Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do classes from Study.com & Sophia.org appear on Studentclearinghouse.org if... UMPI
Do classes from Study.com & Sophia.org appear on Studentclearinghouse.org if sent to UMPI or TESU?

I have noticed that graduate schools, law schools, and medical schools often say they can only accept CLEP credit if it is on your accredited college transcript. This got me thinking: is it because they trust the college's verification, or is it because once it is put on your college transcript at a four-year institution, it then gets sent to the clearing house, and they have a way to verify it from there easily?

Has anyone here ever pulled their clearing house data? I'd like to know if CLEP, Study.com, or Sophia ever end up on the clearing house once sent to a place like UMPI. UMPI, for instance, can put grades and percentages if you have them sent that way. You can request from study.com grades and percentages on your transcript. This would allow them to be sent to UMPI, who will list them on the transcript as such.
It's because they trust the college's verification. Student Clearinghouse is essentially only there to take over the sending of transcripts from the schools themselves so that the school doesn't have to devote staff to that "menial" task. Student Clearinghouse doesn't verify or otherwise store the CLEP, etc. data. All they do is store the "picture", as it were, of the degree as sent to them by the university. Many, many universities don't even participate in Student Clearinghouse in the first place.

UMPI used to list SDC/Sophia percentages on their transcripts, if sent that way. They no longer do. The classes are only pass/fail and should be sent via Credly.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-16-2023, 11:58 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It's because they trust the college's verification. Student Clearinghouse is essentially only there to take over the sending of transcripts from the schools themselves so that the school doesn't have to devote staff to that "menial" task. Student Clearinghouse doesn't verify or otherwise store the CLEP, etc. data. All they do is store the "picture", as it were, of the degree as sent to them by the university. Many, many universities don't even participate in Student Clearinghouse in the first place.

UMPI used to list SDC/Sophia percentages on their transcripts, if sent that way. They no longer do. The classes are only pass/fail and should be sent via Credly.

Two things:

1. I read 97% of schools participate in the clearing house. So I think only off the beaten path schools don't.
2. UMPI changed this? Is this because they are sent via credly? Because I read if you send via parchment they will do it.
UMPI changed in late 2022 or early 2023. Even if sent via parchment and not Credly, its still only a pass/fail class on a UMPI transcript now.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-16-2023, 12:23 PM)rachel83az Wrote: UMPI changed in late 2022 or early 2023. Even if sent via parchment and not Credly, its still only a pass/fail class on a UMPI transcript now.

Alright, well then I am going to be looking for an institution that is 4 year accredited that will list them as with grades for the purposes of my experiment.

I see you discussing this here but no response: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...s-for-UMPI

Do you have a source on this change?
Try COSC, they require 80% on each one for people to get credit. As most institutions only take ACE as a pass/fail, even if they take it as a grade directly, it doesn't affect the overall GPA internally, only courses taken would. I'd like to see the results of experiments, I love them! That's why I always get in contact with people from various institutions to answer my inquiries even though I'm not a student there...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • CanICode
(10-16-2023, 01:22 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Try COSC, they require 80% on each one for people to get credit.  As most institutions only take ACE as a pass/fail, even if they take it as a grade directly, it doesn't affect the overall GPA internally, only courses taken would.  I'd like to see the results of experiments, I love them!  That's why I always get in contact with people from various institutions to answer my inquiries even though I'm not a student there...

Exactly. This is not a known quantity. Why do colleges specifically want it on your college transcript? They could trust it more, but why specifically a four-year? Why an accredited institution? Well, almost 100% of four-year accredited colleges use the clearing house. I also messaged an AMCAS MD med school, and they said specifically that they could not take study.com for prereqs because they could not verify them, not that they were not equivalent. They also said they took CLEPs for prerequisites, and online courses were okay. IMO, study.com courses with finals and assignments are much more rigorous than CLEPs, so it tracks in my mind that the reason they won't take them is because they cannot verify them easily with study.com or do not have an existing way set up. I have asked them if they were at the clearing house would they take them, but they haven't gotten back to me about it.

I just wanna see if it works. There are three med school types in the USA: AMCAS, AACOMAS, and TMDSAS. All of them are going to have different policies. If I can find one loophole, I will significantly improve my chances. Then there is LSAC for law school, which I am also pursuing, so I am checking for loopholes there, too.

EDIT: AACOMAS has confirmed they will accept Study.com courses if you select the version that sends letter grades and that they will be calculated into your GPA. That's great news. Sophia is a bit dicey and I am waiting to hear back. They would like a letter grade and Sophia only does percentages. We will see. DO schools are not as good as MD schools and have lower placement into more competitive specialties but something is better than nothing.
(10-16-2023, 03:24 PM)CanICode Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 01:22 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Try COSC, they require 80% on each one for people to get credit.  As most institutions only take ACE as a pass/fail, even if they take it as a grade directly, it doesn't affect the overall GPA internally, only courses taken would.  I'd like to see the results of experiments, I love them!  That's why I always get in contact with people from various institutions to answer my inquiries even though I'm not a student there...

Exactly. This is not a known quantity. Why do colleges specifically want it on your college transcript? They could trust it more, but why specifically a four-year? Why an accredited institution? Well, almost 100% of four-year accredited colleges use the clearing house. I also messaged an AMCAS MD med school, and they said specifically that they could not take study.com for prereqs because they could not verify them, not that they were not equivalent. They also said they took CLEPs for prerequisites, and online courses were okay. IMO, study.com courses with finals and assignments are much more rigorous than CLEPs, so it tracks in my mind that the reason they won't take them is because they cannot verify them easily with study.com or do not have an existing way set up. I have asked them if they were at the clearing house would they take them, but they haven't gotten back to me about it.

I just wanna see if it works. There are three med school types in the USA: AMCAS, AACOMAS, and TMDSAS. All of them are going to have different policies. If I can find one loophole, I will significantly improve my chances. Then there is LSAC for law school, which I am also pursuing, so I am checking for loopholes there, too.

EDIT: AACOMAS has confirmed they will accept Study.com courses if you select the version that sends letter grades and that they will be calculated into your GPA. That's great news. Sophia is a bit dicey and I am waiting to hear back. They would like a letter grade and Sophia only does percentages. We will see. DO schools are not as good as MD schools and have lower placement into more competitive specialties but something is better than nothing.

Just got confirmation from AACOMAS that they will convert sophia percentages using this chart. So for AACOMAS both Study.com and Sophia.org will count towards GPA.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CanICode's post:
  • Nemfis
American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS)
App Link: https://students-residents.aamc.org/appl...vice-amcas

American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS)
App Link: https://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/ap...cal-school

Texas application service for dental, medical, podiatry, and veterinary schools (TMDSAS)
App Link: https://tmdsas.com/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-16-2023, 03:24 PM)CanICode Wrote: Exactly. This is not a known quantity. Why do colleges specifically want it on your college transcript? They could trust it more, but why specifically a four-year? Why an accredited institution? Well, almost 100% of four-year accredited colleges use the clearing house. ...

I have no doubt that a high percentage of schools report to the clearinghouse the facts of attendance and graduation, but I think that only a few actually use them for transcript purposes or report courses and grades to them.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 8 304 Yesterday, 08:22 PM
Last Post: louise
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 193 Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 119 63,541 04-25-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gamebradie
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 507 04-24-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 942 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 149 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 565 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,488 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 806 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,027 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az