Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've been accepted into the Spring 2 session at UMPI!
Thanks to everyone for their help in getting me to this point, especially rachel83az and bjcheung77 who had answered all of my many, many, many questions. I will be writing up a post for beginners to share what I've learned up until this point including an updated degree plan and considerations for international students.

In the meantime, as always, I do have a few more questions:

1. My Sophia, Coursera, and SDC credits aren't being accepted as I don't have any prior college credits. Will it be possible to transfer those credits in after I earn college credits at UMPI?
  2. I have accumulated 90 credits through providers listed above, with the remaining 30 being taken at UMPI, however a majority of the credits are 300 and 400 level courses. Will I be able to skip ahead to those courses? Course list shown below.

[Image: Bla.png]
1) Interesting read... Your ACE credits should be in the process of being evaluated if not already done, you may want to email UMPI to find out who your academic advisor is and then have them send you an update with the remaining classes left.

2) You should only start at UMPI after you know you've got the 90 credits applied and the picture you have attached are the remaining ones left. If not, then start with the easiest ones first, I would get the general education classes done first...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You should be transferring in more. I know someone who transferred in over 145 credits via sophia, SL, SDC, TEEX, community college, and Saylor. She's going to be done with UMPI in a record 2 weeks because she's an ocd workaholic. MAXIMIZE YOUR TRANSFER CREDITS PRIOR TO ENROLLMENT OR YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY. Some of the UMPI degree plans are WRONG in so far as the upper level credit is concerned; but they still provide a solid starting point. Read everything and follow instructions. All the information is already available.
(01-20-2024, 02:24 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: You should be transferring in more. I know someone who transferred in over 145 credits via sophia, SL, SDC, TEEX, community college, and Saylor. She's going to be done with UMPI in a record 2 weeks because she's an ocd workaholic. MAXIMIZE YOUR TRANSFER CREDITS PRIOR TO ENROLLMENT OR YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY. Some of the UMPI degree plans are WRONG in so far as the upper level credit is concerned; but they still provide a solid starting point. Read everything and follow instructions. All the information is already available.

Sure she transferred in 145 credits, but there's more to the story. I transferred in over 190 credits. We all still must complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI and meet all other residency requirements such as minors, required ULs, GEC, etc. I don't see how anyone can complete their 10 courses in 2 weeks just based on how long grading alone takes. Everyone isn't in a rush to complete their degree in 1 term.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Darknigh7, indigoshuffle, Nemfis
(01-19-2024, 10:31 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: 1) Interesting read... Your ACE credits should be in the process of being evaluated if not already done, you may want to email UMPI to find out who your academic advisor is and then have them send you an update with the remaining classes left.

2) You should only start at UMPI after you know you've got the 90 credits applied and the picture you have attached are the remaining ones left.  If not, then start with the easiest ones first, I would get the general education classes done first...

Appreciate the advice. I've asked for the transcripts to be evaluated and confirmation to be sent as to how many courses I have left to complete. I will post the results once I have confirmation.

(01-20-2024, 02:24 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Some of the UMPI degree plans are WRONG in so far as the upper level credit is concerned;

Yep, they are badly out of date and in desperate need of a refresh. I'm going to write up a comprehensive 2024 guide once I've finalised enrolment. It will hopefully save a people time and money in the future.
(01-20-2024, 01:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-20-2024, 02:24 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: You should be transferring in more. I know someone who transferred in over 145 credits via sophia, SL, SDC, TEEX, community college, and Saylor. She's going to be done with UMPI in a record 2 weeks because she's an ocd workaholic. MAXIMIZE YOUR TRANSFER CREDITS PRIOR TO ENROLLMENT OR YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY. Some of the UMPI degree plans are WRONG in so far as the upper level credit is concerned; but they still provide a solid starting point. Read everything and follow instructions. All the information is already available.

Sure she transferred in 145 credits, but there's more to the story. I transferred in over 190 credits. We all still must complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI and meet all other residency requirements such as minors, required ULs, GEC, etc. I don't see how anyone can complete their 10 courses in 2 weeks just based on how long grading alone takes. Everyone isn't in a rush to complete their degree in 1 term.

I agree, not everyone is in a rush.

By the way, I will be providing proof of someone who completed in 2 weeks. It's actually less than 2 weeks. I'm not talking out of my arse. If you maximize your transfers, verbalize your desire to accelerate, and spend a couple hours planning, it can be done. No not everyone is in a rush, however, I imagine the whole point of transferring so much credit and "attending" a competency based program such as UMPI is because folks don't have lots of money to pay for 2 or 3 terms. Even paying for one term is tough for some. I should actually reframe the situation for OP... if she/he plans carefully, and they have the time or made the time (which is part of planning), then he/she will move through the courses faster than they think. Keeping in mind, of course, that everyone writes at a different pace.
(01-25-2024, 06:42 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: By the way, I will be providing proof of someone who completed in 2 weeks. It's actually less than 2 weeks. I'm not talking out of my arse. If you maximize your transfers, verbalize your desire to accelerate, and spend a couple hours planning, it can be done. No not everyone is in a rush, however, I imagine the whole point of transferring so much credit and "attending" a competency based program such as UMPI is because folks don't have lots of money to pay for 2 or 3 terms. Even paying for one term is tough for some. I should actually reframe the situation for OP... if she/he plans carefully, and they have the time or made the time (which is part of planning), then he/she will move through the courses faster than they think. Keeping in mind, of course, that everyone writes at a different pace.

Great so she finished in 2 weeks. Do you want a medal or a chest to pin it on? Whether she spent 2 weeks or 8 weeks, she still paid the same amount in tuition. It's extremely unrealistic for anyone to think that they will be able to complete 10 courses in 14 days. The timing on grading the Milestones alone is often 3 days and sometimes longer. UMPI has a lot of new staff and they are not as accepting of having a lot of courses open at once. Jessica is no longer an academic advisor and this has changed quite a bit of things this term.
(01-25-2024, 06:42 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote:

By the way, I will be providing proof of someone who completed in 2 weeks. It's actually less than 2 weeks. I'm not talking out of my arse. If you maximize your transfers, verbalize your desire to accelerate, and spend a couple hours planning, it can be done. No not everyone is in a rush, however, I imagine the whole point of transferring so much credit and "attending" a competency based program such as UMPI is because folks don't have lots of money to pay for 2 or 3 terms. Even paying for one term is tough for some. I should actually reframe the situation for OP... if she/he plans carefully, and they have the time or made the time (which is part of planning), then he/she will move through the courses faster than they think. Keeping in mind, of course, that everyone writes at a different pace.

Are you able to provide any insights as to how she finished in 2 weeks? My goal is to obtain all 30 credits within a single session.
(01-26-2024, 06:55 PM)FM1 Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 06:42 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote:

Are you able to provide any insights as to how she finished in 2 weeks? My goal is to obtain all 30 credits within a single session.
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-in-8-days

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a philosophy minor possible at UMPI? LevelUP 8 164 04-26-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 7 321 04-25-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 284 04-24-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 208 04-24-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 190 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 351 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 316 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,681 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,540 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 510 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1