Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan for TESU Assoc/Bachelors Please any help appreciated.
Hello I have worked for years with no degree but now I want to make a career change. The new route I want to go on requires a degree.  The degree truly doesn't matter but I have to have that piece of paper.  I pick up on Sociology/Psychology/Communications faster than a Math or Science.  If liberal Arts is the easiest and I can wrap it in my stronger areas that's what I will do.  I applied to TESU immediately before going further into the forum regarding taking tests first etc.  My job will pay for the required TESU class.  So after a little background on me and my learning style I would love some help.  I'm thinking of breaking it up into associates and bachelor's is best.  I'm on a time clock and I don't want to walk away without either (Assoc or Bachelor's).  I have Public Speaking from 1999, Sociology 2009, Health and fitness course?? (Empire state 2009) and I believe College Algebra 1999.  I will retake if I'm wrong on the Algebra.  The other classes are correct.
1.  which is the best and fastest associate and bachelors based on my learning style?
2.  Can anyone link an updated degree plan after all the  2018 changes?  (This is a bit overwhelming as I'm on a slight time crunch of 1.5 years while working full time)
3.  I read you want to submit Schmoops courses ASAP.  Should I cram those than submit an ACE transcript? On the TESU site unless I was looking at the wrong thing it only showed like 2 ACE courses accepted.  Are all Schmoops accepted by TESU?  How many can I take with the most basic degree?
4.  Has anyone on here been a full time worker and finished this in a good accelerated time?  If so just trying to manage my time how many hours were you putting in a day etc and how much time between tests?  
Thank You so much!  I want to get started but it's a lot of info that can be a bit overwhelming and I'm not as young as I used to be lol!

I forgot to mention I'd prefer Communications, Liberal Studies or Sociology if they are a quick learn
The Liberal Studies degree at TESU will be your best bet at that school.  Fastest and cheapest.  Not sure about COSC or EC.

You have ORAL COMM, QUANT LIT, and DIVERSITY areas completed.  The Health & Fitness course will be a Free Elective.

TESU will take 117 credits from other sources, so you're fine using the providers you hear about on this forum to take everything.  If you sign up for Study.com and take at least 1 course (2 are included in the $199 price), then you can change your enrollment to the Study.com affiliate membership, and save time and money.

Psych & Comm courses are pretty easy to find, you can take a bunch of those for the Area of Study (major), Gen Ed, and Free Electives.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BALS.xlsx (Size: 43.51 KB / Downloads: 6)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-21-2018, 01:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The Liberal Studies degree at TESU will be your best bet at that school.  Fastest and cheapest.  Not sure about COSC or EC.

You have ORAL COMM, QUANT LIT, and DIVERSITY areas completed.  The Health & Fitness course will be a Free Elective.

TESU will take 117 credits from other sources, so you're fine using the providers you hear about on this forum to take everything.  If you sign up for Study.com and take at least 1 course (2 are included in the $199 price), then you can change your enrollment to the Study.com affiliate membership, and save time and money.

Psych & Comm courses are pretty easy to find, you can take a bunch of those for the Area of Study (major), Gen Ed, and Free Electives.

Thank You so much!  one question about Shmoop.   I was read somewhere to take those first  ( I guess maybe rules change a lot with them) After I take those courses should I then submit a transcript to make sure it's approved?  I also read it's best get the first 90 credits before you go and get evaluated.  Maybe you can give me your opinion.
(01-21-2018, 01:13 PM)nunyabiz Wrote: Thank You so much!  one question about Shmoop.   I was read somewhere to take those first  ( I guess maybe rules change a lot with them) After I take those courses should I then submit a transcript to make sure it's approved?  I also read it's best get the first 90 credits before you go and get evaluated.  Maybe you can give me your opinion.

TESU recently downgraded several courses at study.com from UL to LL and that made some people nervous about other providers, but there's been no indications that anything is going to happen, nor any reason to worry about Shmoop in particular. If there are courses you are really counting on, it's always a good idea to get advising to plan them into your eval, that way you have something to use to push back if they were to try to change their minds later.

However there is no reason at all to prioritize anything in particular except maybe the capstone so you can get the great Study.com discount before it changes June 30.

I'm always a proponent of applying to TESU sooner rather than later. Tomorrow would be a good time.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Just an FYI, TESU requires that you pay a Residency Waiver of $1800-$2500, I'm hoping your company will pay for that as well. If they won't, and you can't afford that, then you might want to look at EC or COSC, or even Patten.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-21-2018, 05:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just an FYI, TESU requires that you pay a Residency Waiver of $1800-$2500, I'm hoping your company will pay for that as well.  If they won't, and you can't afford that, then you might want to look at EC or COSC, or even Patten.

I was just looking into this..Do you pay this as soon as you enroll? I already applied and got accepted to the school. I doubt my employer would cover this. If I'm understanding correctly you are paying for not enrolling in semester courses just per credit and not from New Jersey? I will pay it if I have to just wanted to know when I have to fork it over.  I cant find that on the TESU site.
(01-21-2018, 05:59 PM)nunyabiz Wrote:
(01-21-2018, 05:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just an FYI, TESU requires that you pay a Residency Waiver of $1800-$2500, I'm hoping your company will pay for that as well.  If they won't, and you can't afford that, then you might want to look at EC or COSC, or even Patten.

I was just looking into this..Do you pay this as soon as you enroll? I already applied and got accepted to the school. I doubt my employer would cover this. If I'm understanding correctly you are paying for not enrolling in semester courses just per credit and not from New Jersey? I will pay it if I have to just wanted to know when I have to fork it over.  I cant find that on the TESU site.

You pay it when you're ready to apply for graduation.  And yes, it's in lieu of taking 16cr at the school.  Still a better deal than most schools, but not cheap.

Does your employer pay for regular college courses? You could actually take 16 credits if that's what they will pay for... Or point out to HR the economics of paying the residency waiver instead.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-21-2018, 09:09 PM)davewill Wrote:

Does your employer pay for regular college courses? You could actually take 16 credits if that's what they will pay for... Or point out to HR the economics of paying the residency waiver instead.
Yes they do.  I have to calculate in the time factor in sitting through a  semester of courses.  I would like to complete this in 1.5 yrs.  That's a great idea Thank You.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 587 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 268 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 616 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,577 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,748 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 501 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 285 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 851 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,236 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM