Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is anyone a family history buff?
Linda,
I am so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. Unfortunately I have no suggestions but you have inspired me to be proactive about recording my parents' history. Thank you for that. I hope you have a restful and peaceful summer.

cate
BS (UMUC) in 2010, 30+ years in the making!!

Intro to Computing 63
Astronomy 63
Technical Writing 62
Principles of Mgt 71
Principles of Marketing 68
Substance Abuse 467
College Math 56
Principles of Finance 425
Principles of Statistics 458

Exams: ALL DONE!!!!!!!!!!

GRADUATION--UMUC--MAY 15, 2010 (unbelievable)
Hi, again!

Try this place also:

NYC Death Records

Here's the search I tried - Vasquez/Vazquez - NYC Death Index Results

If you could find the death certificate number (which is not necessary just helpful) at this site, then it should be easy (sometimes there are privacy rules) to send for a copy of the record, which should/could have a cemetery listing on it.

Also, my local historical society can look up a last name and print all of the burials in the county for it. Not all places are like this, but it would be worth asking.

I hope this helps!

NAP
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Well I can at least give you a great big online [SIZE="5"]{{{{{HUG}}}}}[/SIZE]

You found my Aunt!! She is kind of a special memory I have had all my life we share the same birthday. She died before I was born, when she was only 14 in 1936, but I have always heard that my grandfather had a special place in his heart for me because I was born on her birthday.

Thank You so much for that info. The rest of the family died after 1949 so I can't find them there, but I was afraid to send for info on them because I had no hope. I know this is the correct information though, because my mother had told me Evelyn had died in Dec. and she was 14.

Now I just have to decide if I will go to NY and request the others in person or just mail in request.

This is the best I have felt all week

THANK YOU AGAIN!!Smile
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
That is so wonderful!!

I know that is a really special thing to share a birthday with a family member because I do, too.

I had noticed Evelyn while I was doing some searching. According to this page (about one quarter of the way down), she is buried in Lake Cemetery:

- Staten Island, Richmond County, NY, Genealogy Resources Cemetery Burials - Lake Cemetery

This page has some info on the location of the cemetery:

Cemeteries - Staten Island, Richmond County, NY, Genealogy Resources Staten Island Cemeteries

This page has some pictures and notes about the cemetery:

Find A Grave: Lake Cemetery

I think you will find the genealogy group to be very helpful (a lot like this forum!). I know that they will really connect with your story and want to help you find the information that you need.

I am so glad that I could help you!!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Lindagerr and Frankiebleyes - I sent you both a PM.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Well Done NAP! Excellent work!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Thanks Alissa!

Frankiebleyes - I sent you a PM.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Well that was my Aunt you found NAP, but thae cemetary she was in was closed so she was moved. The records were confusing then my Mother remembered the family had moved her to be with the rest of them, she just doesn't remember where. I am getting discouraged, but I am happy that I have found so much other information. My sister is flying up Thursday and if we don't find the family by Friday we may just go do a phyisical search of cemetaries in Staten Island. It will a good chance for my sister and I to visit all the spots I remember from both sides of the family. She is 12 years younger and sometimes it feels like she grew up in a whole different family.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:Well that was my Aunt you found NAP, but thae cemetary she was in was closed so she was moved. The records were confusing then my Mother remembered the family had moved her to be with the rest of them, she just doesn't remember where. I am getting discouraged, but I am happy that I have found so much other information. My sister is flying up Thursday and if we don't find the family by Friday we may just go do a phyisical search of cemetaries in Staten Island. It will a good chance for my sister and I to visit all the spots I remember from both sides of the family. She is 12 years younger and sometimes it feels like she grew up in a whole different family.
Sorry that you hit a mess but I hope you have a good time with your sister!
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Taken:
English Composition w/ Essay CLEP 57
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP 65
Introductory Psychology CLEP 57
Western Civilization I CLEP 55[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government
Hi Linda!

Strange, my relatives keep "moving", too.

I'm sure you will find the information that you need; it is just a matter of how quickly and what would be the best way to find it.

For instance, a death certificate takes several weeks to receive. It usually does not require much more info than what you got from the Social Security Death Index to apply for one.

Before 1949 - NYC Department of Records - Application for a Search and/or Certified Copy of a Death Record

From 1949-present - Death Certificates : Office of Vital Records : NYC DOHMH

Finding an obituary could be faster, especially since you know the names and dates already.

It is so much easier to sit in an air conditioned room at a historical society or library with a local expert and search in books or on a computer for the information you need than it is to go to cemeteries and walk through hoping to find the right location on a hot June day.

Unfortunately, the cemetery lists I gave you earlier are not complete or up-to-date. The information you need is very specific and you have all of the names and dates for the people involved and a general location. That should make the search much easier and someone local should be able to tell you the best way to find the family plot, since they would know what databases are available for the area.

Try asking the historical or genealogical society. Try contacting the cemeteries directly. Could a funeral director help with this? It certainly does not hurt to ask at any of these places. They deal with this information every day.

Enjoy the time with your sister, especially going back to explore childhood memories.

Many hugs,

NAP

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family Moves to Russia to Escape Woke LGBTQ Ideology, But It Doesn't Go Very Well Jonathan Whatley 3 1,212 03-11-2024, 08:04 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,673 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Is a psychology or history degree useless? missbootyfull 6 1,995 08-12-2019, 12:51 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Second Most Credentialed Person in Modern History sanantone 33 7,704 02-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  Police seize 10 children from homeschooled family. lavagirl 9 1,444 05-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  A Disturbing Truth About the History of Our Educational System - Video Saharapost 2 1,225 10-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Concentrating on school in the midst of family crisis. soliloquy 6 935 01-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Bibby
  2013 Family Economics and Discipleship Conference in St. Louis, MO degree4hbia 0 662 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: degree4hbia
  Who's Going to the 2013 Family Economics and Discipleship Conference in St. Louis, MO degree4hbia 3 885 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Last Post: starlinghunter
  Trying to Rewrite History...Good Idea or Bad Idea? marianne202 6 1,389 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer