Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competency based vs Self Paced
I seem to hear schools throw around "competency-based" and "self-paced" as if they are one and the same thing. To me, there is a difference. If you can test out of a competency and move onto the next competency that sounds competency-based. But if a school expect you to compete all assignments, projects (which are built into the course and require reading all the material), but you can do that at your own pace, that sounds self-paced, not competency-based. I'm curious about WGU (or some of these other schools that are talked about on this board). Do any of them let you test out before you start the course? Do you still need to complete all projects and papers? If not, how does one get through an MBA in one term?
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
I was thinking about this the other day while I was comparing the Patten model vs the WGU model.

Patten seems more self paced and WGU seems more competency based.

Patten requires you to do one project and one exam per course, and optional assignments that will count towards your grade if you choose to do them. In either case, you end the course with a letter grade. You don't have to read any of the material, but the exams do have some specific questions from the material (and a ton of questions about topics never addressed in the material, but that's a whole other issue).

WGU you can jump right to the final exam (or project, depending on course... Some require both, but that's not the usual). The assessments are not specific to the material, bit the overall concepts. The courses result in pass/fail, never a letter grade.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Yeah, I agree that competency-based should mean you can test-out. I think that I would still call it competency-based if there was something like a lab skills check, or other skills exam. So for a language class, I would still say it's competency based even if you had to record a speech. Or for a writing class, I think it's still competency based if you had to write papers. But to me, you have to be able to rely only on prior knowledge.

But I think many schools and companies misuse the terminology and mix them up. So in reality, you don't know what it will be like.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(01-15-2018, 03:56 PM)Ideas Wrote: Yeah, I agree that competency-based should mean you can test-out. I think that I would still call it competency-based if there was something like a lab skills check, or other skills exam. So for a language class, I would still say it's competency based even if you had to record a speech. Or for a writing class, I think it's still competency based if you had to write papers. But to me, you have to be able to rely only on prior knowledge.

But I think many schools and companies misuse the terminology and mix them up. So in reality, you don't know what it will be like.

Great point!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Ideas
Honestly, every school is competency-based. You aren't rated, mos of the time, on how well you brown-nose your professors. Certainly that can affect your grade, but the lion's share comes from how well you understand the material.

The idea of competency-based education a la Patten, Hodges, WGU, and every similar option is very much rooted in self-paced coursework, which permits those who are competent in the subject to move more quickly than those who are incompetent in the subject.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
The purpose of competency-based programs is to allow people to move as slowly or as quickly as needed, with limitations, and skip over unneeded lessons. The traditional format is based on time, and everyone is required to complete a predetermined set of assignments regardless of prior knowledge.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I am finding condensed online courses are 95% "self-paced" within the term.  I love these short-term courses and I cut them down to only 1/3.

Fall I, Excelsior College, Capstone 8-week course (I completed in first 3 weeks).
Fall II, FTCC 8 week Course (I completed in first 2 weeks).
Spring 2018, HC, 10-week course (I just completed in 1 week).

All books read before course started.  All papers, online exams, initial posts (12-21 avg each) all completed in first 1-3 weeks. Big Grin  
In two weeks, I will start reading Spring II term books that start on 3.15.2018.

Reply to student discussions are easy, but I have to wait for them (5%). Sad
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Ideas
I think competency-based and self-paced are almost interchangeable (if you already know the material, your pace will be faster than someone who is just learning it for the first time). You can also move onto the next course more quickly because you can finish a course as quickly as you want/are able to.

Like Sanantone said, traditional models are time-based - it's an 8-week or 12-week or 16-week course, with a schedule already set out for when assignments are due and exams need to be taken. You could do the work faster, but you won't get your grade until after the time period has elapsed. You can't progress faster through the course or overall program due to already knowing the material.

So really it's competency-based/self-paced vs. time-based (and not competency-based vs self-paced).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rasmussen College competency based MPH Popestt 45 8,184 09-16-2023, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Popestt
  Competency-Based MBA Programs without proctored tests klone 4 880 09-01-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coursed Based Masters In IT SWE CS IS MIS ITM? sam98 13 1,157 08-16-2023, 07:53 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Competency Based Masters in Finance? BrennTaylor 7 1,055 07-22-2023, 02:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Singapore based MBA. $490 ReyMysterioso 5 1,504 12-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: soulblader
  Looking for US-based MBA or Health-Related Masters with Programmatic Accreditations sarahmac 7 1,145 11-10-2022, 07:37 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Competency Based EdS/MEd in Higher Ed? DeanLewis 5 1,074 10-23-2022, 08:59 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UoPhoenix Competency-Based Masters in Psych cokididwa 9 1,246 09-03-2022, 11:56 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Which master's based on these two choices (Poll)? allvia 18 1,662 08-22-2022, 11:18 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Graduate Competency-based Programs jb0433 8 2,001 07-02-2022, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Vle045