Health with Nutrition and Wellness concentration.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • a2jc4life
(01-14-2018, 05:09 PM)Ideas Wrote: Even if I were getting an NA Masters, I would want my Bachelors to be RA. Unless I was certain I was never going to apply for jobs that require an RA Bachelors. Even then, I would want an RA Bachelors if it didn't cost much more time/money.

Hopefully APU or Liberty will be just as easy as ACHS. Probably easier, faster, and cheaper because of ACE.

I think having a similar major at APU is better than "Interdisciplinary Studies". Public Health with Nutrition and Wellness concentration.

The masters isn't NA; it's unaccredited. I'm just trying to see the point in getting an accredited bachelors (RA or NA) just to get into an unaccredited graduate program and use the unaccredited degree to market oneself as an unlicensed health advisor.

But, if the OP wants at least one accredited degree, then NA should be fine. Even an RA program won't qualify her for licensure, so it really doesn't matter.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
  • a2jc4life
bjcheung77 Wrote:I remember ACHS from a few years ago, I thought it was strange that they offered Associate degrees and it jumped to a Masters. It’s good they finally have two new programs in the Bachelors arena, I see a few of the requirements are business and a mixed set of online courses. Reach out to them and see what can be done.

I would continue with ACHS for a Bachelors/Masters degree over Hawthorn as they have NA Master degrees.
Just like Hawthorn, ACHS also carries the Masters in Holistic Nutrition, https://achs.edu/achs-academics
Another DEAC option, if you are into Healthcare/Integrative Nutrition, would be https://www.hchs.edu/programs
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • a2jc4life
(01-14-2018, 05:16 PM)sanantone Wrote: But, if the OP wants at least one accredited degree, then NA should be fine. Even an RA program won't qualify her for licensure, so it really doesn't matter.

Exactly my point too, I like that you were more direct.
The elephant in the room here is that we're talking about RA/NA/UA in this thread as if we're talking about a generic Business or Liberal Arts degree.
In this field, the path to a nutrition license is determined by the state's own licensing board, so the college program is either going to qualify you for licensure or it's not. If someone doesn't want to get licensed in nutrition, then accreditation and degree don't matter - it's personal preference.
Frankly, I think there are probably a zillion non-degree programs and certificates that would hold just as much "cred" in the natural /health/supplement community than a degree anyway. (keeping in mind that community is exceptionally skeptical of content in a degree leading to nutrition licensure anyway).
(01-14-2018, 05:52 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:I remember ACHS from a few years ago, I thought it was strange that they offered Associate degrees and it jumped to a Masters.  It’s good they finally have two new programs in the Bachelors arena, I see a few of the requirements are business and a mixed set of online courses.  Reach out to them and see what can be done.

I would continue with ACHS for a Bachelors/Masters degree over Hawthorn as they have NA Master degrees.  
Just like Hawthorn, ACHS also carries the Masters in Holistic Nutrition, https://achs.edu/achs-academics
Another DEAC option, if you are into Healthcare/Integrative Nutrition, would be https://www.hchs.edu/programs

If I recall correctly, the OP wasn't interested in getting a masters at ACHS or HCHS because she didn't agree with the focus or theories behind their nutrition programs.

I would think that, if one wanted more credibility, that person would just get a masters at an accredited school and study other theories of nutrition on the side.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
  • a2jc4life
(01-14-2018, 08:44 PM)sanantone Wrote: I would think that, if one wanted more credibility, that person would just get a masters at an accredited school and study other theories of nutrition on the side.

I think this topic is fascinating.

Allow me to throw something in; I think some of you are viewing it through a different lens than the original poster.

IF she is not doing this to appease the state licensors, then... the only opinion that really counts is her peer group. A group that may not be as focused on academic rigidity and custom as they are other points.

My mind is mushy... let me take another run at the last part. I don't know her world. Maybe they all think that the university that is torturing her so is the, ah, Harvard of holistic health. Viewing it through that lens, it makes perfect sense to do what it takes to obtain that credential. It makes no sense to a medical doctor, or an academic - both measuring different metrics.

She needs a credential that enhances her validity in her peer group and among the followers of holistic health. Whatever that might be doesn't necessarily have to pass muster with state officials or people in other disciplines; it just has to work in her field. And, part of that has to be name recognition in the degree. A person might not have a clue what a Master of Interdisciplinary Study might be, but I guarantee you they'll understand Doctor of Wise Traditions Nutrition (I don't, I stole part of that from one of the links).

Now, if she wants to subsequently parlay all that work into something credible to academics or more conventional medical fields... she's going be be SOL, but from reading her posts, I think she's acutely aware of her plight.

Am I reading this right, or am I way off base? I feel like education should track your needs, instead of you being shoehorned into a degree because that's what's available.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

[-] The following 1 user Likes High_Order1's post:
  • a2jc4life

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor Vent Lima845 4 841 06-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: davewill