Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG, I need glasses! What would you do?
(09-30-2020, 10:37 AM)LongRoad Wrote: As most of you may know, there's a big Italian monopoly that produces something like 75% of ALL frames and a large percent of the lenses. They also own many of the ... what's the term when you own the chain? I mean like you own the coal mine, you own the train line, and you own the steel mills. Whatever that term is, that company's like that, too. This monopoly owns many of the eyeglass chains and optometry chains.

Supply chain? Interesting, I didn't know that about eyeglasses.

(09-30-2020, 10:37 AM)LongRoad Wrote: Don't you wonder why your cell phone can get more and more advanced, but the price doesn't increase significantly? And glasses, which really don't evolve much cost an outrageous price? Blame that Italian monopoly.

I guess I didn't think of the cost of eyeglasses as being outrageous until you made me consider it. And compared with the cost of reading glasses, they really are a lot.

Although it's not like there's anything seemingly hard to duplicate in that sort of manufacturing, so I can't help but wonder whether protectionism is also a factor.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: OMG, I need glasses! What would you do? - by SteveFoerster - 09-30-2020, 01:54 PM
RE: OMG, I need glasses! What would you do? - by studyandpass5 - 09-30-2020, 02:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Pair of Prescription Glasses! Add-ons available... bjcheung77 7 1,252 05-12-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Vle045