Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan – BS Math Major at Excelsior
ALEKS Introduction to Statistics

Before starting ALEKS Introduction to Statistics, I had seen completion times of 40-70 hours; that range seems pretty accurate for many people.

I started by watching the "Against All Odds" videos (13 hours) at learner.org, which were enjoyable and put the topics into context.

After that, I started ALEKS above 30% and it took about 28 hours to reach 70%. Mostly, I worked through one pie slice at a time in the order ALEKS lists them on the “Course Products” page. It helped me to build on the same topic before starting a new one. I recommend taking really good notes on each type of problem. Since I am interested in Statistics as a career, I spent another 25 hours to work through as many of the rest of the topics as possible. I got to about 113 out of 116 topics before my subscription for the month ran out.

I also bought the Idiot's Guide book for additional reference.

The biggest thing that I learned is that I actually do like statistics. That is a relief!

Humanities CLEP

I studied a little over 3 weeks. I do not have a strong background or interest in the subjects covered. I do remember learning some of this in high school, and I enjoy watching PBS shows like Antiques Roadshow and History Detectives.

Thanks for recommending many great resources. There was practically unanimous approval for the IC flashcards and Peterson’s practice tests, but I did not have time to study those. (That is typically what I use in my fourth week of studying.)

I used these books, practice tests, and websites:

REA General Review book (with review/teaching material for each subject plus drills)
and SEPARATE REA Preparation book (with 3 practice tests) - http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...exams.html
(The drills were very difficult, since it was new material and not review, but the 3 practice tests were good.)

Peterson's CLEP Success free ebook has a timeline and 2 practice tests. These were very difficult, as always, but still had some useful information.

Study notes from the forum, which may have been made by Lubee

Humanities Study Guide - Humanities CLEP Free Study Guide - Free-Clep-Prep.com
Fine Art by Movement - Fine Art by Movement Posters at AllPosters.com - It is very helpful to see pictures of the types of work after having read descriptions of the different styles in REA. Be careful some “art” is really obscene.
History of Painting - History of painting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Musical Terms Glossary - Glossary of Musical Terms
Shakespeare characters and overviews - SparkNotes: Today's Most Popular Study Guides
List for Greek and Roman mythology - Greek and Roman Gods
Literary Terms review from A&I Lit- http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post75628
Circle of fifths explanation - The Circle of Fifths: A Brief History - For Dummies
Circle of fifths picture - Circle of fifths - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CLEP Official Study Guide - Practice test

The REA book was great for putting the subjects and various movements into context and organized by time. It helped a lot to get each person memorized by chronological order and particular movement. I tried to keep my studying pretty shallow (just the facts); the actual test went deeper, then shallower, then wider than I had studied and memorized, so it was hard to know how I was doing.

I got a 67 and now I am officially a Senior!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Messages In This Thread
Degree Plan – BS Math Major at Excelsior - by NAP - 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Degree Plan - BS Math Major at Excelsior - by NAP - 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,202 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,675 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,869 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,778 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,008 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,963 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,325 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,685 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero