Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to press through Straighterline Courses?
Hey folks! I have to say the idea of Shmoop was silly at first and I didn't really like the courses. That being said - the content was laid out better and the system works better than SL.

I need to complete General Chemistry + Lab, Cultural Anth, English Comp 2, Algebra 1, and I am having a heck of a time. I don't know if it's the robotic layout through Moodle, or what. I can't seem to sit down and focus on the courses enough to complete chapters or assignments. SL just renewed for a second month and I haven't completed any courses, whereas I passed 4 Shmoop with no problem within 9 days.

SL has courses that UNM will accept, but they are balking at Shmoop. So I am looking to finish the accepted credits as soon as possible. 

Any thoughts, tips, or tricks?

Thanks!! Heart
I thought SL was tortuously slow, and I had an easier time with Study.com. Not sure why, as I didn't watch a single Study.com video so far, all reading the text. I just felt like I could get through it more easily.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I wish I could switch but I've already bought all 4 courses and 2 months of membership. So I've kind of invested into it financially now.
I didn't "get through" SL courses. I just did the quizzes I needed to do. That's what I loved about SL. I wasn't made to sit through torturous videos or read a bunch of boring text before attempting a quiz, and I didn't have 100 quizzes to complete.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(01-20-2018, 09:54 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: Hey folks! I have to say the idea of Shmoop was silly at first and I didn't really like the courses. That being said - the content was laid out better and the system works better than SL.

I need to complete General Chemistry + Lab, Cultural Anth, English Comp 2, Algebra 1, and I am having a heck of a time. I don't know if it's the robotic layout through Moodle, or what. I can't seem to sit down and focus on the courses enough to complete chapters or assignments. SL just renewed for a second month and I haven't completed any courses, whereas I passed 4 Shmoop with no problem within 9 days.

SL has courses that UNM will accept, but they are balking at Shmoop. So I am looking to finish the accepted credits as soon as possible. 

Any thoughts, tips, or tricks?

Thanks!! Heart

+1 what Sanantone said. But in all fairness, besides Cultural Anthropology, you picked some really hard SL courses. Chemistry is a bear, my son did high school chemistry with lab followed immediately by SL Chemistry without lab and barely passed. Out of 20 SL courses, it was his lowest score at 70% (they rounded up, I think it was actually 69.something) English comp is soooo muuuucccchhhh writing on SL and I haven't any idea about Algebra. But Anthro can be done in a weekend- go back in and just do the tests. They are OPEN BOOK.
What I love about this forum mix and our credit resource mix is that we always have a balance of allegiance to a school, degree or credit resource and usually a strong one. I would rank StraighterLine as easily my favorite credit option with one of the reasons being how the course was laid out. Study.com was solid as well but I did not care for the two course a month + $70 per additional course layout. Saylor may have been my least favorite on structure but easily my favorite on price - $25 for 3 credits still blows me away. Both my daughters knocked out all of their favorite courses in the beginning and it was pennies on the dollar compared to any other option.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
(01-20-2018, 11:41 PM)sanantone Wrote: I didn't "get through" SL courses. I just did the quizzes I needed to do. That's what I loved about SL. I wasn't made to sit through torturous videos or read a bunch of boring text before attempting a quiz, and I didn't have 100 quizzes to complete.

I totally get it - but Microecon through SL was easily the worst thing I've attempted.  24 quizzes plus a midterm and Final!  I just could not do it (it didn't help that I hate econ, this course is my nemesis).  And the SL material was SO damn difficult for me, which way the graphs move, very detailed stuff that I will NEVER in my life use.  Ugh.  I switched to Study.com and got through it SO much more easily.  I just felt like I was making progress that I did not feel with SL.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-21-2018, 12:49 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-20-2018, 11:41 PM)sanantone Wrote: I didn't "get through" SL courses. I just did the quizzes I needed to do. That's what I loved about SL. I wasn't made to sit through torturous videos or read a bunch of boring text before attempting a quiz, and I didn't have 100 quizzes to complete.

I totally get it - but Microecon through SL was easily the worst thing I've attempted.  24 quizzes plus a midterm and Final!  I just could not do it (it didn't help that I hate econ, this course is my nemesis).  And the SL material was SO damn difficult for me, which way the graphs move, very detailed stuff that I will NEVER in my life use.  Ugh.  I switched to Study.com and got through it SO much more easily.  I just felt like I was making progress that I did not feel with SL.

I prefer exams over courses, so SL was sort of a last resort for me. I took the TECEP for microeconomics because it counted toward the residency requirement at the time. Otherwise, I would have taken the CLEP. I used Davar for macro because it was only one test; I could not make myself finish the Sophia course. I just don't like being made to go through study materials I don't need, but I understand that many others don't like high-stakes testing.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Cheeseburrito
(01-21-2018, 05:49 AM)sanantone Wrote: I prefer exams over courses, so SL was sort of a last resort for me. I took the TECEP for microeconomics because it counted toward the residency requirement at the time. Otherwise, I would have taken the CLEP. I used Davar for macro because it was only one test; I could not make myself finish the Sophia course. I just don't like being made to go through study materials I don't need, but I understand that many others don't like high-stakes testing.

I prefer exams for some things (the ones I think I can pass) and courses for others.  The only exams I've taken, I've passed them all, mostly without studying.  The only thing I failed was the Strategic Management TECEP by 1%, which was a mighty expensive and time-consuming failure ($1500 to take the course and a 20-page paper to finish).
Today is a new day. I am going to log in, pick a course, and make some progress.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • StoicJ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,395 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 956 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 703 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 528 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 180 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,023 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,881 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 339 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 336 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,038 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat