Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeschooling Kids
I have two teenage sons. Both have always been home-educated excepted for a few months when they went to a private school in Central America.

I know a lot of people who homeschool. The vast majority of them are Christian. I am atheist.

I felt very uneasy with the idea of sending my little boys into government-run institutions, institutions that in 2012-2103 I saw as getting progressively more anti-white, anti-male, and anti-science. That didn't seem like a good thing to expose young children to. I figured I could get them well-grounded in the basics (reading, writing, 'rithmetic) and being able to think critically. My idea was to get them to the point where they were young men (13-15) before letting them get into the school system.

Last year, when they were 13 and 15, I let them know that they could enroll in the nearby schools if they wanted to, and that I'd help them make the transition. They thought about it a bit and ultimately decided not to enroll. One or both might change their mind, and I'd be perfectly fine with that.

There were several things that led to my decision 10+ years ago, not just one or a couple.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes StoicJ's post:
  • Charles Fout
That's cool, there so many Homeschooling OER (Open Education Resources) available online, most of very inexpensive if not free... You can also get them started with dual enrollment, CLEP/MS, or even ACE/NCCRS options if you wanted to in addition to the cheapies/freebies on the WIKI.
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-26-2023, 07:14 PM)StoicJ Wrote: institutions that in 2012-2103 I saw as getting progressively more anti-white, anti-male

Today, that's called DEI.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-26-2023, 07:14 PM)StoicJ Wrote: I have two teenage sons. Both have always been home-educated excepted for a few months when they went to a private school in Central America.

I know a lot of people who homeschool. The vast majority of them are Christian. I am atheist.

I felt very uneasy with the idea of sending my little boys into government-run institutions, institutions that in 2012-2103 I saw as getting progressively more anti-white, anti-male, and anti-science. That didn't seem like a good thing to expose young children to. I figured I could get them well-grounded in the basics (reading, writing, 'rithmetic) and being able to think critically. My idea was to get them to the point where they were young men (13-15) before letting them get into the school system.

Last year, when they were 13 and 15, I let them know that they could enroll in the nearby schools if they wanted to, and that I'd help them make the transition. They thought about it a bit and ultimately decided not to enroll. One or both might change their mind, and I'd be perfectly fine with that.

There were several things that led to my decision 10+ years ago, not just one or a couple.
Just a curiosity: Have you had discussions with any of the Christian homeschool community? I hope and pray they would welcome you.
Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy (Retired)
From ChatGPT:

There are various reasons why parents may choose to homeschool their children. It's important to note that these reasons can vary widely from family to family, and individual circumstances play a significant role. Here are some common reasons people choose homeschooling:

1. **Tailored Education:** Homeschooling allows for a personalized and flexible approach to education. Parents can tailor the curriculum to match the learning style, pace, and interests of each child, addressing their individual needs more effectively.

2. **Customized Schedule:** Homeschooling provides flexibility in scheduling. Families can design a schedule that fits their lifestyle, allowing for vacations, travel, or other activities at non-traditional times.

3. **Individualized Attention:** Homeschooling often involves smaller teacher-to-student ratios, enabling more individualized attention. This can be particularly beneficial for children with specific learning needs or those who require extra support.

4. **Freedom to Explore Interests:** Homeschooling allows children to delve deeper into subjects of personal interest, fostering a love for learning. It provides the opportunity for in-depth exploration beyond what may be covered in a traditional school setting.

5. **Flexible Learning Environment:** Homeschooling can take place in various environments, including the home, libraries, museums, or nature. This flexibility allows for a more diverse and dynamic learning experience.

6. **Values and Beliefs:** Some parents choose homeschooling to incorporate their religious or moral values into their children's education. It provides a way to ensure that the curriculum aligns with the family's beliefs and values.

7. **Safety Concerns:** In some cases, parents may be concerned about the safety of their children in traditional school settings. Homeschooling can provide a controlled and secure environment.

8. **Special Needs:** Children with special needs may benefit from the personalized attention and tailored approaches that homeschooling can offer. Parents can adapt teaching methods to better suit the needs of their children with learning or physical disabilities.

9. **Avoiding Bullying:** Concerns about bullying or negative social experiences in traditional schools may lead some parents to opt for homeschooling, where they can create a more supportive and inclusive learning environment.

10. **Family Bonding:** Homeschooling can strengthen family bonds by allowing parents to spend more time with their children. It provides opportunities for shared experiences and collaborative learning.

It's important to note that while homeschooling can be a viable option for many families, it may not be suitable for everyone. Each family's decision is influenced by their unique circumstances, values, and educational goals for their children.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-26-2023, 07:14 PM)Athiests, who aren\t disrespectful, are welcome in all Christian homeschool co-ops with which I am familiar.  I was homeschooled and participated as both a student and, more recently, as assistant instructor in homeschool co-ops. Due to the diversity of beliefs, religion is almost never addressed. That is left to parents at home.  Co-ops tend to focus on subjects more difficult to teach at home such as science courses with labs. An added is bonus is the students and teachers generally share your political values. StoicJ Wrote: I have two teenage sons. Both have always been home-educated excepted for a few months when they went to a private school in Central America.

[-] The following 1 user Likes SophiaPrincess's post:
  • soni4t4
> institutions that in 2012-2103 I saw as ...

do you have the lottery numbers for next week ?

powerball ? mega millions ?
either will do
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • ArielB74
LOL - Bought some scratch and win tickets plus the lotteries, won $15 from scratch and win... Hmm, most I won was a couple hundred, but I've spent more on lottery than actually 'winning'. Play with 'game sense', don't over play with your money and spend too much...
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-06-2023, 02:16 PM)bluebooger Wrote: > institutions that in 2012-2103 I saw as ...

do you have the lottery numbers for next week ?

powerball ? mega millions ?
either will do

I get a few right, but if you only knew how many I get wrong  Tongue

(11-27-2023, 10:23 AM)Charles Fout Wrote: Just a curiosity: Have you had discussions with any of the Christian homeschool community? I hope and pray they would welcome you.

There's a group called Classical Conversations. http://www.classicalconversations.com . Christ-centered. All over the USA. We were a part of that for almost two years. Only stopped because of Fauxvid. Students met weekly for "class time", 4-ish hours, divided by age groups. My boys really looked forward to it. 

My boys are not Christian. I think my youngest brought it up to another student once, but it never turned into anything. Parents would sometimes ask where our home church was but we just said we didn't have one. It was a very nice group of people. 10-20 families at any one time. There was a morning prayer, pledge of allegiance, etc. We'd just stand up and not say anything, and I don't think we were looked at negatively for it.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where did they go? Kids missing from public schools bjcheung77 5 692 02-16-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Rebounding - Private schools & Homeschooling... bjcheung77 0 418 09-15-2022, 06:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 761 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Parents want to know what the companies do with kids’ data bjcheung77 0 489 01-17-2022, 05:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kumon or Alternatives - For Kids - Help? bjcheung77 3 1,696 03-01-2021, 10:07 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  question about the history of homeschooling clep3705 13 2,774 10-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Awesome Testing day for kids! geissingert 6 872 11-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Last Post: AlbaTiVo
  Anyone with test-out homeschooling experience near Raleigh, NC? cookderosa 1 356 10-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  homeless kids who are highly successful in school clep3705 1 494 05-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Help with my homeschooling book! cookderosa 20 1,394 07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Hometeacher628