Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC's gen ed requirements and Saylor.
Which of COSC's gen ed requirements can't be filled via saylor? I'm looking at the master sheet but I don't see anything listed for Saylor. Is this because COSC awards credit via the ACE and not directly? If so, which, if any, of COSC's gen ed requirements can be filled via saylor?
CLEP testing is more expensive than Saylor and (I think) SL, so I would like to prioritize things in order of price.
[-] The following 1 user Likes muu9's post:
  • Johndmabryjr
Yes, it's because that master sheet is for "testing programs" instead of "ace courses". You might take a look at Saylor's website on their COSC transfer list. this link https://www.saylor.org/partners/credit-p...e-college/
please note that you'll benefit from some cross checking with the list saylor has of things that are current and expired for ACE credit. here https://www.saylor.org/credit/
If / when more clep centers open, you may be able to get vouchers for clep exams through modernstates.org and reduce cost to free.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

If you want cheap, you should do the free Sophia courses - as many of them as you can - until July 31.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-14-2020, 09:26 AM)muu9 Wrote: Which of COSC's gen ed requirements can't be filled via saylor? I'm looking at the master sheet but I don't see anything listed for Saylor. Is this because COSC awards credit via the ACE and not directly? If so, which, if any, of COSC's gen ed requirements can be filled via saylor?
CLEP testing is more expensive than Saylor and (I think) SL, so I would like to prioritize things in order of price.
Saylor isn't on COSC approved provider list so you'd have to take, finish, get courses on your transcript before July 1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(05-14-2020, 05:32 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 09:26 AM)muu9 Wrote: Which of COSC's gen ed requirements can't be filled via saylor? I'm looking at the master sheet but I don't see anything listed for Saylor. Is this because COSC awards credit via the ACE and not directly? If so, which, if any, of COSC's gen ed requirements can be filled via saylor?
Saylor isn't on COSC approved provider list so you'd have to take, finish, get courses on your transcript before July 1

What happens on July 1?
(05-14-2020, 10:23 PM)muu9 Wrote: What happens on July 1?

On July 1st, COSC is no longer taking credit from non-partner providers. Also, they are severely reducing the amount of alternate credit they'll accept. From 117 down to 90.
(05-15-2020, 04:19 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 10:23 PM)muu9 Wrote: What happens on July 1?

On July 1st, COSC is no longer taking credit from non-partner providers. Also, they are severely reducing the amount of alternate credit they'll accept. From 117 down to 90.

Oh crap. Just to be clear, that means that in order to get a bachelor's I'll still need 30 credits from COSC no matter what right? Will it still be possible for me to credit my way to an associates degree? Will COSC credit transfer to TESU or should I just switch now? Does TESU take sophia courses?
It does, indeed, mean that they expect you to take 30 credits from them. However, they'll accept RA credits to transfer in and those don't count towards the limit. So if you were to, say, transfer in 8 classes from ASU's Earned Admissions, then you'd pay ASU just $800 (right now), and then you'd only have to take the two required classes at COSC (capstone and cornerstone) for a bachelor's.

Since they are still accepting 90, it appears (as of right now) that you could still do an associate's degree with alternate credits at COSC. With the cornerstone requirement, that'd still cost you around $2000. Not everyone thinks an associate's degree is worth $2k.

Transferring credits from COSC: I'm sure it's possible. I don't know how things transfer over, however. If you're still early in the process and haven't taken any classes at all, it might make sense to skip COSC entirely and just go straight for TESU. Which degree are you wanting? TESU degrees can get pretty spendy. Excelsior is a bit more obscure (as to requirements) but it might be a less costly way of getting your degree, if price is a critical factor. If you are in the US, WGU can be cheaper still as long as you transfer in as many credits as possible and are able to finish within 6-12 months - you'd pay about $3500 per 6 months at WGU and that's it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • SteveFoerster
CLEP is still free with ModernStates.

Sophia is free and faster than taking CLEPs.

Saylor I would avoid them unless you can take the practice exam cold and score at least 60%. Might be some low hanging fruit there but it's like an Easter egg hunt to find them.

The main issues with Saylor are the grading system is one of the toughest out of all the providers and they tend to take a long time. People report exams often don't line up with the study material.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-14-2020, 05:32 PM)TwinMom Wrote:

Does anyone have the list of approved providers?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,957 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,859 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 781 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,398 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,095 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,340 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,785 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,250 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,914 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,665 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso