Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Principles of Finance at EC - DSST? UExcel? other?
Hello! Last time I was kicking around the idea of a backdoor bachelor's business degree, and now I have a specific question:

What's the best way to take a finance course credit exam that Excelsior College will recognize as BUS350 - Principles of Finance?

and then the corollary question:

What's the easiest way to get transcript credit for a business finance course at Excelsior College even if that ends up being lower-level credit?

Various options I'm looking at include DSST Principles of Finance, UExcel Principles of Finance, and vaguely aware there may be a TECEP or a Sophia or Study.com course that works too.

What I want to do is just take the DSST because I think that will be quickest, easiest, cheapest, and most readily accessible for me. But I'm curious how the DSST comes in at Excelsior.

For some background, here's what I've been up to since my last post:

- Prior Bachelor's Degree (Mechanical Engineering, 2010)
  • In my program I had a class called "Engineering Economics" which covered topics like market valuation, depreciation of assets, and time-value-of-money calculations. I also had Micro- and Macro-economics and a basic statistics course.
- Current Enrollment at Georgia Tech, OMS Analytics (9/36 hours complete)
- CLEP Exams, all transcripted and sent to Excelsior College:
  • Information Systems (74)
  • Principles Of Marketing (77)
  • Principles Of Management (73)
  • Financial Accounting (67)
  • Business Law (will take this week)
I'm not yet sure I want to get the whole business degree. I'm trying to get transcript credit for the courses typically taken as a business minor (with specific requirements to take a Finance class and a Supply Chain/Operations Management class) so that I can transfer them to Georgia Tech so that I can get out of doing a class I don't wanna do. (Yes, that sounds like a lot of extra effort. Yes, it's worth it to me.) If after accomplishing that it's then not a whole lot of extra effort to finish the second bachelors I may go ahead and do it especially if I can UExcel-test out of most of the core courses.

Curious to know what others have done and how I might best achieve this main goal of getting a finance class on my transcript. Thanks.

By the way, I'm not dead-set stuck on Excelsior, they just happen to host the UExcel for courses I'm interested in. I will still need to take a Supply Chain/Operations Management course and then wrap the whole thing in a bow and present it as a "business minor" so if there's some minimum residency threshold I need to reach before they'll cut me a transcript, I'd better learn about that now too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BarleyWhine's post:
  • carrythenothing

Messages In This Thread
Principles of Finance at EC - DSST? UExcel? other? - by BarleyWhine - 05-02-2022, 01:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Principles of Management CLEP vs Sophia for EU NBM123 9 1,384 09-15-2022, 05:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior Ending UExcel Program - reg by 6/30, test by 8/21 jkoby 2 1,098 06-08-2022, 04:41 PM
Last Post: jkoby
  What is a best APP resources for the UEXCEL A&P I & II Exam? Maryanne2020 0 818 08-26-2020, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Maryanne2020
  UExcel counts to full fill BSIT? gams007 1 1,274 07-20-2019, 01:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Uexcel / ECE signup mid semester Cheeseburrito 1 1,040 12-26-2018, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  UEXCEL exam questions glgamerica 3 2,035 12-06-2018, 10:32 AM
  UExcel exams/ ECE's graded on a curve GonnaGraduate 0 1,162 11-21-2018, 03:41 AM
Last Post: GonnaGraduate
  Uexcel exam question Argo 1 1,276 10-13-2018, 07:57 PM
  Uexcel: Tips and suggested resources? Cheeseburrito 2 1,401 10-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito