Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which school accepts FEMA?
(01-24-2018, 10:34 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: To readers and CollegeChick, the general basics are mentioned in the quoted text of mine - above your question.  COSC does not charge for FEMA credits transferred to them directly.  They probably are the only school that doesn't charge anything (no transcript charges from FEMA - therefore, it's FREE, from 17-33 credits for a BGS, that was when I was researching them).  

I gave an example of Excelsior, they will accept FEMA but at a cost of $88/credit, and it's indirect - you have to get it transferred to FCC at $88/credit, then from FCC to transfer it into Excelsior!  Waste of money/time, I would say - if you need to use Excelsior, I recommended Saylor or Shmoop courses.  

Heck, I would go with TESU if that's the case, use all the ACE available credit providers, it would be about the same price, without the need to go the FEMA route.  See below link I've copied to post #18 from the Beginners Guide sticky.  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...#pid248207

My post mentions - Basic price calculations for school fees (not including ACE credits you obtain for transfer into the program):
COSC $2910, Excelsior $3315, TESU $3305, pricing isn't that much cheaper for COSC/Excelsior, but it requires 30 credits of UL for both.  Certainly, you can get the UL from Excelsior's own UExcels or even TECEPS, but they're harder than most ACE providers.  I think the time used for studying those exams, slightly extra cost for those exams, and the ease (difficulty rather) would offset the FREE FEMA credits.

Note: I chose TESU for 3 main reasons.  1) They got upgraded to University Status, 2) Their BSBA gained ACBSP accreditation, 3) Better - cheap/easy/fast ways of getting credit transferred into their programs.  Those 3 reasons cemented my decision going with them vs COSC or Excelsior.

Depending on the program you're going for, if it's a BALS and most programs.  Any of the three would be great options.  For the BSBA, I would choose TESU first, Excelsior for it's secondary ICABE accreditation, then COSC.  For other programs in with secondary accreditation such as IT/ABET, I would choose Excelsior for their IT programs that have ABET accreditation, then TESU, and followed by COSC.  

One final point I wanted to bring across for readers.  I just found out last week that another school accepts FEMA, after so many years on this board and the sister board (since Oct 2002) - link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...#pid250724 .  If you're going to Liberty University, I think they accept up to 30 credits FREE, but the only thing is, their residency requirements are 30 credits.  If you are currently attending Liberty, see if they can apply those to your BALS or another degree.

Hope this helps you and future students deciding on FEMA make an informed decision before partaking on their courses.  I took them as COSC was my first school choice for the price.  But my heart actually was still with Excelsior as I recommended them for years - they were the cheapest back in the day.  After so many changes, TESU won me over!   Last but not least, you may also want to take a look at Brandman & WGU for their inexpensive competency based degree programs, if you can finish it in a term, they are equally cheap at $3200 to $3500.

bjcheung77 [Image: buddy_offline.png] 

I like your reasoning.  I agree with you 100% on the Business and IT degree recommendations.  

For Homeland Security and Emergency Management degrees I would choose Excelsior (FEMA IS friendly and ACE EM credits friendly) first; TESU second (no FEMA IS allowed and not ACE EM friendly, but they do have the major), lastly COSC (no FEMA type major, FEMA IS free electives).  

If $400 is the difference between the Big 3 then money is not really even an issue.  It always amazes me the way a few folks on here argue about a few hundred dollars.  

Time value of money is and amount of effort is more of an issue.  

Getting the right degree major for the student is #1 Big Grin   
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(01-24-2018, 10:34 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: To readers and CollegeChick, the general basics are mentioned in the quoted text of mine - above your question.  COSC does not charge for FEMA credits transferred to them directly.  They probably are the only school that doesn't charge anything (no transcript charges from FEMA - therefore, it's FREE, from 17-33 credits for a BGS, that was when I was researching them).  

I gave an example of Excelsior, they will accept FEMA but at a cost of $88/credit, and it's indirect - you have to get it transferred to FCC at $88/credit, then from FCC to transfer it into Excelsior!  Waste of money/time, I would say - if you need to use Excelsior, I recommended Saylor or Shmoop courses.  

Heck, I would go with TESU if that's the case, use all the ACE available credit providers, it would be about the same price, without the need to go the FEMA route.  See below link I've copied to post #18 from the Beginners Guide sticky.  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...#pid248207

My post mentions - Basic price calculations for school fees (not including ACE credits you obtain for transfer into the program):
COSC $2910, Excelsior $3315, TESU $3305, pricing isn't that much cheaper for COSC/Excelsior, but it requires 30 credits of UL for both.  Certainly, you can get the UL from Excelsior's own UExcels or even TECEPS, but they're harder than most ACE providers.  I think the time used for studying those exams, slightly extra cost for those exams, and the ease (difficulty rather) would offset the FREE FEMA credits.

Note: I chose TESU for 3 main reasons.  1) They got upgraded to University Status, 2) Their BSBA gained ACBSP accreditation, 3) Better - cheap/easy/fast ways of getting credit transferred into their programs.  Those 3 reasons cemented my decision going with them vs COSC or Excelsior.

Depending on the program you're going for, if it's a BALS and most programs.  Any of the three would be great options.  For the BSBA, I would choose TESU first, Excelsior for it's secondary ICABE accreditation, then COSC.  For other programs in with secondary accreditation such as IT/ABET, I would choose Excelsior for their IT programs that have ABET accreditation, then TESU, and followed by COSC.  

One final point I wanted to bring across for readers.  I just found out last week that another school accepts FEMA, after so many years on this board and the sister board (since Oct 2002) - link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...#pid250724 .  If you're going to Liberty University, I think they accept up to 30 credits FREE, but the only thing is, their residency requirements are 30 credits.  If you are currently attending Liberty, see if they can apply those to your BALS or another degree.

Hope this helps you and future students deciding on FEMA make an informed decision before partaking on their courses.  I took them as COSC was my first school choice for the price.  But my heart actually was still with Excelsior as I recommended them for years - they were the cheapest back in the day.  After so many changes, TESU won me over!   Last but not least, you may also want to take a look at Brandman & WGU for their inexpensive competency based degree programs, if you can finish it in a term, they are equally cheap at $3200 to $3500.

Thank you for explaining all of this.  I was accepted at TESU two years ago.  At the time, all I needed were 15 UL credits, 2 lower level credits, 1 capstone and 1 mandatory class to graduate with a BA in Liberal Arts.  Not sure if this has changed.

I'm reconsidering Excelsior because I like that I could have a BS in Liberal Arts instead, without the added math course.  However, I think I read that Excelsior/COSC require 30 UL credits to graduate?  This route would still take me longer.  I'm not sure, I will start another thread asking for degree plans for Excelsior and TESU with all my existing credits.  What are my options for UL classes NOT using Saylor?  

Thanks again for explaining all of the FEMA courses.  Not sure if I even need them at this point, but if a school will count them and they can be applied, why not?
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
(01-18-2018, 07:10 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: At the certificate/diploma and associate level, you have three options, search their sites.  
Clackamus (actually, they stopped Dec 31/2017), you only have FCC (Frederick Community College) and Guam.
Clackamus: http://www.clackamas.edu/academics/depar...management
FCC: https://www.frederick.edu/degrees-certif...ement.aspx
Guam: http://www.guamcc.edu/Runtime/asEmergencyMgmt.aspx
I got a reply from the program instructor at Guam CC and was told that there is a Guam residency requirement. So if you don't live there, I guess you're out! 
Too bad sounded like an easy associates to get with the FEMA courses!
[-] The following 1 user Likes radconjohn's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(02-06-2018, 07:38 AM)radconjohn Wrote: I got a reply from the program instructor at Guam CC and was told that there is a Guam residency requirement. So if you don't live there, I guess you're out! 
Too bad sounded like an easy associates to get with the FEMA courses!

Thanks for the great update!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying to PA school ashtonnewman 18 3,977 08-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,404 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,711 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,761 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
  Tesu..finish a degree ad grad school Sb2013 11 3,272 05-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Last Post: SDO
  Need Help - School that awards 60 credit general Asscociate Degree Synicaal 9 2,462 02-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  How many donate to their school as alumni? Life Long Learning 7 2,256 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  I'm finished and grad school encouragement bannerfield 8 2,622 09-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  COSC 2 FEMA Liberal Arts credits trinipirate 2 2,404 08-21-2017, 03:49 PM
Last Post: trinipirate
  anyone had an issue applying for Grad school with a TESU degree? CM1999 5 3,228 07-09-2017, 04:15 AM