Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Texas A&M ACE/Study.com not accepted for Masters work
Good Afternoon,

I am posting this here because it relates to study.com but it is in regards to graduate work as well. I am going to post it in the Graduate School Discussion as well.  I apologize in advance if this is a no-no, but I want people to be aware of this.

I just received official notice that I will graduate from TESU with a BSBA on 9/14!  Smile 

My plan is to do a Masters next.  I am leaning towards Finance instead of the MBA.

For this reason, I am considering West Texas A&M Master in Finance and Economics for the following reasons:
Accredited
Inexpensive
"The program earned a 2018 #18 ranking as a best graduate business program by U.S. News & World Report.­"

I read the following on the website:
Receive Your Personalized Plan of Study: Please send a copy of your current resume and your unofficial transcripts today to receive your personalized Plan of Study.

So, I did this.  Long-story short...They will not accept the study.com (ACE) for Finance, Stats and Accounting.  I will have to take 3 "Leveling courses" prior to being able to move fully into the masters program.

I asked if their are exceptions.  One of my professional designations, CIMA, was taught by Wharton professors and I have 20+ years in Financial Services.  No luck.

I am sharing this because I completed almost 100% of my non-B&M courses at study.com.  I didn't think this would be an issue, but apparently it can be.

Right now I am feeling a little salty about it but I guess this is the price that will have to be paid. 15 courses instead of 12 isn't the end of the world, but it bothers me, plus it will take longer.  This program is not competency based like a WGU, so it will cost me time.

Gloddy
TESU BSBA in Finance (9/14/2018) - Thanks to this Community!
Professional Designations: CIMA®, CFP®, ChFC®
Professional Registrations: FINRA Series 7, 63 & 65

Still Need:
N/A

Completed Courses: Study.com ENG104, POS102, BUS109, COM101, HIS103, NUT101, ENG105, BUS108, COMP102, HIS108, HIS106, PSY103, HIS104, STA101, LAW201, ACC101, ACC102, FIN101, COM120, BUS101, BUS102, BUS308, ECO101, BUS113; ALEKS College Algebra

B&M Schools
: Penn State (93’), Bucks County CC (94’-95’), LaSalle Univ. (02’-03’), The American College of Financial Services (16'-17'), TESU (18')
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gloddy's post:
  • greencouch
Can you take those 3 courses at a CC (maybe Rio if not a local one) online for cheap and a quick pace instead?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(08-07-2018, 04:37 PM)jsd Wrote: Can you take those 3 courses at a CC (maybe Rio if not a local one) online for cheap and a quick pace instead?

Perhaps.  The cost is not that bad it really is the time.  Nothing like just completing the 3 courses this year only to have to take them again.

Still Need:
N/A

Completed Courses: Study.com ENG104, POS102, BUS109, COM101, HIS103, NUT101, ENG105, BUS108, COMP102, HIS108, HIS106, PSY103, HIS104, STA101, LAW201, ACC101, ACC102, FIN101, COM120, BUS101, BUS102, BUS308, ECO101, BUS113; ALEKS College Algebra

B&M Schools
: Penn State (93’), Bucks County CC (94’-95’), LaSalle Univ. (02’-03’), The American College of Financial Services (16'-17'), TESU (18')
Are you adamant in going for that Finance degree? Have you investigated the MBA program as well? Someone on this board is taking the MBA program and I didn't read that they had any issues, they may not have taken those exact courses from Study.com though: See here - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid261151
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
(08-07-2018, 06:42 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: Are you adamant in going for that Finance degree? Have you investigated the MBA program as well?  Someone on this board is taking the MBA program and I didn't read that they had any issues, they may not have taken those exact courses from Study.com though:  See here - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid261151

Thanks for the response. Maybe Kaskadia will see this and add some light.

Of course I am now second guessing my decision.  3 extra classes isnt't the end of the world but I am 45 and time is not on my side at least professionally.  Now I can't help but to reconsider the MBA, especially through WGU. My only challenge to this is the program is un-ranked (I don't care, but people on the east coast in Financial Services do) and I would prefer to get a masters in Finance.

To put it into perspective, I have a client who earned their PHD from Texas A&M in the 80's. When I mentioned this program, the response was "it's online though, right?".  The client wasn't being pretentious or condescending, more like, why bother?

I always appreciate the views here, so if you are reading this, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks
Gloddy

Still Need:
N/A

B&M Schools
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gloddy's post:
  • Kaskadian
Hmm, I have a recommendation or suggestion: Since you already applied to the West Texas A&M school of business, ask to get a plan of study for the MBA program, see how the courses pan out.

If they for some reason ACCEPT those Study.com courses, then, ask them nicely why it was rejected for the Finance program. If they do not provide you an answer that is acceptable, then move up the chain to the Dean and ask for an exception. If they don't accept those Study.com courses, I would hazard a risk in asking for the Dean to see if there is a chance to "reconsider" those and have an exception added.

Basically, you want to stress to them, these courses were "evaluated" as equivalent to TESU's courses. Ask if they would accept it directly from TESU, if so - why would an equivalent course be rejected? Re-state that your degree is from TESU and you have all the required courses to graduate from TESU without a need to take any additional courses. Illustrate to them that you have all the prerequisites for entry into the program without needing to "bridge" as your BSBA is in Finance.
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
[-] The following 2 users Like Lewis.Yim's post:
  • Gloddy, greencouch
Thanks. That is a good idea but I feel with so many options, I should just move on.

I live in the Philadelphia area. Maybe I am just better off with a West Chester University MBA at $17k or even a Penn State Master of Finance.  Maybe I just take the 3 darn courses and move on with my life.

Thank You for your thoughts.  I do appreciate them.

Still Need:
N/A

B&M Schools
My reply from the other post:

Many schools want specific courses to be graded, so they won't take alternate credit for those. They will accept your degree, but want grades for those courses. It's a bummer, and if you would have known that you wanted to go this route, you could have planned for it in advance.

But, I would not let that stop me, especially if the degree I wanted from a good school was an option. I'd suck it up and take the courses.
-----------------
Edit to add: 45 is hardly old! Think about this: if you're working in the private sector, and aren't able to retire with a full pension at 55 like many government workers, you quite possibly could work for another 25 years. So in the big scheme of things, taking those 3 courses again, and getting that degree, is a very good investment of your time and money. I would do it in a heartbeat (and I'm 47).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-07-2018, 09:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: My reply from the other post:

Many schools want specific courses to be graded, so they won't take alternate credit for those.  They will accept your degree, but want grades for those courses.  It's a bummer, and if you would have known that you wanted to go this route, you could have planned for it in advance.

But, I would not let that stop me, especially if the degree I wanted from a good school was an option.  I'd suck it up and take the courses.
-----------------
Edit to add: 45 is hardly old!  Think about this: if you're working in the private sector, and aren't able to retire with a full pension at 55 like many government workers, you quite possibly could work for another 25 years.  So in the big scheme of things, taking those 3 courses again, and getting that degree, is a very good investment of your time and money.  I would do it in a heartbeat (and I'm 47).

Thanks dfrecore.  Your responses are always appreciated. Smile

I provide comprehensive financial planning to professors and medical professionals.  Many of my clients work well past the age of 70! Not because they have to but because they love what they do.  One professor working at an Ivy for 50 years just retired at 81 and only did so because his spouse wanted to visit family in Europe!  My personal financial plan has me working until 70.

I am so conflicted primarily because there are so many choices.  Like a child eating at a restaurant for the first time and trying to choose from a large menu at a diner. 

I am now looking at Penn State  (Finance), West Chester University (MBA) and Purdue Global (Finance) and still considering if I should just do the MBA at WGU and get it done in a year.  Of course, I have no idea if any of these other schools will accept the courses in question.

Gloddy

Still Need:
N/A

B&M Schools
(08-08-2018, 07:19 PM)Gloddy Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 09:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: My reply from the other post:

Many schools want specific courses to be graded, so they won't take alternate credit for those.  They will accept your degree, but want grades for those courses.  It's a bummer, and if you would have known that you wanted to go this route, you could have planned for it in advance.

But, I would not let that stop me, especially if the degree I wanted from a good school was an option.  I'd suck it up and take the courses.
-----------------
Edit to add: 45 is hardly old!  Think about this: if you're working in the private sector, and aren't able to retire with a full pension at 55 like many government workers, you quite possibly could work for another 25 years.  So in the big scheme of things, taking those 3 courses again, and getting that degree, is a very good investment of your time and money.  I would do it in a heartbeat (and I'm 47).

Thanks dfrecore.  Your responses are always appreciated. Smile

I provide comprehensive financial planning to professors and medical professionals.  Many of my clients work well past the age of 70! Not because they have to but because they love what they do.  One professor working at an Ivy for 50 years just retired at 81 and only did so because his spouse wanted to visit family in Europe!  My personal financial plan has me working until 70.

I am so conflicted primarily because there are so many choices.  Like a child eating at a restaurant for the first time and trying to choose from a large menu at a diner. 

I am now looking at Penn State  (Finance), West Chester University (MBA) and Purdue Global (Finance) and still considering if I should just do the MBA at WGU and get it done in a year.  Of course, I have no idea if any of these other schools will accept the courses in question.

Gloddy

Obviously you won't have an issue at WGU.

I think a Master's in Finance is a much better way to go than an MBA, which is fairly generic.  I'd always opt for something more focused if that's where your interests lie.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 264 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,094 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,973 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,619 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 520 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,589 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,133 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 6 1,273 01-31-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: muca3