Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC Wants Me To Do 34 Credits Despite Having 100+ Credits
(05-29-2021, 01:25 AM)Kal Di Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 09:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, the issue is that you have to check off all of the boxes for requirements, as well as have 120cr - no legitimate school will just give you a degree for 120 credits of whatever. So you need an Ethics course, a math course, a natural science course, etc.

Also, did you sign up for the BA in Liberal Studies or the BS?  If you did the BA, switch to the BS.  That way they will take more "electives" than the BA (BA requires 90cr of Arts & Sciences and 30cr of Electives, and all UL must be in the A&S area; BS requires 60/60 for credits, and 21/9 for UL).

Arts & Sciences includes the Humanities, Social Sciences, Math & Natural Science.  You can get these credits from Study.com or Coopersmith.

Some examples of Arts & Sciences that will work:
BUS 318: Management Ethics (this will kill 2 birds - Ethics AND UL)
Choose 2 more:
BUS 313: Organizational Communication (UL Humanities)
SOC 305: Sociology of Work (UL SocSci)
PSY 311: Physiological Psychology (UL SocSci)
PSY 316: Advanced Social Psychology (UL SocSci)

You need 2 additional A&S courses - choose easy ones from Sophia - make sure they're not electives, Sophia's transfer page will show you what works where.

Did anything come in lower than a C?  If so, they won't take it. Otherwise, you're getting a BA, and you ran out of space for electives, so the switch to the BS should help. They would then bring in the remaining credits they didn't use, and you're done.

Well, I applied for the Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts and that's what they stated as mentioned in my original post. 

I don't know why they ignored my "Intro to Sociology" course as it would fulfill the remainder of the social sciences requirement. I'm going to ask them to reconsider that course. Thank you for the SDC course suggestions. 

Let's say I took those exact courses to get my 15 more UL credits. They're still saying I need 15 more credits in LL "arts and sciences", but I don't understand why they wouldn't consider my MUS 133 AUDIO RECORDING TECH (3 credits), HPE 102 HEALTH & WELLNESS (3 credits), AUT 131 AUTOMOTIVE HEATING & AC (3 credits), AUT 111 AUTOMOTIVE BRAKE SYS (3 credits), and one of the other 4 credit automotive courses. Surely, those lower-level courses would be considered as arts and sciences. 

When I compared all my credits to this recent sample transfer guide (https://www.excelsior.edu/wp-content/upl...-03.21.pdf), I thought they'd accept at least 98 of my credits.

I looked at your original post, and in 2 places it said bachelor's degree in liberal arts.”  Nowhere does it say Bachelor of Science – so that’s why I asked.

Part of the problem is that you didn’t say WHERE the courses all came in (if you look at your Map, it should list “H” or “S” or “N” next to courses to show the category: H=Humanities; S-Social Sciences; N=Natural Sciences).

When I figured that out, I could see why they didn’t bring things in (generally there’s a pattern).  I’m going to guess that your Music courses are too “technical” to be considered Humanities, so those are going to go in the Free Electives area; COSC and TESU may do that as well.  100% certain your Auto courses are Free Electives anywhere. Health is considered a Free Elective at EC and TESU.  

So I created a degree plan, and was able to match up to what you said they brought in (moved the Music courses to free electives, now I show that you have 86cr done, and 34cr left).

Here’s what I would do:
1)    Sign up for the Info Lit course
2)    Take 3 UL courses from Study.com from previous list
3)    If you took those in a single month, then you’re done; if not, take a LL course for the 2nd month since you’re paying for it anyway)
4)    Take 4 (or 5) LL A&S courses from Sophia
5)    Take 1 LL Free Elective from Sophia
6)    Sign up for Cornerstone
7)    Sign up for Capstone

There is no need to do everything in 1 term at EC that I know of, so there’s no rush to get all of your courses there done in a term – but if you need to for Pell Grant reasons, then it’s easy enough to just finish Sophia and Study.com first and then do the 3 courses in 1 term.

Also, if you’re getting a Pell Grant, you might benefit from doing 2 additional courses at EC instead – you would do 13cr there (Info Lit, Cornerstone, Capstone, and 2 other courses), and the additional amount would only be $550.

EC pricing
Tuition & fees for 7cr $5300 (bring in 113cr)
Tuition & fees for 13cr $5850 (bring in 107cr)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • BigDaddy1

Messages In This Thread
RE: EC Wants Me To Do 34 Credits Despite Having 100+ Credits - by dfrecore - 05-29-2021, 11:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 407 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,170 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  upper level business credits at EC MCJ 10 3,068 03-22-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: MCJ
  Advisor said no but transferred credits anyway... frankc 5 1,095 07-23-2022, 07:30 AM
Last Post: TheVilified
  Transferring TEEX credits to Excelsior Loopsb 6 2,327 10-23-2021, 10:18 AM
Last Post: TwinMom
  CSM Course now accepted at Excelsior for 3 credits of Quantitative Reasoning CSMlearn 5 1,680 03-03-2021, 06:06 PM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  Accepted UL credits from SDC adegree4me 12 3,007 02-21-2021, 08:28 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Upper Level Credits/DAU Courses sava60 15 3,559 12-30-2020, 12:07 PM
Last Post: oroseeo
  UL Arts and Sciences/Applied Professional Credits mrskitty 12 2,370 08-19-2020, 11:14 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Excelsior Upper Level Credits TwinMom 12 4,434 03-26-2020, 04:30 PM
Last Post: TwinMom