Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre reqs
I need to take an American Government & World History course for my pre reqs to get into WGU teaching program. What other online courses are there besides StraighterLine? If you did SL how was it?
If found American Government to be very easy and fast with SL, probably because I already had an idea of the material. If you feel that you know the material (like what branch of the government does what), then taking the CLEP would save you some time.
TESU BA in Criminal Justice, 2018
TRCC Emergency Management Certificate, 2018
Does WGU specifically take SL or clep or just any ACE credits? When I asked them about specific courses they said I had to apply before they could tell me which credits would work where. The admissions counselor that kept calling and calling made it seem like taking them at WGU might be necessary. I get it that they want you to apply first but I think I needed four or so courses and I knew I wasnt going to start for a year. I figured it would be nice to take my time and work on those during the year without applying. I just never could get a straight answer. It would be good to hear from those who definitely have had courses transfer in and where they came from.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
(01-19-2018, 10:19 AM)Joeman200 Wrote: If found American Government to be very easy and fast with SL, probably because I already had an idea of the material.   If you feel that you know the material (like what branch of the government does what), then taking the CLEP would save you some time.

In 2002 when I took it CLEP American Government it had a 15% Pass Rate. Angry
In 2017 it's up to a 42% pass rate so it has changed. Dodgy
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(01-21-2018, 11:46 PM)rlw74 Wrote: Does WGU specifically take SL or clep or just any ACE credits? When I asked them about specific courses they said I had to apply before they could tell me which credits would work where. The admissions counselor that kept calling and calling made it seem like taking them at WGU might be necessary. I get it that they want you to apply first but I think I needed four or so courses and I knew I wasnt going to start for a year. I figured it would be nice to take my time and work on those during the year without applying. I just never could get a straight answer. It would be good to hear from those who definitely have had courses transfer in and where they came from.

Yes they work with SL and ask for a new enrollment counselor. I don’t have all my transcripts sent over yet but I know which courses I needed and they waived my $69 enrollment fee so I just enrolled but am doing the pre reqs now and they have transferred to WGU. I’d apply there and ask what pre reqs you need. If you take more than four courses at straighterline you can qualify for a WGU scholarship
(02-04-2018, 12:12 AM)coefam Wrote:
(01-21-2018, 11:46 PM)rlw74 Wrote: Does WGU specifically take SL or  clep or just any ACE credits? When I asked them about specific courses they said I had to apply before they could tell me which credits would work where. The admissions counselor that kept calling and calling made it seem like taking them at WGU might be necessary. I get it that they want you to apply first but I think I needed four or so courses and I knew I wasnt going to start for a year. I figured it would be nice to take my time and work on those during the year without applying. I just never could get a straight answer. It would be good to hear from those who definitely have had courses transfer in and where they came from.

Yes they work with SL and ask for a new enrollment counselor. I don’t have all my transcripts sent over yet but I know which courses I needed and they waived my $69 enrollment fee so I just enrolled but am doing the pre reqs now and they have transferred to WGU. I’d apply there and ask what pre reqs you need. If you take more than four courses at straighterline you can qualify for a WGU scholarship

WGU specifically says they will not accept any transfer credits AFTER you enroll.  You'd better make sure they will take your courses, and give you the SL discount.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-04-2018, 02:01 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-04-2018, 12:12 AM)coefam Wrote:
(01-21-2018, 11:46 PM)rlw74 Wrote: Does WGU specifically take SL or  clep or just any ACE credits? When I asked them about specific courses they said I had to apply before they could tell me which credits would work where. The admissions counselor that kept calling and calling made it seem like taking them at WGU might be necessary. I get it that they want you to apply first but I think I needed four or so courses and I knew I wasnt going to start for a year. I figured it would be nice to take my time and work on those during the year without applying. I just never could get a straight answer. It would be good to hear from those who definitely have had courses transfer in and where they came from.

WGU specifically says they will not accept any transfer credits AFTER you enroll.  You'd better make sure they will take your courses, and give you the SL discount.

I am still in the admitting process since not all my old transcripts have come over. so I haven’t enrolled in any of the WGU courses yet because I have pre reqs and haven’t been admitted to WGU besides paying the enrollment fee and given an enrollment counselor. I’ve already transferred two courses from SL over the last few days and my counselor said they received them. I’m not sure what you mean.
She means you can transfer courses until you are officially enrolled. Once you are officially enrolled, not just in the admittance phase, then they will no longer accept transcripts from other sources. There's no enrollment fee, you're talking about the application fee.

The only thing you'd pay once enrolled is tuition, and program/resource fees.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I was told the same thing too. Once officially "enrolled" you can't transfer anything in (which was partially my initial frustration because they kept pushing me to apply even though my degree hadn't conferred yet and they wouldn't tell me what I could take and transfer after the degree had conferred). I plan to revisit a degree with them. It turns out the history teaching degree I was interested in is no longer being offered so I might not need anything additional if I opt for one of the other educational routes. I'll probably just chance it and take SL if there are any prereqs and see what they say.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
Thanks for the heads up. I guess that means I shouldn’t enroll or do anything until all my other transcripts are sent over. That’s kind of stupid that you can’t send courses over you completed before hand.