Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com General Questions
Sorry for being such a newb to these alternative credit options. Like I said in another post, I got my BA a few years ago before study.com, shmoop, and etc. I pretty much just used my community college credits, CLEPs, and a couple Straighterlines.

Can y'all chime in about Study.com?

Tests proctored? Difficult? Need to buy books?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I'm currently getting ready to take the Microecon final there, it is WAY easier than the SL Microecon course I tried to do (which was SO long as well).

The test is proctored by ProctorNow, so you can take immediately rather than having to do 3 days notice like ProctorU. No need to buy books, it's video-based (although you can read the transcripts instead, that's what I did).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You can see the courses I took in my sig. None of them were very difficult.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

there's no books. its webcam proctored in the sense that your session is recorded but you dont have to interact with anyone to do the tests. i've tried sophia, straighterline, FEMA, Study.com, Shmoop, etc and out of all of those Study.com is my preferred source for credits

if you haven't tried it yet, Study.com has an app, and that alone makes it twice as good as anywhere else. It doesn't seem like much but you will get so much more done with the app, believe me. any down time you have, grocery store lines, bank lines, toilet time, waiting for your wife to get dressed, etc, you can knock out a quiz or two and it will accumulate much faster than any of the others

Shmoop isn't proctored at all and transfers your credits to ACE lightning fast, plus its cheaper but other than that I think Study.com beats out anywhere else in anything that they both offer. I've completed something like 13 courses from Study.com and plan to do another 10 or 12
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Courses have chapters, and lessons within each chapter. So, maybe 12 chapters with 10 lessons per, so 120 lessons. You watch a video of each lesson, or read the transcript. At the end of each lesson you take a quick quiz, maybe 5 multiple choice questions. You might get 4 of 5 right. You can move on, or take again and try to get 5 of 5 right. You want to get 100% on all your quizzes, because they are good prep for the final, plus they make up a good chunk of your grade. Some classes have assignments as well. You do those and submit them before taking the final. No class I have completed had assignments, but a couple of the ones I just recently started do.

Quizzes might account for 1/3 of your grade, assignments 1/3, and final 1/3. Depends on the class. Study.com is my favorite format.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
It's a super easy, almost no-fail system IMO. If you get all the points you need from the quizzes (and it's not hard to do) all you need is a 55% on the final. It really takes the pressure off when you get to the actual exam.

The app is wonderful. You can take it anywhere.

It's nice to be able to go back and forth between transcripts or videos.

You can speed up the videos to listen to them faster. I almost couldn't go back to listening to them in real time because I got so used to the speed lectures.

The material is very repetitive. I know this can drive some people crazy but it really makes it stick. You'll get questions that are word-for-word from the videos.

The quizzes and practice final are really helpful. The actual exams are really similar. Nothing tricky or unexpected.

I loved study even though I did get burnt out. I think I once calculated that I took over 1100 quizzes in three months. But by far, it was my favorite alternative credit provider.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes rlw74's post:
  • Yenisei
How did it compare to StraighterLine where you don’t have to pass the exam final if the rest of your work is in a good grade standing. Is study’s final really hard or is ther study guides
study.com's finals are taken straight from the quizzes, so if you did the quizzes you're fine
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • Yenisei
(01-20-2018, 09:57 AM)coefam Wrote: How did it compare to StraighterLine where you don’t have to pass the exam final if the rest of your work is in a good grade standing. Is study’s final really hard or is ther study guides

You still have to pass the final for Study.com courses; however, the passing grade is determined by how you do on the rest of the course (quizzes, and the final project(s) as applicable). Even without a membership, you can still see the course syllabus and scoring breakdown on the "home page" for the course in question.

(01-20-2018, 10:08 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: study.com's finals are taken straight from the quizzes, so if you did the quizzes you're fine

If you mean that the content is the same, yes... they are pretty good about not throwing curve balls on the final. However, I found very few duplicate questions. One thing they seemed to like to do was use "mirrored" questions on the final and quizzes. For instance, a quiz question might be "which of the following is an example of X" but a similar question on the final might be "Which of the following is NOT an example of X."
Agreed. I don't recall seeing any duplicate questions in the three courses I took through them, but the content was similar and the "mirrored" description is reflects my experience as well.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,322 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,478 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,677 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 601 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,811 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 682 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM