Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 year vs 2 year masters
I did a little googling and apparently some schools make a distinction between choosing a 1 year course of study vs 2 year, with the 1 year having accelerated classes. I saw nothing to indicate the requirements were different, though. It might be difficult to do a research oriented master's with thesis in only one year.

I see no reason for an employer to care which you did, though.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
As much as we know that there is not a 1 vs 2 year Master Degree, there are plenty of Google results that show descriptions of a 1 vs 2-year program. The job listing description should not be 1 vs 2-year degree and instead be a 1 vs 2-year program -  just trying to give the HR team a pass through creative reasoning Smile

Felix Wong would not even make it in the building @jsd!! Wink
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
Sorry

I was busy when I posted.

It's the state of tennessee...

Here's a blurb from the first one I saw:

"*1. Which best describes your level of education?

(Note: If you are within 120 days of graduating, excluding high school, please select your pending degree.) 
Did not graduate from High School or obtain GED
High School or GED
 Some College
 Associates Degree
 Bachelors Degree
 1 Year Masters Degree
 2 Year Masters Degree
Doctorate Degree

*2. How many UNDERGRADUATE quarter hours from an accredited college or university have you completed?

(Note: To convert semester hours to quarter hours, multiply the number of semester hours you have completed by 1.5)   
 Not applicable
 1-44 quarter hours
 45-89 quarter hours
 90-134 quarter hours
 135-179 quarter hours
 180 quarter hours or more
*3. Have you completed at least 30 semester hours of accounting coursework from an accredited college or university?

(Note: To convert sem -"

Here's a link, dunno if it will work:

https://agency.governmentjobs.com//tenne...t2KEj.dpuf
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

So it's to work for the State of Tennessee, not the entirety of companies in the state that have this as a requirement. Gotcha!

Still think it's weird!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
No offense to anyone, but HR often doesn't know what it's doing when putting together job ads, and management is just as clueless.

I've seen ads asking for degrees from nationally accredited schools. So, they're going to hire someone who graduated from Columbia Southern and not Columbia? Okay.

The federal government kept posting a position that required a masters in counseling or psychology that is accredited by CACREP or APA. APA doesn't accredit masters degrees, and CACREP doesn't accredit psychology programs, so there's no point in mentioning psychology and APA.

I don't know if this is still the case, but Bexar County wouldn't give educational incentive pay for "internet degrees." What they're basically saying is that someone who earned an online degree at Texas A&M, one of the best universities in the state, wouldn't qualify for educational incentive pay, but someone who attended University of Phoenix, Devry, or Strayer on ground would. And, that's if they could even tell if the Texas A&M degree is an "internet degree."
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I would just select highest degree listed (that you have) and move on. Who knows what they want but a masters is usually 2 years so no need to differentiate - just click on 2 years. In an interview they can always ask. It's a stupid question. You either have a masters or you don't. Doesn't matter how long it took.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes rlw74's post:
  • cookderosa
Full-time for a graduate program is 18 credits per year if you don't attend during the summer.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I guess it depends on how many credits the programs require. I've seen a few advertise their programs as two years, full-time. Nations lists their MTS as two years. A lot of schools say students "average" two years. I guess I assumed most were two year degrees based on the programs I've looked at. But regardless, it could take 4 months or more than 2 years depending on how much time the student can put in. There isn't technically a 1 year or 2 year masters degree.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
I also like that they want you to convert from semester hours to quarter hours.... lol

My husband's masters will have taken 3 years. I'm with rlw74, click the highest and move forward.
(01-22-2018, 02:47 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I also like that they want you to convert from semester hours to quarter hours.... lol

My husband's masters will have taken 3 years.  I'm with rlw74, click the highest and move forward.

Even funnier, the next question then asks if you have completed 30 semester hours of accounting...
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 701 Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 454 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,621 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 650 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 365 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,226 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,118 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,820 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 582 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,782 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7