Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dyscalculia and Sophia.org Algebra and Stats
I've read other threads that seem to indicate that Sophia.org is the "last best hope" for individuals with dyscalculia to pass Algebra and Stats. Can someone please spell it out for me as to why this is the case? What makes Sophia.org's special in this regard? Thanks!
In my case, as someone who has taken all the math courses on Sophia, it comes down to not being pressured. It is not proctored, and they give more than enough time on the milestone tests. Also, the practice tests are similar to the actual milestones, so you're better prepared to take them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pach's post:
  • staceydiane
Sophia is open book. This means that, short of asking someone else to do the work for you (which, obviously, you should not do!), you are permitted to use any and all resources at your disposal. Graphing calculators, spreadsheets, whatever. The exams (Milestones) also have pretty generous time limits. Because there is no proctor, during the Milestones you can listen to music, hang upside-down, chew gum, whatever helps you to concentrate/focus and allow you to get a better score.

They're also pretty short for being Algebra/Stats classes. They focus on the essentials so that you don't have to spend weeks on topics that frustrate you.

If you have dyscalculia, it's still not going to be easy. It's still math. It's still a math class. (Or classes.) But it'll be some of the easiest and most straightforward math that you'll ever see at the university level.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, staceydiane
(09-28-2023, 02:57 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Sophia is open book. This means that, short of asking someone else to do the work for you (which, obviously, you should not do!), you are permitted to use any and all resources at your disposal. Graphing calculators, spreadsheets, whatever. The exams (Milestones) also have pretty generous time limits. Because there is no proctor, during the Milestones you can listen to music, hang upside-down, chew gum, whatever helps you to concentrate/focus and allow you to get a better score.

They're also pretty short for being Algebra/Stats classes. They focus on the essentials so that you don't have to spend weeks on topics that frustrate you.

If you have dyscalculia, it's still not going to be easy. It's still math. It's still a math class. (Or classes.) But it'll be some of the easiest and most straightforward math that you'll ever see at the university level.

Hypothetically, how long do you have to complete the entire course?
You have as long as your subscription is active. You may be able to finish in a couple of weeks. It may take you a few months. It will cost more money if you take longer, of course, but you'll have completed the course(s)!
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Another option is CSM Learn, they're also non-proctored, you go through a series of 'belts' until you get that down... I like CSM as you pay for the course and it's not a subscription, you can take your time to completing the course, little by little until you've got it all completed.  CSM Learn/Sophia.org are a select few that are open book and use the Honor Code of not using any outside help... It also depends on what you need/want to learn.

One other reason Sophia.org is amazing for your particular use is because of the content/learning material, it's clear, neat, nicely done.  Having open book exams are just that, you can use their resources on another screen and the quizzes on your main monitor.  Many times I don't recall 'formulas' and need that extra help/review.  Again, these systems use Biometric/IP metrics for everything, it's not invasive proctoring like other alternative providers use.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • retro
CSM Learn is good. It really depends on what kind of degree a student is wanting, though. For someone who wants a TESU BSBA, they'll have to do all three: CSM Learn, Algebra, and Statistics. But it's not as bad as it sounds. Even students with dyscalculia should be able to get a TESU BSBA with the help of Sophia & CSM Learn.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • retro
I am terrible at math, but Sophia's Statistics was totally doable. Took me a good 3 weeks to finish the class (I did it slowly to avoid math burnout). First module felt super easy. Most are logic questions such as: you are given a deck of playing cards. Which fraction is the probability that the first card on the deck is a hearts face card? And then they show different fractions as possible answers.

The fourth module was also a breeze for me. I felt the pie chart and Venn diagram questions to be fun. The 2nd and 3rd modules were pretty difficult. Practice milestone exams were rather easy while the real exam was hard to pass on the 1st try. I soon realized it was best to go slow on this course, retry the practice milestones several times and never do two milestone exams on the same day to avoid mental block.

While it was a slow ride, it made me feel more comfortable when I did the final exam.

I started the algebra course, but my subscription ended before I could do the first milestone exam. I planned on going slow on that course as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Avidreader's post:
  • staceydiane
(09-28-2023, 03:56 PM)Avidreader Wrote: I am terrible at math, but Sophia's Statistics was totally doable. Took me a good 3 weeks to finish the class (I did it slowly to avoid math burnout). First module felt super easy. Most are logic questions such as: you are given a deck of playing cards. Which fraction is the probability that the first card on the deck is a hearts face card? And then they show different fractions as possible answers.

The fourth module was also a breeze for me. I felt the pie chart and Venn diagram questions to be fun. The 2nd and 3rd modules were pretty difficult. Practice milestone exams were rather easy while the real exam was hard to pass on the 1st try. I soon realized it was best to go slow on this course, retry the practice milestones several times and never do two milestone exams on the same day to avoid mental block.

While it was a slow ride, it made me feel more comfortable when I did the final exam.

I started the algebra course, but my subscription ended before I could do the first milestone exam. I planned on going slow on that course as well.

I'm horrible at math but I was able to get a C in Sophia's Statistics.
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS, Board of Governors---Pierpont Community & Technical College, 12/23
Certificate, Community Health Worker---Berkeley City College, 12/23

Upcoming: 
Behavioral Health Counseling---Community College of Baltimore County, Fall 2024

Considering:
Texas A&M University-Texarkana
University of Arkansas-Little Rock

(09-28-2023, 07:29 PM)staceydiane Wrote: I'm horrible at math but I was able to get a C in Sophia's Statistics.

A pass is a pass! Good job!  Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Avidreader's post:
  • rachel83az, staceydiane

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 198 Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 119 63,542 04-25-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gamebradie
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 509 04-24-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 945 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 150 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 567 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,494 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 809 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,027 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 275 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77