Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help with degree planning for son for Bachelor's in Business Admin or Finance
(06-21-2022, 12:20 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Sophia is not video proctored. The only proctoring is via a typing sample taken at the beginning of the milestones. Exams are open book.

LawShelf is not video proctored. They have a voiceprint analysis to confirm that you're you. All exams are open book.

Some Arizona State University Universal Learner (RA credit) courses do not have proctored exams. This can be a relatively inexpenisve way to get non-proctored UL credit for some degrees.

Everything else is proctored. Coopersmith and SL use live proctors. Davar and Study.com use recorded proctors.

@rachel83az

Thank you for the advice on the differ proctoring requirements. Based on the feedback I asked for in April initially, it looked like TESU Bachelor's in Finance might be the best option for him. While he is leaning towards Finance, I think this major requirement is less important and he is open to either getting a Bachelor's in Business Administration or even a Bachelor of Liberal Arts/General Studies and concentrating in something Business related. With Covid, he did not have an initially great experience with school and then his mom died in 2020. Coupled with ADD and not feeling engaged with college, I thing he got discouraged with school and the concept of taking 2-3 more years (he dropped some classes) with the traditional college route is daunting so I am trying to help him strategize about checking the box of obtaining a Bachelor's degree in a cost effective, and fairly quick manner. If the major is less important, do you recommend TESU or another school like Arizona State University, or UMPI. 

As a parent helping him out, I also want it to be affordable as I want to pay for this out of pocket and I also want the risk to be lower to me if doesn't do great academically. 

@bjcheung77 had great advice about utilizing cheaper sources of credit that build up his confidence such as Saylor or Sophia and are also a cheaper cost to me. Win/Win.

If we are looking at a cheaper and relatively quick being more of a requirement than a major, what school do you recommend?

Thanks,

Education Seeker

(06-21-2022, 12:27 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-21-2022, 10:41 AM)EducationSeeker Wrote: Sorry to follow up on an older thread, but, regarding my older son, for the recommendation for ACE/NCCRS, do non-proctored classes or exams from these type of providers like Sophia, Saylor, Study.com, ONU exist. Since my older son has about 30 RA credits, I believe you recommended TESU. If he does the Finance or the Business Administration degree at TESU, I think this means that he would need to complete 2 courses...Capstone and one other course at TESU or are there more? What is the format of these courses and are these proctored? Are they mainly papers, how does it work? We are trying to find unproctored course/class provider options and I know they have been mentioned here.

If he were open to just doing Business Administration or even a Bachelor of Liberal Arts/General studies degree with a concentration in something in Economics, are there other cheaper options like UMPI for Business or Liberal Arts/Studies?

He has an interest in real estate and it doesn't seem like the Big 3 or UMPI, SNHU, WGU or less expensive options have an concentration in Real Estate. Since he is also looking at potentially looking at being an entrepreneur by real estate investment and flipping houses, I don't know that  it makes a huge difference that his degree is in Business vs. Finance vs. Bachelor of Liberal Studies. I think getting the degree as a credential and moving on with his life is probably more important at this point although I think a business related field makes sense. Since he is looking at getting the degree cheaply and quickly, I think achieving the Bachelor's degree and moving on is most important.

Thanks,

Education Seeker

With an interest in real estate, he doesn't need a concentration in real estate. That's not a super common concentration. A business degree with a concentration in project management, management, accounting, or marketing would serve him well. He'd need skills in all of those areas. 

Sophia is the only ACE provider that doesn't have proctors, but they are adding papers to many of their classes. Many schools also use proctoring.

@ss20ts

I noticed in your signature line that it looks like you graduated from UMPI. So far, it looked like the best/cheapest/quickest option for him was likely TESU. I was wondering what your experience was at UMPI or what you think of Amberton? If the type of major is less important than say cost and the speed to which someone who is diligent can complete the Bachelor's degree, what school would you recommend?

Thanks,

Education Seeker

Messages In This Thread
RE: need help with degree planning for son for Bachelor's in Business Admin or Finance - by EducationSeeker - 06-21-2022, 06:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 2 37 17 minutes ago
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 587 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,163 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,902 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 194 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,122 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 389 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,294 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 171 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 930 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM