Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan – BS Math Major at Excelsior
I think Aleks is definitely worth a try. I just couldn't sit at my computer that long doing math, my least favorite subject. I lost patience with it. You seem to have a more agreeable and patient temperament than I do, so it is likely you would do better.

NAP and I already discussed some updates to her plan via PM, but she asked me to share what I said, just in case there are any lurkers who are thinking of doing what she is doing so here's what I said:

1) CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature. I would recommend this exam for almost every degree plan. Of all the CLEP exams, this is nearly the easiest 6 LL credits most people can pick up along the way. It's just a big reading comprehension exam, and I think you can pass it as long as you have good reading speed and if you don't get impatient with poetry. Like you have already pointed out, if you pass this one it will save you some time that you can then use to work on your GRE or foreign language study instead.

2) U.S. History I & II, DSST Civil War and Reconstruction. For you, I think this is a good line-up. Put American Gov. in there too, but take it after U.S. History I & II. If you pass those three exams, then I think you can attempt the upper level DSST CW&R, which was almost my exact lineup for those, and I studied three weeks for CW&R, after passing U.S. History I, II, American Gov., and SS & History. I do not think American Gov. counts as a history exam, but all these exams do:

CLEP Western Civilization I--3LL
CLEP Western Civilization II --3LL
DSST Intro to the Middle East--3LL
DSST Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union--3UL
DSST A History of the Vietnam War --3LL
DSST Western Europe since 1945--3LL

So, taking any one of those will give you a depth in history. Then maybe you could carve out one of the GREs or a foreign language from your plan. This will cost a little bit more, but it will decrease your stress level, study time, and most important of all, you will be closer to a degree in less time. Don't forget that the whole point of this is to get your degree. You can learn anything else you want at your leisure after--master 20 languages and take all the GREs, but why not just get one degree first? I don't want to rain on your parade, but I do want to see you get that degree and go on to your bigger goal of a Master's.

3) I had no idea about what lower level math exams duplicated, thanks to inrbru for answering that more clearly than I ever could have.

So, after these adjustments, your plan will look something like this:

English Composition I course - 3 credits *

Humanities
Spanish course – 4 credits *
One Foreign Language --Your choice--CLEP – 6/12 credits--For now, learn just one language really well, instead of two or three adequately, and aim for all 12 credits
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature--6LL

Social Sciences/History
US History I CLEP – 3 credits *
US History II CLEP – 3 credits
CLEP American Governmemt--3LL
DSST Civil War & Reconstruction--3UL
DSST Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union--3UL--your first depth would be met here with any history exam listed above, but this one is upper level and will give you a bit more breathing room for upper level credit on the GREs

Natural Sciences/Math
College Algebra course – 3 credits *
Astronomy DANTES – 3 credits
Biology CLEP – 6 credits
Chemistry CLEP – 6 credits
CLEP Natural Sciences--6LL--does NOT duplicate your other exams listed here!(not sure about GRE)
PreCalculus CLEP – 3 credits
Calculus CLEP – 3 credits
Statistics DANTES – 3 credits

Information Literacy EC course – 1 credit--Penn Foster or LSU Info. Lit for $90, instead of $300 EC charges

Research and Writing in the Major EC course – 1 credit upper level--Optional--Math and Liberal Studies majors do not require this!

Major Option/Depth 1/Area of Focus
Math GRE – up to 33 credits with up to 18/21 upper level--second depth met with a score above 55th percentile--but put your focus here, for all 33 credits if you want to test out of the major. Also, if you pass this and get all 33CR, you could delete one of the other GRE exams from your plan.

Depth 2/Area of Focus
Biochemistry GRE – up to 30 credits with up to 18 upper level--just aim for a score above 60th percentile, for 12 LL and 6 UL

Free Elective/Additional Arts & Sciences
Computer Science GRE – up to 30 credits with up to 18 upper level--just aim for a score above 55th percentile, for 12 LL and 3 UL

I am not sure what duplicates, but this is a start. Even if one or two exams duplicate, your cost and workload should not go up more than a few exams, and that wouldn't be too hard to make up the difference, with an easier exam, like DSST Intro. to Law Enforcement. Surely you can take it easy on yourself for just four or five exams, right? The rest of your plan is so strenuous, I doubt that, say, DSST Intro. to Business or something similarly easy will stand out all that much, and some free electives could be fun, maybe for a little variety. After studying hard in one discipline for a long time (gosh all that Calculus!) analyzing a bit of literature might seem like a vacation. Smile

Good luck, and keep me updated on your progress!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/

Messages In This Thread
Degree Plan – BS Math Major at Excelsior - by alissaroot - 03-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Degree Plan - BS Math Major at Excelsior - by NAP - 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,155 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,817 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,621 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,942 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero