Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU vs TESU with the credits I have?
Hey all - I've been plugging away at CLEPS the last few months to secure my BOG AAS. I know it's an insignificant degree overall, but it's a huge victory for me and an incredibly cost-effective stepping stone - I've done all of my CLEP courses through Modern States! I'm finally at a point where I have to decide on my next move. I'm oscillating between WGU and TESU. At this moment, I am part of a Grow with Google scholarship program where I'm learning front-end web development and vying for a spot in their 6-month nano degree program, fully paid for. WGU offers an IT degree that includes this nano degree, so if I found out in April that I *did* get that scholarship, I'll likely go ahead and pursue that path. It's a 1 in 10 shot I'll be chosen, though, so I need to make some backup plans! Here's where I could use some guidance or insight.

TESU has the much more generous transfer policy for alternative credit sources - not only in number (WGU only takes 90), but also where they can come from - and that's really attractive to me. I'd much rather self-study and test out of every possible thing than slog through "classes". On the other hand, it seems that if I transferred in 90 credits and finished my last 30 in one term at WGU, the cost savings would be significant - especially with their payment plans. I'm going to throw in the list of what I have credit for already and if anyone could help me fill in the blanks for finishing my degree through TESU, I'd be insanely grateful. I'm more concerned with cost than time, but I'd like to finish as quickly as possible. I've done 10 CLEPS since November and am just ready to be done with things and start my life at the ripe age of 32  Tongue

I'm pursuing a degree in HR, but am also heavily considering an IT path instead. I started as a lib arts major, obviously - but need more utility so I'm trying to switch gears as efficiently as possible. My decision will honestly come down to which I can finish for the least money. I really, truly, with my entire heart appreciate this forum beyond words. It's kept me motivated for years until I could finally start tackling this goal, and it's going to change my life when I finally check that box. Thanks for all you do!!!

My Credits:

3 -Intro to Psych - AP Credit
3 English Comp - CLEP Modular

1 -Developing Effective Teams - Sophia
2 -Insurance Ethics - The Institutes
3 - Intro to Computers - CC
1 - Ivy 101 - CC
3 -Intro Speech - CC
3 -Linguistics - CC
3 -History 1877-P - CC
3 -Intro to Ethics - CC
2 -Fit and Well - CC
3 -World Geo - CC
3 -College Math - CC

3 -Human G&D - CLEP
? -Biology - CLEP
3 -Business Law - CLEP
3- Principles Mgmt - CLEP
3 -Macro - CLEP
3 -Micro - CLEP
3 -A&I Lit - CLEP
3 -American Gov - CLEP
3 -Intro Marketing - CLEP
3 -Intro to Sociology - CLEP

n/m....helps to read the post
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(01-17-2018, 07:00 PM)quigongene Wrote: n/m....helps to read the post

Haha, i came here to reply but see you caught it. I have 30 RA credits already Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes daelaria's post:
  • quigongene
If I were you, I would definitely continue on and get the BOG AAS, because that's going to be a factor for WGU - they will accept your AAS as a block transfer, and most of your Gen Ed's will be covered.

Then, you really need to decide on what degree you want, more than which school, because that makes a huge difference.  WGU only accepts 90cr of transfer, but it will still be the cheaper business degree if you can get through it quickly (1 term).  And for an IT, it will DEFINITELY be cheaper than TESU, with the added bonus of those certs that they give you.

At this point, with the courses you have, you're only $100 more for the BSBA over the BALS - and the BSBA is certainly the more useful degree, IMHO.  The credits are mostly Gen Ed, with some business courses, so it's just a shifting around of courses.

Here's what I would do if I were you (assuming you want to continue with Modern States/CLEP):
1) Take English Comp II (probably the CLEP w/essay), but DSST is also a choice
2) Take Int Algebra, College Algebra and Stats (CLEP for College Algebra)
3) Apply for the Study.com scholarship, and take 6 courses
- Personal Finance (required, Free Elective at TESU)
- BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior (required for WGU BSIT, works in TESU BSBA and BALS)
- BUS 120: International Business (required for WGU BSBM, works in TESU BSBA and BALS)
- BUS 311: Project Management  (required for WGU BSIT & BSBM, works in BSBA and Free Elective in BALS)

I included a spreadsheet with all 4 degrees, although not entirely complete.  But, the Blue lines show what's completed, the yellow shows what you should take and the green on the WGU BSBM shows what you should take at WGU.  Those courses are either required, or don't have inexpensive alternatives.  The BSIT is not complete, but at least you have an idea.

Attached Files
.xlsx   daelaria TESU 2016 BALS.xlsx (Size: 85.09 KB / Downloads: 45)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • daelaria
Wow, if you're only 32, I am about a decade older than you. At your age, if you're not married/have kids or other commitments, I would actually recommend just continuing to CLEP all the gen ed/business courses possible at Modern States (unless you've finished all the ones they offer) and work on the remainder of the free credits from the WIKI (TEEX/NFA). Plug that into a spreadsheet, one for TESU and another sheet for WGU. You can get yourself a BSBA HR from TESU primarily using CLEP, Saylor/SL/Study.com - really cheap.

Using those same credits, see if you can transfer to a BSIT program at WGU, see how many credits they would give you in total. I would try to finish the remainder of the degree in one term, that would just be an extra $3100-3500 for a BSIT in 6 months, plus you get industry recognized certifications along the way! The ROI would be well worth it, just getting that secondary BSIT at WGU. Don't limit yourself to one degree, continue onward with both! You'll have Business and IT fields to specialize or find work in, instead of just one vertical.

From now until April or whenever you find out about the "nano degree/scholarship", go crazy with the ACE credits, cheap/easy/fast. If you do get the scholarship, go work with it, you'll still be X credits away from the BSBA HR, and you can go back to it... there's nothing stopping you from that, you can also apply to the Study.com Scholarship and see if you can get the majority of your HR credits there. I ask my kids - do you want lessons on how to Skate or Swim? My daughter & son answers, I want to do both - great, they have both options!

Final note, the BSBA from TESU is ACBSP, I don't think you will be able to find a program that cheap/easy/fast, having said that, WGU is the only program that offers BSIT and industry certifications at a very attractive price point, also cheap/easy/fast. It's not a hard decision, take both - decide which one comes first! Haha... good luck! Time to take my kids to their sports instructors for their lessons...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • daelaria
(01-17-2018, 09:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If I were you, I would definitely continue on and get the BOG AAS, because that's going to be a factor for WGU - they will accept your AAS as a block transfer, and most of your Gen Ed's will be covered.

Then, you really need to decide on what degree you want, more than which school, because that makes a huge difference.  WGU only accepts 90cr of transfer, but it will still be the cheaper business degree if you can get through it quickly (1 term).  And for an IT, it will DEFINITELY be cheaper than TESU, with the added bonus of those certs that they give you.

At this point, with the courses you have, you're only $100 more for the BSBA over the BALS - and the BSBA is certainly the more useful degree, IMHO.  The credits are mostly Gen Ed, with some business courses, so it's just a shifting around of courses.

Here's what I would do if I were you (assuming you want to continue with Modern States/CLEP):
- BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior (required for WGU BSIT, works in TESU BSBA and BALS)
- BUS 120: International Business (required for WGU BSBM, works in TESU BSBA and BALS)
- BUS 311: Project Management  (required for WGU BSIT & BSBM, works in BSBA and Free Elective in BALS)

I included a spreadsheet with all 4 degrees, although not entirely complete.  But, the Blue lines show what's completed, the yellow shows what you should take and the green on the WGU BSBM shows what you should take at WGU.  Those courses are either required, or don't have inexpensive alternatives.  The BSIT is not complete, but at least you have an idea.
 WHat an incredible, detailed and thoughtful reply. I have much to learn in the spreadsheet world - my course tracking one looks like a preschooler made it in comparison!  Tongue This is definitely helping me narrow things down and at this point, it seems probably most conducive to finish a BSBA degree and keep working on coding/programming skills on the side. Two skillsets for the price of one can't HURT. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

(01-17-2018, 09:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wow, if you're only 32, I am about a decade older than you.  At your age, if you're not married/have kids or other commitments, I would actually recommend just continuing to CLEP all the gen ed/business courses possible at Modern States (unless you've finished all the ones they offer) and work on the remainder of the free credits from the WIKI (TEEX/NFA).  Plug that into a spreadsheet, one for TESU and another sheet for WGU.  You can get yourself a BSBA HR from TESU primarily using CLEP, Saylor/SL/Study.com - really cheap.  

Using those same credits, see if you can transfer to a BSIT program at WGU, see how many credits they would give you in total.  I would try to finish the remainder of the degree in one term, that would just be an extra $3100-3500 for a BSIT in 6 months, plus you get industry recognized certifications along the way!  The ROI would be well worth it, just getting that secondary BSIT at WGU.  Don't limit yourself to one degree, continue onward with both!  You'll have Business and IT fields to specialize or find work in, instead of just one vertical.

From now until April or whenever you find out about the "nano degree/scholarship", go crazy with the ACE credits, cheap/easy/fast.  If you do get the scholarship, go work with it, you'll still be X credits away from the BSBA HR, and you can go back to it...  there's nothing stopping you from that, you can also apply to the Study.com Scholarship and see if you can get the majority of your HR credits there. I ask my kids - do you want lessons on how to Skate or Swim?  My daughter & son answers, I want to do both - great, they have both options!

Final note, the BSBA from TESU is ACBSP, I don't think you will be able to find a program that cheap/easy/fast, having said that, WGU is the only program that offers BSIT and industry certifications at a very attractive price point, also cheap/easy/fast.  It's not a hard decision, take both - decide which one comes first!  Haha... good luck!  Time to take my kids to their sports instructors for their lessons...
Your passion is infectious! I do have a daughter, and in a month will be switching from a comfortable live in nanny position to a much more time consuming "real world" job. In the time between, I am flying through the Modern States courses to get as many vouchers as I can at least secured - and since they are good for six months, my plan is to work through the tests as I have time. I definitely did think about the option of TESU and WGU both for the separate degrees, but as a gal living only marginally over the line of comfort between poverty and "getting by kind of", I can't see myself being able to afford both. I'll have to do some more research on financial aid type options there - the payment plan of WGU is incredibly attractive for that reason. Your idea is definitely solid though - if I can possibly grab both, it's definitely the way to go. HR professional with IT credentials AND a coding portfolio? If I can't find a job with that combo, it's on ME, haha. Thanks so much for the encouragement and guidance - it REALLY helps to have someone else lay things out in easily digestible steps when my eyes are soupy from pages of notes about all of this. You're awesome!!

(01-17-2018, 09:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here's what I would do if I were you (assuming you want to continue with Modern States/CLEP):

With Modern States, the CLEPS I have left are Principles of Finance, College Algebra (bleh) and I'm going to try my hand at their German course. IIRC, I could CLEP up to 12 credits for that exam and I took four years in high school and was the top student at the time. I'm not sure I could do much conversing NOW, but even 3-6 credits there would fill in some free elective gaps. Thanks so much for the suggestions about study.com courses - I have been eyeballing them, but their business list is SO expansive now I wasn't sure where to start!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 587 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,195 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 474 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 393 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,002 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,789 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,521 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy