Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU CS catalog change
I just noticed that the requirements for a BA in computer science have changed quite a bit. No more linear algebra, but discrete math. 18 electives in CS (not including the capstone). Also, operating systems and computer architecture. This degree just got a lot more expensive to test out of, didn't it?

When did this happen???
Looks like it happened fairly recently. Discrete Math was always an option instead of Linear Algebra, looks like they just removed Linear Algebra as an option. They also removed Calc II.

This was always a more expensive degree to test out of, because there weren't a ton of UL options. Operating Systems and Computer Architecture can be found at other schools, but not cheaply. Sometimes with this degree, your best option is to do the Comprehensive Tuition plan ($6350 for 36cr in a single year with the Study.com discount). Otherwise, it's about $1000 per course for Data Structures and Computer Architecture, and ~$800 for Operating Systems and Discrete Math (from what I have).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Davewill, do you have any thoughts on this? Do the total required courses more accurately reflect a CS degree from other schools and makes this degree more marketable for graduate studies? I guess I am bummed to not have locked in a catalog, but should be happy that the math requirements got easier.
(01-20-2018, 07:55 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: .. Do the total required courses more accurately reflect a CS degree from other schools ..

3 public colleges which are part of the CUNY system (City University of New York) 

Hunter College -- BA 
http://catalog.hunter.cuny.edu/preview_p...urnto=1728

Lehman College -- BA 
http://lehman.smartcatalogiq.com/en/2017...edit-Major

York College -- BS
https://www.york.cuny.edu/produce-and-pr...science-bs
I think it's a step in the right direction, at least from a CS course perspective. Linear algebra and Calc 2&3 would usually be on the menu as would an algorithms course. However requiring computer architecture and operating systems is a step up.

The fact is that most employers won't look at the requirements and will just assume that certain things are in there.

I figure on making a new spreadsheet once I get a chance.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thanks. I guess those things should be known by someone with a CS degree, so might as well make them requirements...
(01-19-2018, 06:23 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: I just noticed that the requirements for a BA in computer science have changed quite a bit. No more linear algebra, but discrete math. 18 electives in CS (not including the capstone). Also, operating systems and computer architecture. This degree just got a lot more expensive to test out of, didn't it?

When did this happen???

I also noticed that they changed the intro to computer science course to "Introduction to Programming". Looking at the course catalog, I believe they are referencing ITS-150 Computer Programming 1, which is in the course catalog under the Cybersecurity section. The syllabus states the course is used as preparation for the Java SE7 Programmer 1 certification. I'm not sure what test out options there may be for this course but it is one of the required ones.
I wonder if any introductory programming course would work for that, I.e. SL C++. I am just speculating though.
(01-22-2018, 05:48 PM)Sapientes Wrote: I also noticed that they changed the intro to computer science course to "Introduction to Programming". Looking at the course catalog, I believe they are referencing ITS-150 Computer Programming 1, which is in the course catalog under the Cybersecurity section. The syllabus states the course is used as preparation for the Java SE7 Programmer 1 certification. I'm not sure what test out options there may be for this course but it is one of the required ones.

http://www.excelsior.edu/exams/introduct...using-java
SL C++ or the linked UExcel would probably work for that Intro Programming. Or many community colleges have one.

Discrete Math isn't really harder or more expensive than Linear Algebra.

I think Operating Systems was almost like a requirement before. You had other course to choose from but most of the others were a lot harder to find. I had gone down the list of the options, looking for online courses. Computer Architecture is also one of the few I could find, because some of the others seemed pretty advanced (there were Comp Sci majors and graduates saying it was the hardest class they ever took, or they barely passed - to clarify I am not talking about Comp Architecture, I mean some of the other options which I chose to avoid). So personally, I was already going to take these (and Discrete Math) before they became requirements.

The scary part is if they downgrade some courses from UL.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,103 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,639 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,730 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,342 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,590 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,374 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore