Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury
(04-04-2024, 10:00 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: It's looking good!

2D might not be met by Intro to Art. In the current UMPI catalog, learning objective 2D is defined as

Quote:Students will be able to produce a tangible expression of creativity.

and courses that meet it are centrally about the student themselves creating work or making creative decisions. If you could show from your original institution's course description or syllabus – the institution's registrar's office should have something archived – that you did so as part of the course it might meet 2D.

Good news: Sophia Visual Communication is likely to meet 2D. Sophia Critical Thinking just might.

Okay. Thank you. I updated my degree plan. Sophia for: Intro to Stats, Human Bio+Lab, Spanish 1. Possibly/Probably: English Comp I, English Comp II, Visual Communications, or Critical Thinking. What order do you suggest I complete these Sophia classes in?

For additional context, right now my dominant hand is not very functional. I primarily use speech to text and then edit/format, and use the mouse with my non-dominant hand. The increased use of the non-dominant hand is increasing the deterioration/tears in the non-dominant arm.
(04-04-2024, 12:50 PM)Han_Shot_First_IYKYK Wrote: Sophia for: Intro to Stats, Human Bio+Lab, Spanish 1. Possibly/Probably: English Comp I, English Comp II, Visual Communications, or Critical Thinking. What order do you suggest I complete these Sophia classes in?

Sophia will let you have two courses open (in progress) at any one time.

A popular tactic is to have one course open you can progress through quickly – especially, one that has no touchstones (assignments) which will have turnaround waits for grading – and the other that may move slower.

Visual Communication has no touchstones, isn’t hard, but is interesting and rewarding. It made me look at design more richly. And you probably need 2D. It would be good to start your series with a quick win.

English Composition I and II on Sophia get complaints at an unusual rate for Sophia courses about waiting times to have touchstones graded and about the content of grading or feedback. If I were in your position I’d start them head on, first I then II, at the start of my subscription. (If it isn't working out, you can have a Sophia customer service rep pause the course and open another one instead, and re-open the paused course later. If it isn't working out even later, there are alternatives for English Composition I and II everywhere, including UMPI.)

Introduction to Statistics has no touchstones. Human Biology has no touchstones, though Human Biology Lab has two touchstones. Spanish I has five touchstones.

Quote:For additional context, right now my dominant hand is not very functional. I primarily use speech to text and then edit/format, and use the mouse with my non-dominant hand. The increased use of the non-dominant hand is increasing the deterioration/tears in the non-dominant arm.

Although Sophia as a course provider doesn't have the same disability services as a college, they may and they should make accommodations. Sophia made their Public Speaking course accessible to the deaf in 2020 thanks to advocacy by degreeforum's own ashkir.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
(04-04-2024, 01:43 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 12:50 PM)Han_Shot_First_IYKYK Wrote: Sophia for: Intro to Stats, Human Bio+Lab, Spanish 1. Possibly/Probably: English Comp I, English Comp II, Visual Communications, or Critical Thinking. What order do you suggest I complete these Sophia classes in?

Sophia will let you have two courses open (in progress) at any one time.

A popular tactic is to have one course open you can progress through quickly – especially, one that has no touchstones (assignments) which will have turnaround waits for grading – and the other that may move slower.

Visual Communication has no touchstones, isn’t hard, but is interesting and rewarding. It made me look at design more richly. And you probably need 2D. It would be good to start your series with a quick win.

English Composition I and II on Sophia get complaints at an unusual rate for Sophia courses about waiting times to have touchstones graded and about the content of grading or feedback. If I were in your position I’d start them head on, first I then II, at the start of my subscription. (If it isn't working out, you can have a Sophia customer service rep pause the course and open another one instead, and re-open the paused course later. If it isn't working out even later, there are alternatives for English Composition I and II everywhere, including UMPI.)

Introduction to Statistics has no touchstones. Human Biology has no touchstones, though Human Biology Lab has two touchstones. Spanish I has five touchstones.

Quote:For additional context, right now my dominant hand is not very functional. I primarily use speech to text and then edit/format, and use the mouse with my non-dominant hand. The increased use of the non-dominant hand is increasing the deterioration/tears in the non-dominant arm.

Although Sophia as a course provider doesn't have the same disability services as a college, they may and they should make accommodations. Sophia made their Public Speaking course accessible to the deaf in 2020 thanks to advocacy by degreeforum's own ashkir.

Thank you for this information. I'll get started with Sophia.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Han_Shot_First_IYKYK's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
First off, as one first responder to another... hang in there.

Now, this is not a "fast" program, but it is an online program that would allow you to enter as a college jr with your training, experience, and AS degree...
You could finish your bachelor's in two years, and roll directly into a one year Masters.

Also... it is ranked number three in the entire nation for Law enforcement.

https://www.wiu.edu/coehs/leja/

based on your experience and injuries, you might be able to qualify for some scholarships too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FireMedic_Philosopher's post:
  • Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
(04-13-2024, 09:15 PM)FireMedic_Philosopher Wrote: First off, as one first responder to another... hang in there.

Now, this is not a "fast" program, but it is an online program that would allow you to enter as a college jr with your training, experience, and AS degree...
You could finish your bachelor's in two years, and roll directly into a one year Masters.

Also... it is ranked number three in the entire nation for Law enforcement.

https://www.wiu.edu/coehs/leja/

based on your experience and injuries, you might be able to qualify for some scholarships too.

I'll look into it. Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  134 Credits But No Degree! Please Help Me Make Something Useful Out All These Credits CreativeLearner 21 530 1 hour ago
Last Post: CreativeLearner
  Newbiw Advice - Direction - Reality Check OchoNombres 1 111 04-26-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 124 04-24-2024, 11:43 AM
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 223 04-24-2024, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 180 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 114 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,926 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 243 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,645 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 143 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM