Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan – BS Math Major at Excelsior
Business Ethics & Society DSST

I was concerned about choosing this exam, since I do not have any background in the subject - no business experience or courses/exams. I was familiar with some of the topics through studying for US History II and American Government CLEPs and the philosophy part of Humanities CLEP. Plus, through the fact that it is a new and growing field over the past 20-30 years, I have heard about some of these events on the news and in every day life. I studied for 2 weeks using the following resources:

Peterson’s Guide to Mastering DSST Exams ebook for Ethics in America – read through and it was more philosophy than ethics to me, so I decided to change to the Business Ethics exam
IC flashcards, notes, and links
Business Ethics and Society DSST Study Guide - Free-Clep-Prep.com – looked through a couple websites and especially used textbook links for quizzes and glossary
I needed more help understanding the differences and main points of the philosophies, so I found these explanations:
Chart - Ethical Theories Compared
Utilitarianism - Utilitarianism
Kantianism - Kant's Ethics
Official DSST fact sheet and practice test

I would have liked a little more reading for overview/depth, glossary to not be easily tricked, scenario examples, and current events/previous newsmaking happenings.

It helped to know it would take some time to read through and analyze all of the scenarios, which were each a few sentences long (not nearly the same length as A&I Lit). It took an hour to answer 100 questions.

Scored 458 and my last UL credits are complete!

Social Sciences & History CLEP

I was not planning to need this test. If I had known, I would have taken it shortly after I took the 2 US History and American Government CLEPs 3 years ago. Up to this point, I have purposely avoided the social science subjects. (I guess you can pick up a lot of it through daily living.) I studied for 3 weeks. So much is covered in the study guides, it made me feel like I needed a lot more and deeper study. It turned out to be my kind of test, though, just know a little bit about a lot of subjects.

REA study guide with practice tests – great preparation
Peterson’s CLEP Success ebook
Official CLEP Study Guide – I was getting about 2/3 correct on REA and this practice exam.
Read through all 10 practice tests in the social science and history category of the official study guide – This was extremely helpful.

I recognized quite a few questions from all of the practice tests I read. There were lots of straightforward vocabulary and facts questions and lots of charts. Also, the test was put in order by category, so my brain did not have to jump around between topics, and it gives the correct amount of questions on each subject.

Scored 75 and have 6 more credits for 110 total!

Personal Finance DSST

I do not have any personal experience with these topics. My parents taught me a lot as they were going through each purchase. It is also a hobby of mine to learn about all of this, so I can help my parents with their financial planning. Over the years, I have read a lot of Suze Orman’s book “Road to Wealth”, which has questions and answers about most of these subjects. Generally, I do not like to read, but I usually do read the fine print of financial and legal documents. I have also watched some of the small claims court television shows. It is pretty neat to have the opportunity to earn college credit in a topic that I already know about. I am not sure if it was my lack of specific knowledge, but the questions and answers were not worded as clearly as I expected. I also noticed that I have been taught to make good financial decisions – like avoid certain fees – so I could not answer with certainty what the fees were for or when they were charged.

I studied for one week and scored a 463 by using these resources:

IC flashcards
2 textbook sites for chapter summaries, flashcards, glossary, practice tests -
http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/007...ent_view0/
Personal Finance
Looked through a few things at these 2 websites -
thisMatter.com: Fundamental Tutorials about Consumer Finance, Investments, and Economics
Personal Finance DSST Study Guide - Free-Clep-Prep.com
Official DSST fact sheet and practice test

I only have 1 class and 1 exam of my choice left to finish my bachelor’s degree!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Messages In This Thread
Degree Plan – BS Math Major at Excelsior - by NAP - 06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Degree Plan - BS Math Major at Excelsior - by NAP - 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,155 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,620 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,941 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero