Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roadmap Refinement Help? TESU BALS
(01-21-2018, 01:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, apply for the Study.com membership, although wait until you're ready to start.  It's timed, meaning you have to start right away because it's 2 courses a month for 3 months.  If you're not ready to start right away, you have to rearrange your plans.  But don't wait too long either, you need to know if you get it and need to start taking courses fairly quickly.

Continue with Modern States since it's working for you.  Take every CLEP you possibly can.  I revised your spreadsheet showing what you can do with MS (I added Psych, Educational psych, & Info Systems since it's fairly easy), and highlighted everything in yellow.

For Shmoop, I just added it all in purple below - UL Humanities, LL Humanities, and LL SocSci courses.  I would suggest going with as many UL courses there as you can do.

If you get the Study.com scholarship, let us know, and we can tell you what courses to take through them.

And if money is fairly tight, I think UExcel is the more expensive choice.  Not only are the exams $110, but there is a testing center fee of $50-$60.  If you want study materials, theres added expense too.  You have too many inexpensive options to go with UExcel.

Will do. Hopefully I'll hear something back about my Guardian scholarship application this coming week. As for the Psych CLEP, wouldn't this cause a problem being a duplicate of the Introduction to Psychology Saylor course I have? The A&I Literature CLEP is also duplicated between the Info Literacy and Humanities concentration sections.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
MSK9 Wrote:BJ,

I do. Modern States has been an excellent tool and as soon as I take the Social Sciences and History CLEP on Thursday, I'll be moving on to the next CLEP with them. Not only do they pay for my CLEP cost, they also provide reimbursement for the testing center fee. I received my first reimbursement check yesterday which also had a letter from the Founder / CEO with a hand-written message of encouragement for me.

As to the grad program, I'm preparing myself for the MCAT and medical school. Once I complete my undergrad, I'll be taking science pre-reqs through the University of New England Online, a school who's coursework is accepted at many medical schools. I've got math and chemistry tutors and physician and veterinarian mentors to help me along.

My study time everyday depends. I have a fairly specialized position and am subject to call-outs 24/7 but I also have access to a computer and internet all day. Most evenings, I have about four to six hours of study time and almost all of my weekends are devoted to study / coursework. As far as my studying for CLEPS, I tend to study for about a week, listening to the lectures. I have a bad habit of not reading much from the provided e-books but I'm starting this weekend. Thankfully, I've passed two CLEPS this way.

Ah, I see. That's great! davewill & dfrecore has pretty much answered everything and mentioned exactly what I wanted to say, anyway... It's hard to get into Med/Vet school, good luck and press forward. BTW, you mentioned you're wanting to get a BALS Humanities, the UL Shmoop courses in dfrecore's spreadsheet are all you need, if you're missing a course, the Saylor Corporate Communications or Study.com Communications course should work. For some strange reason, if you wanted a BALS no concentration it would be different, just a few UL courses you needed.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • MSK9
Quote:Ah, I see.  That's great!  davewill & dfrecore has pretty much answered everything and mentioned exactly what I wanted to say, anyway... It's hard to get into Med/Vet school, good luck and press forward.   BTW, you mentioned you're wanting to get a BALS Humanities, the UL Shmoop courses in dfrecore's spreadsheet are all you need, if you're missing a course, the Saylor Corporate Communications or Study.com Communications course should work.  For some strange reason, if you wanted a BALS no concentration it would be different, just a few UL courses you needed.

Thank you, BJ.

Human medicine is where I want to go. My veterinarian friend's undergrad is in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, so she has the science background to help me. I don't have a preference as to an MD or DO school, as long as I can get into one of the two. I've been told that non-traditional candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. One of the biggest things for me will be scoring decently on the MCAT but I've got a strategy.
(01-21-2018, 03:17 PM)MSK9 Wrote: Will do. Hopefully I'll hear something back about my Guardian scholarship application this coming week. As for the Psych CLEP, wouldn't this cause a problem being a duplicate of the Introduction to Psychology Saylor course I have? The A&I Literature CLEP is also duplicated between the Info Literacy and Humanities concentration sections.

Sorry, I didn't realize you'd taken the Saylor Psych course (which is only 2cr by the way).  If you haven't taken it yet, you should switch to CLEP for the full credit and free.

The A&I Lit course is worth 6cr, so I put the 1st 3 in Info Lit and the 2nd 3 in the AOS.  That's what TESU will do as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • MSK9
No worries. I didn't catch the split with A&I credits. I actually have already taken the Saylor course but am not necessarily opposed to CLEP'ing it.
(01-21-2018, 05:44 PM)MSK9 Wrote: No worries. I didn't catch the split with A&I credits. I actually have already taken the Saylor course but am not necessarily opposed to CLEP'ing it.

No, not worth it.  But yes, they do duplicate, so don't take the CLEP.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
So, I bit the bullet and bought a Shmoop membership.

@dfrecore - I checked the UL classes you listed for me in that road map and discovered that ACE recommends them all as LL classes. Maybe I'm missing the plot somewhere here. If nothing else, I can either cancel my trial membership or I can use Shmoop to fill in the other courses I need.
ACE lists them as LL but we have many many folks here who have documented the UL course equivalencies. So until we hear otherwise we are going with those being UL.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
[-] The following 1 user Likes originalamyj's post:
  • MSK9
(01-24-2018, 09:24 PM)originalamyj Wrote: ACE lists them as LL but we have many many folks here who have documented the UL course equivalencies. So until we hear otherwise we are going with those being UL.

Can anyone who's used them confirm this? Not that I don't believe you, @originalamyj; would just make me feel a little more secure about spending time on those courses.
In the past TESU has awarded UL for the ones dfrecore mentioned. This is absolutely true. However, as of 1/1 TESU has downgraded some Study.com courses to LL that they used to accept as UL. Due to that, there is speculation that TESU is downgrading other providers as well, but we don't know this to be true. It's speculation until someone completes those courses this year and then sends them over.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • MSK9

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,982 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,662 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,109 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,645 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,734 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,348 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,596 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,326 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,379 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,861 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore